Facelift Could a missing button panel deactivate the front parking sensors?

q2us3r

Reaction score
So just finished installing the front parking sensors (already have factory fitted rear sensors), and once engaged I get parking system fault in the dash. So VCDS says internal system fault in all four sensors and an open circuit fault in the parking button. I have not installed the new button panel with the additional parking button yet (still trying to source it) hence the permanent open circuit error in VCDS. When reverse is engaged the front parking sensors activate and seem to work for the first few seconds, with all the OPS lines showing and VCDS measuring blocks indicating that all the front parking sensors are recording real distances so all seems to work but a few seconds later the front system turns off (with parking system fault) with the rear system still working. Could the missing parking button (and hence the open circuit error) be enough to cause the system to turn off with a dash error? Any way I could rewire the back of the button panel so the start/stop button could act as the front parking button just to test this theory?

Short answer; Yes, it could be the problem, the system needs to be fully installed.

I retrofitted PDC + PLA on my A3 8P and this same issue gave me f*cking headaces. I wrongly pinned the button in my dash and that fault finding was driving me nuts. To the point I just pulled the 8K PDC module and put in the 4K again lol. After I cooled down I checked everything again, fixed the issue and all working flawlessy. It's a great mod but you can't make any mistake or miss something as the system throws an long beep and quits working.

Quick update : installing the button bar did not fix the problem unfortunately... all wiring looks correct. System turns on and seems to work perfectly for 3-5 seconds and then comes with a parking fault. When scanning with VCDS I noticed that when the 8K module is plugged in the 17 Instrument Module gives the error "Control Module Incorrectly Coded" which disappears if I plug the 4K module back in. Looking at the coding of the 17 Instrument module I don't seem to find any options related to front parking sensors...