Crazy fuel prices

75b20871278299c552a5244476e72953.jpg

Filled up on the motorway near Teignmouth today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

174.9p for super a few days ago. Filled up just before the 5p reduction

I'm just doing fewer miles now to offset the increased cost, it's never going to come down now either so everyone should factor in the higher running costs for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Raiden
I'm just doing fewer miles now to offset the increased cost, it's never going to come down now either so everyone should factor in the higher running costs for the foreseeable future.
For a lot there’s only so much offsetting/absorbing these costs.
feel bad for a lot of folks who can’t absorb the ever increasing cost of living.
utilities is through the roof now, mine up £150 a month, groceries increasing, cost of running/owning cars increasing, national insurance increasing. The average family is looking at £3k+ To absorb these.
To earn £3k after tax you need a pay rise of around £5k depending on your tax band.
I can say that next to no one is getting a £5k payrise this year.

5p cut in the Tax on fuel but pretty much zero passed on to the public so basically just as usual the mega rich fuel companies are still having a bumper time!
They're creating new bench marks for energy that will become the norm, feels like a case of wringing the neck of it before the next big change comes...

Indeed. I've just paid 179.9p for RON97 from BP, no-one else local has any Super Unleaded, to fill the Alfa. What would have been £45 just after Christmas is now £63! It's a ******* **** take.

It is not good for a lot of us I agree, but it is going to get a lot worse and for some time aswell.
As much as it is going to be a really difficult time juggling household finances, and our household is one of the millions that will be doing just that, we really need to look at how best to utilize what we can and where we can, I can see it being just like the early 70's again, not good frankly.
At least I've offloaded the cars and bikes I don't need so have removed an element of outlay there but it's just the tip of a very big iceberg.
This should be a wake-up call to the UK and other countries.

It is not good for a lot of us I agree, but it is going to get a lot worse and for some time aswell.
As much as it is going to be a really difficult time juggling household finances, and our household is one of the millions that will be doing just that, we really need to look at how best to utilize what we can and where we can, I can see it being just like the early 70's again, not good frankly.
At least I've offloaded the cars and bikes I don't need so have removed an element of outlay there but it's just the tip of a very big iceberg.
This should be a wake-up call to the UK and other countries.

totally agree. There’s a lot of wastage we all have and can improve on. Now I see why my gran used to walk round the house switching off the sockets as it wasted power leaving everything on standby.

I'm not really an oldie but i do understand the qualities of saving of resources etc , cutting back on wastage whether it's fuels, foodstuffs etc as my parents were quite savy that way, well my grandparents were thanks to the war.
Sadly newer generation are not so used to having to make do, everything is laid on the plate, get what you want straight away situation so when things get a bit difficult its harder to cope.
I'm as guilty as many for wanting to get the latest products and foodstuffs straight away without worrying about its cost and availability but I can switch back to economy mode for a better description if need be.
So it's going to be tough, yes, but we don't feel threatened by the thought of what is to come, just deal with it and carry on the best we can, it's all one can do.
There is no magic cash machine under the kitchen floor with unlimited withdrawals which is what really grates on me with celebs always banging on about their new multimillion-pound shed or knicker draw, ok they are loaded but don't rub our faces in it.

There's an old say, "common we maybe, vulgar we ain't"

Good job that the Govt is pushing us all towards leccy everything. My gas bill is perhaps 4x less than my leccy bill.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

The world needs a hard reset, a massive catastrophic event right now, stop the rapid decline on all fronts and start over.

Reactions: Garrett 69 and AlS3BE
Pretty well all my car project funds (now just the B7) are generated from the sale of old kit I have collected over time.
Bits we don't need or can't use , and it does provide a good source of funds but once it's gone, it's gone for good.
I have a lot of Ducati racing parts that i kept as spares but just don't need them now.
Sold a 916 racing carbon fuel tank last month for £2k which was a nice top-up of funds, so it serves a purpose and doesn't deplete our monthly cash flow just yet but with pension pot lacking that maybe a rethink.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Garrett 69
Whatever happened to Biodiesel made from algae? Was that feasible in the end?
I'd love to convert my A3 to electric to semi futureproof it but it would be such a shame to scrap that beautiful 1.9TDI engine

I used to use old filtered chip shop oil in my compact tractor before they started charging more for used veg oil than red diesel.

And this logic that by shopping around for fuel will benefit your wallet, well depending on how far you travel to get the fuel in the first place that maynot be the case.
If it's still local to you then yes maybe worth a few quids, but a friend drove 30 miles to get filled up, only afterwards to realise that it cost him more to drive further than he saved....what was he thinking, well I know what he was thinking and it just wasn't sense.

Utilities bill which were around £200 for quarter are now going to be over £700 per month from 1st April, council tax is increased as well. Groceries are going up as well. Need to figure out how to balance outgoings with incoming of funds asap otherwise savings pot will be empty within a year. Need pay rise as mentioned in earlier posts.

** Going to flash the car back to stock to save some pennies on fuel **

Are you on a variable rate for gas/elec then?
that does seem like a big hike.

Unusually efficient on my side of things and for our household I sort of had a feeling things would be going up a fair bit in the new year bit so changed to a fixed 3 year deal with EDF back in last October. I have Mr Lewis to thank last october for his insight aswell.
It was a bit of a risk as prices may have stayed at a stable rate and we'd paid over the top on a 3 year contract.
Prices were creeping up then so it went from 19p pKwh to 25p pKwh , so a small increase but our bill haven't increased much, a few pounds over the winter period.
The summer period should be low.

Glad I did as on a variable it would have just gone through the roof.
We don't use that much gas so hopefully, the increase won't be too bad, either way, it's still an increase we could do without.

Utilities bill which were around £200 for quarter are now going to be over £700 per month from 1st April, council tax is increased as well. Groceries are going up as well. Need to figure out how to balance outgoings with incoming of funds asap otherwise savings pot will be empty within a year. Need pay rise as mentioned in earlier posts.

** Going to flash the car back to stock to save some pennies on fuel **
Ouch!

Surprisingly, I've just had my C-Tax through and it's gone up by a whopping £43 on last year. The smallest increase in the last decade! At the moment, I'm paying an average of £50 p/m for gas and electricity, I dread to think what that will go up to.

I'm building a new workshop later this year and I'm fitting solar panels to the roof. I've also got a back up generator to plumb in which I'll set up to provide peak power and charge the solar batteries at the same time. I'm hoping that my generation will outweigh my usage, averaged over the year, so I could technically be off the grid. It's just lucky that I work in power generation so all the parts will cost a fraction of what they would to the average consumer.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Charlie Farley
I'd love to be "off the grid " in more ways than just power generation..lol

Reactions: AlS3BE
Must be a typo, no way that utilities can be £700 per month.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

A couple of months ago, Mrs Grumpy and I decided to make a few adjustments, to try and bring our consumption down. Nothing drastic, but leaving fewer things in standby, switching stuff off if we went for a half-hour walk, not leaving the pc on all day as a matter of routine (unless I'm working, then it had to be on). The only meaningful change is that we unplugged our wine cooker and went back to putting a bottle in the fridge at a time.

I take monthly meter reading for my supplier's website; the reasing I took yesterday show consumption is down 24% compared with the same period last year.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Garrett 69
A couple of months ago, Mrs Grumpy and I decided to make a few adjustments, to try and bring our consumption down. Nothing drastic, but leaving fewer things in standby, switching stuff off if we went for a half-hour walk, not leaving the pc on all day as a matter of routine (unless I'm working, then it had to be on). The only meaningful change is that we unplugged our wine cooker and went back to putting a bottle in the fridge at a time.

I take monthly meter reading for my supplier's website; the reasing I took yesterday show consumption is down 24% compared with the same period last year.
tesco.jpg

Reactions: jdp1962 and AlS3BE

Of course, that's a wine cooler, not cooker! :tearsofjoy: