Cost of updating SD card for satnav?

Rupert49

Reaction score
I've had my S3 Saloon now for four years and although it's got a perfectly good factory fitted satnav, I'm a bit old school, liking Google Maps and road atlases to get around. Consequently I've never really troubled to learn how to use it.

One or two techie friends are telling me they wouldn't be without their satnavs and why don't I give it a go. A cursory look through the Audi manual makes this task look really quite daunting .. there are so many different screens to toggle through, I'll need a good half hour to sit down and learn how it's done (either that or ask one of the salesmen to sit in the car with me for 10 minutes or so, when they're not too busy).

I seem to remember that when I bought the car the satnav was loaded up using an SD card (I've never seen it). I'm wondering if, after four years, it might be a good idea to ask them to update it for me. If this is possible, would there be a small charge for the service, does anyone know?

I can’t help but I’m going to follow this post as I’d be interested to. I’ve read somewhere about the first 2 updates are free or something but to be honest I have no idea - someone in the know will be along soon I’m sure :)

I can’t help but I’m going to follow this post as I’d be interested to. I’ve read somewhere about the first 2 updates are free or something but to be honest I have no idea - someone in the know will be along soon I’m sure :)

If it’s the MMI high with connect you get 3 years updates free. If it’s mmi low with sd card you got to buy the new card. Used to be around £250 not sure what it is now. Needs to be activated by dealer.
Avoid eBay ones as they can brick your unit.

You can save a fortune by installing Waze on your smartphone and fitting a ClearMount between the centre air vents.
I use it on my Note9 and find it better than the Audi satnav. It's free, updates in real time and is supported by thousands of users updating it with info pertaining to hazards ahead of you e.g. cars broken down on the hard shoulders, potholes, Smokies etc.

Reactions: blodwen715
One of my biggest gripes about my car after I bought it... at the time of ordering it was a £500 option, but when it was delivered it was inclusive as I had the 'NAV' version. Whoopee! Didn't think of it at the time, only after realised via here it was not updated foc?? My daughters older skoda fabia had virtually the same system and that got updated foc during yearly service (up to 3 years) so expected the same....

Luckily I don't rely on it.. hardly use it.. prefer to know where I am going beforehand (what did we do before them), I do have luckily a Garmin Satnav I use in another vehicle along with my phone should I need, or last ditch effort and desperation could ask the wife to look at a map:sadlike: (which I have in the car as well)!
I'm not going to pay £200-250 for an SD card!

ClearMount with Waze on your phone seconded! I didn't have nav on the car I bought but figured spending £30 on a phone holder (which looks OEM) is much better than shelling out £200+ to use factory nav which is not as good in terms of traffic updates etc.

Reactions: blodwen715
Thanks for the info about clearmounts… just ordered one, btw used a discount code - Audiworld for 10% off when ordering on their website...

What’s Clear Mount please and any links
Doesn’t Waz eat your data

I’ve got a 2018 S3 how do I find out if it’s MMI High or Low please

I’ve got a 2018 S3 how do I find out if it’s MMI High or Low please

Do you have the tech pack?
MMI high unit in the glove box should have 2 sdcard slots and SIM card. Although some don’t have the SIM card slot.
MMI low will have one of the sdcard slot filled with navigation card.

Reactions: Fozzer
Thanks for your help
I have
SD1. SIM. SD2. In that order

One of the SD slots has the nav card and the other my music card

Not sure on the tech pack but don’t think I have it

Thanks for your help
I have
SD1. SIM. SD2. In that order

One of the SD slots has the nav card and the other my music card

Not sure on the tech pack but don’t think I have it

2018 facelift cars with tech pack should have the virtual cockpit and I think b&o. That’s the easy tell tale. If you have a nav sdcard then I think it’s the MMI low.

I have B&O but not virtual cockpit
Thanks

I have B&O but not virtual cockpit
Thanks

B&o was with the black edition not tech pack. Tech pack was on top of this which gave you the VC and a whole load of stuff you probably didn’t want.