Couple Of Quick Questions

grathies

More Points Than Portsmouth FC
Reaction score
Hello A2 People

Ive currently got an 8L S3, looking and down sizing as Im really not getting the use out of the 350 horses going to and from work!

Been looking at A2s, the 90bhp 1.4 TDi variant, and was wondering how you guys get on with them fuel wise and general driving? Im quite aware that its gonna be smaller and a hell of alot slower than the S3 but how do you find normal town and motorway driving?

Secondly, what options are available for tuning? Im guessing there must be some kind of chip/remap to get a couple more ponys, but what about diesel geek short shifts/derv doctor recirc valves? Im not after blistering performance that Im never gonna get from that engine, just a little bit more poke and a more managed fuel delivery, Ive always avoided diesels but I really like the look of the A2 for a smaller, more sensible car.

And lastly, is the leather option on A2s quite a rare thing to see? Ive had a look about and have seen only a handfull with leather!

Thanks in advance for your help

Hello A2 People

Ive currently got an 8L S3, looking and down sizing as Im really not getting the use out of the 350 horses going to and from work!

Been looking at A2s, the 90bhp 1.4 TDi variant, and was wondering how you guys get on with them fuel wise and general driving? Im quite aware that its gonna be smaller and a hell of alot slower than the S3 but how do you find normal town and motorway driving?

Secondly, what options are available for tuning? Im guessing there must be some kind of chip/remap to get a couple more ponys, but what about diesel geek short shifts/derv doctor recirc valves? Im not after blistering performance that Im never gonna get from that engine, just a little bit more poke and a more managed fuel delivery, Ive always avoided diesels but I really like the look of the A2 for a smaller, more sensible car.

And lastly, is the leather option on A2s quite a rare thing to see? Ive had a look about and have seen only a handfull with leather!

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi mate

Speaking from experience, but not as an expert, the A2 is pretty good on fuel at about 55mpg to 65mpg in the TDI. The boot has actually got more volume space that the A3 (all part of the design and Audi space frame technology) providing you don't have the space saver option fitted.

I have the TDI sport which is available on the 75 and 90 model, the seats are hard (like all German cars) the suspension is rock hard GMBH Audi sport dept suspension and with the 205x40R17 is make for a harsh ride, but i like it. But like i say, if its not for you, don't buy a sport model :thumbsup: The amount of people that buy a sport and change the suspension and then the wheels for 15" wheels and high side wall tyres is beyond me.

The car is not the most refined as it only has 3 cylinders so on tick over its a little agricultural. When you remove the bonnet (it doesn't lift up like normal cars) you will see that its a tiny 3 pot thats no bigger than a 30cm ruler in width. But with a remap from someone like Stealth and a rolling road you will get very good torque figures and the power to weight will make it pull like a train, due to the custom remap and all alloy chassis and bodywork. They have several A2s at Stealth that they do all there own work on, including all the custom remaps, instead of a generic plug and play.

So on balance you will be getting a great car with more room than most think, with a visit to Stealth racing you can push the output up nicely, still get 55 - 65mpg (like mine) and £35 tax.

On the subject of leather, yes it is more of a top end option, along with the open sky feature, both require a small premium on the price, however both will need maintenance as the car ages.

Good luck with you potential purchase:salute:

Check out my other posts about the A2 for further info

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58146

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=59122

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=74020

Thanks very much Unkle, food for thought! Will have a read thru the post links etc now

I was also thinking of the Fabia VRS but I know Ill tune that more, moving away from modified cars a bit, maturing too fast atm lol

I can second everything that unkle says, I have moved from an A3 tdi to a A2 90bhp Tdi a year ago and the performance surprised me to say its a little 3 pot, obviously its a long way from an S3 but surprisingly nippy & I find motorway driving no problem at all , just as good easily as my A3, and the space inside is quite surprising too especially with the back seats removed it becomes a little van, the harsh ride is my only gripe but I am running on 17's with a 40(i think) sidewall, Stealth can remap the 90 bhp to 130 bhp and with the shockers upgraded to koni fsd's it makes for quite a pocket rocket that handles too, I have been in such an A2 & I can say I was surprised & impressed.

Not convinced by the FSD's personally though Willnabby. The concept sounds great with the frequency damping, but i have heard a sizeable number of users reporting odd ride heights, and instability at speed. Then you need to use lowered front springs and standard rear and all sorts of probs with what type of springs etc. All sounds like a bit of a bodge to me just to get the ride height back to normal or lowered 20mm(as the FSD's raise the ride height). All the money spent and then fit odd spring rated springs just to balance the ride height:uhm:

Personally i would go for FK konigsport or KW1 to set the height correctly, and as they use the koni performance shocks in the FK, it is a very good option which will last. Top adjustable damping for tuning to your requirements as well. Picking up a set myself soon.

The fabia is a great car and very capapble for hitting stupid performance levels. But it is a 1.9TDI hanging in the front of the chassis and that doens't make for the best handling in a small car. I have driven some of the Polo's with the 1.9TDI and you really notice the weight. The Fabia is 360kilos more than a A2 (Polo 200kilos), its a lot for a small car especially when you think the Fabia weighs the same as a Golf GTI 2004 DSG. I don't think they did a great job on the Polo to balance this weight, perhaps the added weight of the fabia RS is supposed to balance it, but its a little heavy. Its also made of normal metal pressed steel unlike the A2, but will probably be easier to replace body parts for compared to the A2.

The best thing is to try both out on a country road near you, they are probably both great cars.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks Martin,motorway driving was a bit of a concern for me, I know it will be a tough adjustment to the lack of power but atm Ive got too much power for the road really, made it from here to Bristol and back countless times without being overtaken once!

Thanks for the help and advice Unkle, your other posts are a good read! I need to get out in one, having worked for Vw in the past, the A2 is one of the only cars Ive never driven

I'd not heard about ride height probs with the koni only something about changing the bumpstops ? the FK's sound a brilliant alternative , so can you just keep the standard spring set up with those and the height's right? what the price of those like?

Hi

No you replace the lot, The FK konigsport are coilovers, ride height and damping adjustable kits about £600ish. Not far off the FSD (at £400 plus springs).

http://www.venommotorsport.com/manu...roduct=KonigsportCoilovers&make=Audi&model=A2

You will find many coilover kits around and lots of cheap ones, but TBH if its not KW or FK konigsport coilovers i wouldn't bother (the konigsport word indicates the kit is supplied with Koni sport shocks).

Don't get me wrong i think the concept of FSD's are great, and it will make the ride softer, but the combination of weitec front -30mm springs and the sport springs at the rear, and not the SE springs. All then dependant on whether its a Petrol or Diesel and then dependant on the colour code of the spring etc, all seems like a bodge to make them look right.

But with a decent coilover kit you set the damping and ride height yourself.

5x100

ET 33-35 I think from memory, if it stops raining i will have a look

Thanks Unkle, gives me a better idea as Im not a huge fan of the standard fitment wheels Ive seen so far

May have to keep my spare standard S3 Avus alloys

Just checked and suprised to see its ET38.

You have a good amount of room next to the strut at the front and back, but i think the issue with much less than ET35 is the inner arch lining front and rear. Just a finger width at the back and on full lock not much at the front.
THe Avus are nice, i do tend to the think the Audi originals or the avus are the best natural looking ones.

Yeah, Im not a fan of the RSTTs or A8s etc

Sorry to keep picking your brains but you obviously know a bit about them!

Just seen this A2 picture:
A2Sport.jpg

Now it says it has the Sport bodykit fitted, am I correct in assuming this is just a front and rear lower bumper spoiler and sideskirts? Its possibly just my lazy sunday eyes but it looked as if the arches were bigger too, sure its just a photographic effect

Thats the bodykit I have, it's as you say plus it'll have a bigger tailgate spoiler, my alloys are et 35 i think, (6 spoke TT ones) with 215/40/17's fitted they clear the front fine and are very close to the liner at the rear but not causing any rubbing problems.

The arches are standard on all A2 uk models (not sure if the 1.2 is different). But like Willnabby says the rest is a bolt on kit.

@ Willnabby i thought mine would be ET35 or something, but they are ET38 on mine (had the car since new) so not sure if they changed the offset.

Do you get any rubbing with adults in the back? (that doesn't sound right):whistle2: As you are running the taller 215/40x17 instead of the standard 205/40x17?

I wish I did get a bit of rubbing in the back with an adult! but sadly not, LOL, seriously though, I think it's because I'm running SE suspension which is 20mm ( I think) taller than sport, I couldn't cope with sport here in sheffield, the roads are shocking. Ill check what my offset is when I wash it next I'm sure its marked with it under the hubcap.

I've had a look today at the offset of my wheels and there ET32, I would guess that would be the lowest possible anymore then they would foul the rear arch liner.

ET32!!

Are they the OE A2 sport wheels like mine or the pic below? I thought thats what you had on yours?

If they are OE wheels and aren't after market wheel that is interesting...:think:

Yeah they are OE audi from a TT, I was surprised too to see they are ET32, but as I say they only just clear at the rear by the mm when I've got some weight in the back, maybe with a different brand of tyre on they may rub they are that close but up to now all is well, here's a pic of which type of rim they are.

PB124412.jpg

Last edited: