Cruise Control Fitting

geraint.davies

Reaction score
Just a quick one, am I right in thinking that in order to fit the cruise stalk the steering wheel will need to be removed?

Steering wheel
Slip ring
Lower steering wheel cowl
Steering wheel ECU

All have to be removed

You will invalidate your steering wheel ECU warrenty though as you have to clip it out - in order to do this, you must tear the yellow warrenty tape.

You then just pull the old stalk out with the aid of a small screwdriver - be carefull not to damage the the white float switch on both removal and replacement - mine broke fitting cruise and had to use the original on the non cruise stalk

Cheers, thought so. Don't have time for that now and off away for the weekend tomorrow so will have to wait until next weekend.

Steering wheel
Slip ring
Lower steering wheel cowl
Steering wheel ECU

All have to be removed

You will invalidate your steering wheel ECU warrenty though as you have to clip it out - in order to do this, you must tear the yellow warrenty tape.

You then just pull the old stalk out with the aid of a small screwdriver - be carefull not to damage the the white float switch on both removal and replacement - mine broke fitting cruise and had to use the original on the non cruise stalk

I never had to change my ECU, you can check your ECU version using VCDS and then quote the ECU number to Audi and they will order you the retrofit kit this includes everything you will need e.g. stalk and the lower steering cowel. As your car is 08 you should be ok. My car is an 07 and my ECU was fine.

Cheers Davie

My car is a 2010 car and Matt Andrew kindly fitted cruise to mine last night, as far as I know it just involved the new stalk and coding, works a treat, big thankyou to Matt, all completed in less than an hour.

Hi guys sorry for bringing up an old thread but have been searching for hours and cannot find the answer!

if you dont have to removed the steering ecu do you have to take off the steering wheel and the slip ring ?? Can it not be a simple as pluging in a new stalk and abit of coding?? sorry havent had chance to remove the bits and have a look myself !

I mentioned in the second post above that you have to take the steering wheel and slip ring out.

The indicator and cruise stalk are part of the one unit which slots into the steering column behind the steering wheel.

It is dead simple to remove! 2 torque screws behind the steering wheel controls, remove air bag, unplug connectors to air bag, unscrew slip ring, 12mm spline I think (maybe bigger) to remove steering wheel, then pull at the stalk!

I mentioned in the second post above that you have to take the steering wheel and slip ring out.

The indicator and cruise stalk are part of the one unit which slots into the steering column behind the steering wheel.

It is dead simple to remove! 2 torque screws behind the steering wheel controls, remove air bag, unplug connectors to air bag, unscrew slip ring, 12mm spline I think (maybe bigger) to remove steering wheel, then pull at the stalk!

Does anybody know if this is the same process for changing the wiper/dis stalk ?

Yes, in middle of downloading something, I will comment dont worry mate.

I have a suitable slip ring if you need one :) Drop me a PM if you do!

I retro fitted FBMFSW & cruise last weekend, my car is an 07 S3. cruise was fine but after fitting it turns out i have a 'midline' steering wheel ECU, this supports cruise but unfortunately not MF. Either way as yours is an 08 it will be fine, but as Boydie says, the ECU had to be removed (along with steering wheel , and slip ring)

EDIT: i had to activate cruise in 'Engine 01' as well as the other one (central electronics?) had me stumped for a bit.

Can anybody help me out with coding?

Mine is 09+ A3 Euro 2.0T. I did all of the install (didn’t need to remove the Steering wheel ECU), but now i am stuck at coding. Can’t seem to be able to make it work. What other modules should i change coding except steering wheel module?

Any help is appreciated.

2) Enable the ECU for Cruise Control using VAG-COM or similar. Note that this procedure does not require the registered version of VAG-COM :

*[Select]
*[01 - Engine]
*[Login - 11]
*Enter 11463 to activate cruise control
*[Do It!]

(Procedure courtesy of Ross-Tech: Home)

I think on mine, it was not login, but security or something? Was straight forward once I found that.

Wow, thanks a lot. So Engine 01 and Steering wheel 14 are the only ones...... I am going to give it a try and let you guys know!!!!!!

Wow, thanks a lot. So Engine 01 and Steering wheel 14 are the only ones...... I am going to give it a try and let you guys know!!!!!!

Just finished recoding and its now working.....But, i guess since my car is newer ECU MED17.5, the Engine 01 part was different. Coding II was blacked out, but coding I wasn’t, i just entered thru long code helper and selected cruise control active, and that did the trick.

Thanks anyways, now i can switch between programs with APR fully loaded ECU..