Creaking steering

RichK

Reaction score
Jumped in the car for a short journey today and the steering has started creaking. When you turn the front wheels it sounds like metal creaking. Can be visibly heard when parked up and stood beside the car as my wife turns the steering wheel for me. Issue is more so from the right wheel. Put my head underneath but couldn’t fathom where it’s coming from. Any ideas? Car has only done 1,200 miles.

Last edited:
Something similar on a different car which was the front suspension strut bearing, could be that? although that was at thousands of miles!

Something similar on a different car which was the front suspension strut bearing, could be that? although that was at thousands of miles!
It creaks when the steering is central, and almost full lock clock wise/anti clockwise. Wouldn’t normally worry about this sort of stuff but with a few hundred miles to cover later in the week I played it safe and called out audi assist who are sending a technician in the morning.

Audi Assist fixed it. A heat shield had moved which was rubbing against the steering rods (if that’s what you call them). A slight tweak and all good to go.

Reactions: 8YARWY, NigelG, MF DOOMER and 1 other person