SQ5 Creaking parcel shelf

razza1

Reaction score
Website
www.maidenhead-systema.co.uk
So I thought my roof was making noise, but traced it to my parcel shelf after removing it.

It basically creaks and makes noises when hitting bumps, anyone else have this and any ideas on how to solve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I thought my roof was making noise, but traced it to my parcel shelf after removing it.

It basically creaks and makes noises when hitting bumps, anyone else have this and any ideas on how to solve?

Mine did that when reversing up my drive, I stuck some soft side of self adhesive Velcro on the edges of the plastic under the shelf. Sorted it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like that’s the fix, now found loads of threads on it:

Reactions: paul wev
So put this on, and seems like the previous owner had done it around the pegs and hinges already so doubled it up. It has helped but still creaks a little bit, but definitely the parcel shelf…

So put this on, and seems like the previous owner had done it around the pegs and hinges already so doubled it up. It has helped but still creaks a little bit, but definitely the parcel shelf…

You will probably find the piece of trim where the rear seat belt comes from creeks too, push it up and down with your finger and you’ll hear it.

9F04EE4B D237 494E A65D FA147C4D6A32
Crude repair but you get the idea, I re fitted it last night and a creek free drive to work was had.

It did a bit but not as much, I will find a better fix one day.

I have reserved a very special place in hell for the engineer at Audi who designed that roller blind parcel shelf!

It’s not a roller blind, it’s a two part solid one.
I’ve found the issue, it’s the roof, not the parcel shelf. With use of child labour I traced it to when the roof is shut, if I tilt the roof the noise is gone. It’s in with audi today and the master tech has heard it and knows what the issue and fix should be. Won’t be covered by warranty but it’s within 6 months of me buying it so I’ve said they need to sort it.

Reactions: jdp1962
It’s not a roller blind, it’s a two part solid one.
I’ve found the issue, it’s the roof, not the parcel shelf. With use of child labour I traced it to when the roof is shut, if I tilt the roof the noise is gone. It’s in with audi today and the master tech has heard it and knows what the issue and fix should be. Won’t be covered by warranty but it’s within 6 months of me buying it so I’ve said they need to sort it.
Ah they must have changed the design for the second generation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve seen the tsbs for it so should be simple enough, but given I’ve just bought the car they can sort it out :)
For sure other (Stafford Audi) garages can do it, even if they need two goes; so fingers crossed for you.

Ok, sorry, happily I've a pano roof and no roller blind: that said I'm off to Barmouth on Saturday and that'll be an RS3 day, need to blow the cobwebs out of Bluey: no roller blind and no pano roof....

So it’s apparently the roof cassette mechanism is what I heard the mechanic say, not under warranty but as I’ve only had it two months wales audi should sort it for me cost wise, if not I’ll have to pull out the consumer goods act on them.

I would think you’ve got a good argument as the panroof is a well documented issue. Audi offer a “sunroof service” which shows it needs ongoing maintenance, something that I’ve never known needed in previous cars.

I have reserved a very special place in hell for the engineer at Audi who designed that roller blind parcel shelf!
I hope there is enough room for the other mush that designed the DRL’s in the A1 8x, try changing the bulb. I’ve just done my daughters ones. Jesus what a job.

I would think you’ve got a good argument as the panroof is a well documented issue. Audi offer a “sunroof service” which shows it needs ongoing maintenance, something that I’ve never known needed in previous cars.
It had a sunroof service in nov 2021, so shows despite that it’s still a flawed design

So they’ve got this far in diagnosis and won’t do any more:
the cassette fixings wear over time and even if any short term fixes were to alleviate the issues for a short period of time, it would inevitably return, the only permanent solution would be to replace the panoramic sunroof in its entirety. The cost of this would be enormous and is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

Therefore they aren’t going to do that. Do I have anywhere to stand with consumer goods act only having had it a couple of months?

If it had the service only 6 months ago and was deemed acceptable however now the only option is an expensive replacement then I’d say you’ve got a strong case.
My roof creaks at various levels of annoyance, depending on weather and road surface. I’m hoping I can sort it with a clean and lube when I get a spare afternoon otherwise it’ll bug the hell out of me!

For the Q5/SQ5 Pano-roof 'noise' it's a lubrication issue and for sure you need diligence to sort!

DO NOT give up! You can, as I have, achieve Pano-roof noiseless

They reckon they’ve traced it to the cassette whatever that is, but then wanted another £260 to investigate to further..so not doing that. Need a couple of other items sorting first and then will readdress this with them. I’ll try and do it myself, any recommendations on lube lol?

I know, utter bo##ocks but as I've had a similar issue, and I blame you I've never had!!!

But just try fastening the inner/outer rear seat belts.

Again, utter bo##ocks, but just go try... Why not!

It’s in with audi reading replacing the cassette (which I think is the bottom part of the frame), will take them two days…will see if that fixes it….will let you know Tuesday

Reactions: 45bvtc and jdp1962
So initial drive back from audi yesterday and it was all quiet…will see how that is after a longer drive today, but may have solved it and can start enjoying the car again without getting ****** off every few seconds…

Reactions: 45bvtc