couple of questions

hammondr

Reaction score
should your timing belt rotate when you remove your spark plugs put the car in gear and push it ?

How do you get the engine to rotate by hand ?

:meeting:

Yes it should, because the car is in gear so the engine is connected to the transmission which is connected to the wheels. The wheels turning will turn the transmission which will turn the engine.

As for rotating the engine by hand you need a socket on a pulley.

yes if you have car in gear, but not if car in neutral . you need to crank the bottom pully

and if it doesn't move does that mean your engine is siezed

if your car is in second gear with clutch up you should be able to push car but you have to use some force it will not just roll . make sure ignition turned of when pushing , you will feel resistance but should be able to push it .

should the belt move when i am pushing itwhen it is in second

yes plus the other pullys should move , what happens when you turn engine with key .

thecar just gradually stopped when was driving about 15-20mph oil and water and belt are fine allready checked the starter can check the alternator

are you sure the battery is good or could it be flat , also that click could be loose lead on battery terminal or connection to starter loose. if alternator moving then your engine fine as this would not move if engine siezed .

any lights on dash when you was driving . could be alternator broke and you have lost all power due to battery completly drained . get it checked out or try to jump car with leads to see if it starts

when i say moving alternator i mean the is some movement but it is not working as it should i though dodgy alternator to but the RAC who came checked the battery told me it was fine jumped in the car got me and my mate to push him then said engine is siezed i thought what you can tell that with a volt meter and the just towed me home

well you can not tell engine siezed with a volt meter , but rac should know what they are doing . can you just not push car at all when in gear , try 4th gear it will push easier . if engine siezed you will not be able to push it . also in my opinion when a engine siezes whilst being driven you would hear some pretty horrible noises or even put a hole in the block etc

also in my opinion when a engine siezes whilst being driven you would hear some pretty horrible noises or even put a hole in the block etc

yip ma saab turbo engine did this, sounded like al manner of things broke but i was doing 100mph behind a celica:arco:, towed home and car wouldnt start just a clicking noise took rocker cover of and could see the mess inside:sos:. If you've got any mechanical exp try see if it will bump start, failing that i'd get someone who knows audis to have a look at engine if you think its siezed someone will be able to try turn the crank with socket which will either rule this out or confirm your worse fears.

cheers i will update ayou tommorow on what happening if it not raining

what do you mean you can test a battry unless it is under a load you can test the ampage but you can test the voltage

See if the engine will actually turn either by using a socket on the crank bolt, or by sticking the car in gear, ignition off and see if pushing or pulling her a few meters is possible. This will turn the engine for you if it's not siezed.

Just before you cut out, were any lights on the dash?

no warning if it doesnt turn it the scrapies for it then be cause i not paying for a new engine and to get it fitted anyone

when i say moving alternator i mean the is some movement but it is not working as it should i though dodgy alternator to but the RAC who came checked the battery told me it was fine jumped in the car got me and my mate to push him then said engine is siezed i thought what you can tell that with a volt meter and the just towed me home

The RAC person worked out the engine was seized because he got you to push the car. This is the same technique that is suggested in the posts above. Did the car move when you pushed it?

Still its good you haven't taken his word for it. Get a couple of people to help you push, it may not budge so easily.

yes it moved when we pushed it but i don't if it was in gear its raining anyway so i will not be ******* about with it today

will it be really hard to push in 4rth with the spark plugs or is it easier to move the crank pulley ps was talking to some one last night and he suggested a jammed pulley could this be an optopn

rain went of so went out and pushed the banger and engine turned:o.k: so was wondering would your car work if alternator was faulty and there was a charge in the battery(12.4volts)

Engine should turn.

Sounds like a faulty starter.

Also, check all the electrical earth points in the engine bay.

Yes, push start is the next thing to try. If it still does not start, then you really should take it to a mechanic. I think RAC offer a free tow to a nearby garage...or if you can find a mobile mechanic...

By that time you will have tried a few things, so at least you will be in a (kind of) informed position when dealing with the mechanic.