crap headlights

jimmy77

Reaction score
hi ive got a 53 reg 190 quattro sport and the headlights are pants! main beam are not that bad but cant leave these on all the time!! ive checked alignment and they are not too hight or too low they just dont do much!! i am seriously thinking of a HID conversion kit but will this make a good improvement or am i wasting my time? if this is a good idea can anyone recommend a kit?

hi jimmy yes i put 6000k HIDs on mine and cant believe i did not do it before lights work grate so id say go for it mate
i cant say what ones to buy but sure some one on here will point you in the right direction

hi ive got a 53 reg 190 quattro sport and the headlights are pants! main beam are not that bad but cant leave these on all the time!! ive checked alignment and they are not too hight or too low they just dont do much!! i am seriously thinking of a HID conversion kit but will this make a good improvement or am i wasting my time? if this is a good idea can anyone recommend a kit?
Its not just your car mate, if you dont have hid then a few candles give out a better light.Id take the cheap option first by trying some higher power bulbs preferably the ones that state for off road use only.HID can be pretty expensive, so try a set of 20 squidders first

thanks guys, yeh i was thinking of the 100w bulbs but like you say they are £20 but ive seen some hid kits for £60 ish, might be a more cost effective in the long run, and i did try the 100w route on a old zx volcane and it didnt make much difference!! this might be a silly question but apart from the ballasts etc is it just a case of swapping the old halogens with the new HID units? no mods to the headlight itself?

Im also looking at new bulbs. Was just about to purchase a set of the super duper Philips Extreme until i saw this thread on here.

The HID conversation? Could anyone do this for me in the Essex area? I will sort you out some beer money.

jimmy all you have to do with the headlight is drill a small hole under it to run the wiers out to the ballasts thats it mate
louis you can fit them your self mate evan if you no nothing about cars will take a max of 1hr to do really easy mate ;-)

There is knowing nothing about cars and then there is knowing nothing about cars. I'm the latter

Is there a DIY guide knocking around anywhere?

its on here some where i think there is a few on here lol it always being talked about ;-)

I would like a DIY guide too.

The guy who bought the set off diane shop, what canbus cancellers did you buy to go with it to stop the DIS warning?

Canbus what?

I didn't they dont give any warnings at all. Only problem I have is on a cold day if i turn the lights on after starting the abs sensor goes nuts due to low current.

Canbus what?

I didn't they dont give any warnings at all. Only problem I have is on a cold day if i turn the lights on after starting the abs sensor goes nuts due to low current.

That's what CANBUS cancellers are for.
I'm looking at these as the ones i bought before had ballasts the size of bricks and the plastic base of the bulb was too thick to be cliped in properly.
CANBUS Xenon HID Conversion KIT H1 H7 H11 HB3 HB4 HB4 3 on eBay (end time 31-Dec-10 12:05:00 GMT)

That's what CANBUS cancellers are for.
I'm looking at these as the ones i bought before had ballasts the size of bricks and the plastic base of the bulb was too thick to be cliped in properly.
CANBUS Xenon HID Conversion KIT H1 H7 H11 HB3 HB4 HB4 3 on eBay (end time 31-Dec-10 12:05:00 GMT)

Nah its nothing to do with the canbus, its due to cold cranking on the battery dropping the voltage too low and the HIDs will zap a lot of current on startup.

See it on most cars when the battery is low :) BMW X6 gives a 4wd warning.

Are u sure theres going to be a canbus issue with his vehicle?? Ive gone down the LED route for my interior and reg plate bulbs and they were the bog standard ones...not the canbus free jobs.My car treated them like normal bulbs.In fact the dash warned me when one failed.Yet put the same bulbs in a mates A4cab and they pinged his dash

Are u sure theres going to be a canbus issue with his vehicle?? Ive gone down the LED route for my interior and reg plate bulbs and they were the bog standard ones...not the canbus free jobs.My car treated them like normal bulbs.In fact the dash warned me when one failed.Yet put the same bulbs in a mates A4cab and they pinged his dash

LEDs bring up a canbus isue on mine but I got the canbus error free ones off ebay. , I cannot be certain but i can say HIDs did not give me any errors on my dash .

You should not fit HID's without washers and self leveling.

You should not fit HID's without washers and self leveling.

i think most of us on here have HIDs with out them mate and have no problems with MOTs or police as long as you have them iline i dont see a problem

i see what your saying mate and trust me i whent back and forth with should i or shoudnt i not and i found the same web page you put up yet after reading it i still did it any way as it was more dangers on the roads before as the audi lights before were rubish than i am now as i can see ;-)

Im currently thinking of upgrading to HID's for my fogs and replacing my bulbs for 6000k as the OEM ones arent that great

id not do the fogs in HIDs myself in the fog they would be crap not that we get much fog and i cant evan rember the last time i drove in it lol i have 6000k in my main beam and like them a lot

Last edited:
A HID conversion is still something I think about often. Perhaps I will get around to it in the summer. Which is strange as I won't need them then, ha.

Always enjoy reading the debate as to HID's or not. One of my main concerns is the possible bulb warning failure's on the DIS and I just can't be bothered with that hassle.

A HID conversion is still something I think about often. Perhaps I will get around to it in the summer. Which is strange as I won't need them then, ha.

Always enjoy reading the debate as to HID's or not. One of my main concerns is the possible bulb warning failure's on the DIS and I just can't be bothered with that hassle.

Does it not get dark n the summer where you live :S

For the record I just fitted them, not fussed about leveling and all that If police give me a slap on the wrist Ill claim ignorance in the, the lights looked just like the xenon ones and I had a garage fit them a few years ago and they didnt say anything . Simples, if they make a big fuss and ban them aka MOT then I'll remove but by then I'll have probably have a new car with xenons standard tbh.

lol

For the record I just fitted them, not fussed about leveling and all that If police give me a slap on the wrist Ill claim ignorance in the, the lights looked just like the xenon ones and I had a garage fit them a few years ago and they didnt say anything . Simples, if they make a big fuss and ban them aka MOT then I'll remove but by then I'll have probably have a new car with xenons standard tbh.

i would do the same just say was on the car when i got it ;-)

thanks for all the info guys, so can anyone recommend some? would rather get some from uk as shipping times etc!! euro car parts do a set but they dont say the temp colour!! i was thinking of 6000k!!

Haha, fair point. It does get dark but we hardly use the car so they'd be of more use in winter when it's dark for so long.

I might have to just order a set and fit them without telling the mrs :)

I was on a Roadside Check with the Traffic Police and VoSA a couple of weeks ago and a Chav Chariot was pulled. It had a HID kit fitted to reflector headlights. I'd been told by the same VoSA officer before about the washers and self leveling which he said must be present. I then asked if anything would be done about it, to which the VoSA guy and Police said 'Nothing they could do'. So off he went with not even a delayed prohibition notice.

Last edited: