Facelift Creak when going over speed bumps

f1nny

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

As the title suggests I have a creaking sound coming from the front of my car. It's a 66 plate 1.0 TFSI Sport that's done 7000 miles. It doesn’t seem to be coming from the suspension as I can't replicate the sound when I mount a kerb with either front wheel, only when going over sharp speed bumps with both wheels. I also can't here it outside when I have the fully window down. The noise is only really audible when the windows are up.

The noise sounds like some sort of plastic is flexing and making a creaking sound. It appears to be coming from front behind the dash/drivers foot well.

Any idea's what it could be? Or what I can check? It's going into Audi on 28th for another fault so I want to try narrowing it down to make things easier.

So far I've;
Opened the door when going over bump to make sure it's not the door seals.
Checked the window seals
Emptied all storage compartments in the vehicle, including the boot and the spare wheel.
Checked that it's not the seat belt.
I've even had a look and feel under the bonnet, including rocking the engine a little.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any idea's what it could be? Or what I can check? It's going into Audi on 28th for another fault so I want to try narrowing it down to make things easier.

Cheers

Finny

I had something similar from new and it was a faulty strut top bearing - a well known problem unfortunately.

Pop the bonnet and have someone to listen to top of the suspension mounts as you turn the wheel lock to lock whilst stationary.

Reactions: f1nny
We had a problem with creaking front suspension on our Golf VII. Particularly audible at low speed when going over undulations, gentle speed bumps, etc.

There's a Technical Service Note with VW for requiring the lower front suspension balljoint to have a specific grease applied to it, as a warranty issue. I was highly sceptical when the VW dealer diagnosed it; but to be fair it has totally eliminated the noise. About 2k miles after it hasn't recurred yet.

It may not be the same thing, but hope it helps some people...

Thanks for the replies guys. I've done wheel lock to lock whilst stationary and it doesn't appear to be making any noises.

Like you say it might be that the ball joints or bushes might need greasing. I've just tried the car this morning on the way to work and the knock/creak happens when going over the speed bump on the down part and happens between 10-15 mph but more 10 mph than anything.

I'd go back to the stealers and ask them to lightly grease the front balljoints and a few of the bushes. Then see if that takes the noise away.
I know from previous Audis, that when replacing control arms and suspension, that the whole setup should be preloaded on the ground then tightend up, otherwise premature failure on bushes, and the first sign of bushes failing was the creak going over speed bumps at low speeds.

In your case it should be the bushes may be dry.

I always found my A3 creaked over bumps and on a loan A3 I had for a few days, especially when cold. I think it's the rubber bushes that get stiff and cause the creak when excessive suspension travel is applied.

I had the bushes greased on my PFL for a creak both sides when going down the multi storey ramps at work, so sounds like a similar situation to you & more audiable from within the car as you say.

Well I've spoken to the dealer today and added it to the fault list as the car is already booked in on 28th for a MMI fault. They're going to get the tech to come in the car with us so I can show him exactly when it occurs.

By the sounds of it though it seems like a common problem on the A3 and the MQB platform in general.

Like you all mention it sounds like it's the bushes & ball joints that need greasing, as I can only here the noise from inside the cabin. It can't be heard with the windows down even on a quite street at night when going over speed bumps.

I can't replicate the fault either by going over a bump with one wheel, only a speed bump where both wheels go over.

Nice one for the input guys.

Finny

Both wheels?
Get them to grease the anti roll bar bushes too!!!!
Years ago on my MKV GTI I had an aftermarket ARB on and the bushes were sooooo tight on the bar that the bar moved ever so slightly on bumps it squeaked. Thats why lots of ARB bushes now have grease nipples.

Just a quick update.

Picked my car up today and the suspension noise is gone. As mentioned a few members about their golf mk7 there is a TPI for the noise but Audi now have now which involves removing the lower control arm and greasing the bushes with lithium grease. The paperwork I got off them doesn't say the TPI but it does say they rebuilt the lower control arm so they must of removed the bushes, greased them up, and then put them back in.

Just a quick update.

Picked my car up today and the suspension noise is gone. As mentioned a few members about their golf mk7 there is a TPI for the noise but Audi now have now which involves removing the lower control arm and greasing the bushes with lithium grease. The paperwork I got off them doesn't say the TPI but it does say they rebuilt the lower control arm so they must of removed the bushes, greased them up, and then put them back in.

Out of interest do you know the cost of this?

My A3 does this too when I go over bumps and not when i mount kerbs etc, done it since i bought it, had it a year and it's a 63 plate. Unfortunatley mine isn't under warranty anymore so can't really get it looked at now.

I have a noise that comes from both the top of the front doors. This can be one side, other or both and is getting worse. You dont expect a car with 1200 miles to have any complaints like this. The pre FL I had made no noise at all even after 9k miles.

Time for a visit to the dealers....