Creaky Steering :-(

norris_309

Reaction score
The latest Woe with my b6.
Recently I've noticed the steering is creaking when making big turns/parking etc.. don't really notice when just turning a little.
Anyone got any simple suggests to cheer me up as I'm feeling front suspension top mounts/arms... which will be an expensive job no doubt.
One of those things, the cost of labour makes you think I'd be needing the top mount/arms, possibly springs as they are all the original (admittedly done well on 182k miles now & 17 years!) and then maybe shocks too?
Any thing I can try to settle it down or confirm what it may be without removing these parts.

I've been dreading the day when the top arms need doing as they've looked a little ripe for a long time but always passed mot with no advisories & only had knocking from anti roll bar links in the past.
Was thinking of spraying some silicone spray on the rubbers to see what that does? is that wise or will that have a negative effect?

I do still like this car & would love to keep it going but at what point do you give up, I've done a lower arm before & the anti roll bar links but i will have to draw the line at the tops after looking at what a pain it could be.
On top of this, the car has started going into limp mode a little more often than I'd like over the past year or so too... :-( so turbo is also starting to complain too!

I have learnt to just live with the creaking, spraying the rubber mounts give no relief to the creak.