Courtesy Headlights

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed on the Mk5 Golf's that when you unlock the car with the alarm the headlights turn on, is it an optional extra on the A3?

Mine stay on for 45 seconds after locking up.

They automatically come on when unlocking as well.

In addition, they come on or stay on when you open the drivers door.

I think that this is a function that comes with xenons or the auto lights sensor.

I like it, it's very handy.

I have this option on my A3 54 plate S Line - pretty sure its called home function?...i think!. Stays on after you have locked the car to.

Quite funny as people look at you odd as you park your car and walk off with the lights left on - a girl at work chased after me as she parked behind me telling me "your lights are you tw&t!" i then had to explain it turns itself off!.

oh right i guess its an option then, i have xenons but i don't have this function......

Perhaps it comes with the auto-lights. My SE has Xenons and I have the home function (little button next to the light switch). Leave it switched off to be honest!

It's part of the light & rain sensor pack option and is enabled using a small switch next to the main headlight switch.

It's totally independent of the xenon option.

It's also an option on the Golf, or at least doesn't come on all models.

The option is called "Coming home / Leaving Home".

And i have to agree, the option is very handy indeed + it looks good ;)

Only one problem with it - I've lost count of how many times I've walked away from the car at night or in a car park and had someone shout over "hey mate, you've left your lights on". You then have to replay "it's ok, they turn themselves off" and which point I think most of them probably think to themselves "flash git" :(

I'm glad there's a switch to turn the feature off easily. At home I park my car facing away from the house, so don't really want the lights staying on. Now what would be handy is if you could make the reverse light stay on, as that is right next to my front door :yes:

Leveling the lights? I agree with Vertigo1, I always think someone is going to say something when I walk off from the car in supermarket

Vertigo1 said:
Only one problem with it - I've lost count of how many times I've walked away from the car at night or in a car park and had someone shout over "hey mate, you've left your lights on". You then have to replay "it's ok, they turn themselves off" and which point I think most of them probably think to themselves "flash git" :(
Know what you mean this happens to me all the time!