Could someone fill me in on what the main...

Backdrifts

Reaction score
Could someone fill me in on what the main differences (besides the power) are between the top of the range A3 s-line 2.0t, and the s3. I'm interested to see if IMO its worth the extra money.

thanks.

Also has there been a face lift yet on the new style of a3? i'm on old style s3 owner and i'm not up to speed on these things.

Different engine
Different bodykit
different suspension
different brakes
different wheels
different exhaust system
different interior which can also be specced with Recaro's

yes, a facelift came out in 2005 to the big mouth front grill and then another front bumper and rear bumper version came out where a small lip was included in the front bumper

2005 front bumper:
a3sportback05.jpg

2006/7 front bumper:
ag_07a3_front2.jpg

S3:
audi_a3.jpg

I think I'll go and test drive them both, i've not really had a good look at them both, but the only thing that tells them apart from me in the street is the chrome mirrors. the new one seems to be a bit tame, it hasn't got the flared arch look that the old one had, that set it apart from the a3 for me.

yeah the arches are the same but there is a big enough difference to easily tell them apart

there still is a big price difference between a top of the range s-line and a S3!

also consider that the s-line can be tuned to s3 power-ish!

As an S3 owner I can easily identifu an S3 when I see one, but the main differences are engine (not just a remap...), brakes (the same as 3.2 Q), a little difference in suspension.

I'm not sure it the Haldex software is different from a 2.0T quattro, read somewhere in the forum that has different settings but not sure..

If you do not plan to chip, tune, upgrade your car go for the S3, a bit more exclusive within the S3 range and good as it comes. Other wise go for a 2.0 and chip, tune, etc and you will get a very fast car probably cheaper than the S3...

Pedro

I was just looking at the configirator on the audi site. And if you want to upgrade to the bbs 2 piece alloys, its 600 quid in the s3 configirator, but only 200 quid in the a3 configirator.

how can they justify a 400 quid difference for what is the same alloy?

That is probably a mistake of the configurator I would say... Mate keep the standard S3 wheels... That also sets the car apart from the others. Did not like them to begin with, find them very nice now, really grown on me.

Pedro

rims are easily changed! don't base your decision on wheel style!

When I test drove mine the dealer had a remapped 2l TQ and an S3 todrive and to be honest the S3 for me was a better drive - you need to try both cars to see what youthink, but 5000 miles on I havent been disapointed once withthe extra the S3 cost.

Same here, absolutly no disappointment at all! And get those bucket seats!!!!

Having said that I start to feel that 265bhp are not enough any more... I think it is a chronic disease...... want more!!! hence my new signature! ;)

Pedro

Backdrifts said:
I was just looking at the configirator on the audi site. And if you want to upgrade to the bbs 2 piece alloys, its 600 quid in the s3 configirator, but only 200 quid in the a3 configirator.

how can they justify a 400 quid difference for what is the same alloy?
My guess is that it is the cost difference that makes it £400 more expensive. It is possible that the S3 wheels are actually cheaper to produce/cheaper for Audi to buy in than the S-Line wheels are. I've got no proof to back it up, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, when you are deciding which to go for, bare in mind that you will get a much bigger discount off an S-Line model than you will off an S3. A lot of dealers won't give any discount on the list price of an S3, but some will happily give you a 10% discount off the list price of an S-Line.

Don't bother with the 2.0T, go with the S3 if you can afford it. You will regret not spending the little extra for it if you don't.

FYI Boydie, what you call the "2006/7 front bumper" is actually the S-Line bumper (which used to be a separate styling option on top of the S-Line spec but is now part of the standard S-Line). Base, SE & Sport models still come with the "old" style.

thanks verty! i was just under the impression that it was another facelift front bumper

in my opinion, its the nicest bumper for the A3, pity i need the bonnet also to fit it :(