Cruise Control - Please can someone check the coding I've found is correct

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
I'm just about to buy the stalk and cover to do my cruise retrofit, but after going through hours worth of Searches I've still not got a definitive answer that makes me feel confident enough to make the change with VCDS.

The best answer I found so far is below. Is it not just a case of ticking a box for DIS with Cruise then? Is the code 11463 to login to the engine module the same for all models?
I've bought my own VCDS from Nige, and I've done my LED rear lights plus a few other things, but I'm still nervous of making a change that could knacker my pride and joy. :blush:
Can anybody who has done theirs confirm what they needed to change please.

the coding needed for vagcom on 16 (Steering) after the physical fitting is:

The only digit I changed on mine was the 2nd to last digit - from a 1 (Board Computer, No Cruise Control) to a 4 (Board Computer, CruiseControl).

After I did the following to login to the engine ECU:

select Coding II - 11
enter 11463 in to the coding

Whenever you go into change the coding, the first thing you should do is write down what the coding is before you start, or do a full scan and print it off. Then when you're ready to recode there is a coding helper pop-up which will tell you which digit to change, and what entering that digit will give you. As long as you make a note of the original coding, you can't go wrong because you just enter the original again and it will return the car to its original state.
If you don't feel confident in tackling it yourself, there's plenty people on here who are more than good at doing this retro-fit for you.

Hi Dan,

select Coding II - 11
enter 11463 in to the coding then do it!

Message should come up with something like "engine module has accepted coding"

Then yes, go to module 16 steering wheel and change second last digit to 4.

Once all has been coded correctly, you can check in measuring blocks under module 16 steering and test all functions of the control.

In the later a3's 2009 onwards you normally have to code the engine module using the long coding from the pop down menu, but this should not apply to you being a 2007 model.

Remember when installed and coded, do a full scan and clear any faults that may have appeared during the install.

Last edited:
That's brilliant, thank you so much everyone.
I was just thrown by the 11463 code you have to enter. All the other things I've done have just been checking boxes, or using the long code helper, so it confused me a bit.

Thanks again for confirming this for me, all really helpful answers. :anbet:

That's brilliant, thank you so much everyone.
I was just thrown by the 11463 code you have to enter. All the other things I've done have just been checking boxes, or using the long code helper, so it confused me a bit.

Thanks again for confirming this for me, all really helpful answers. :anbet:

No problem fella, anytime.

As above mate.

Also note when fitting the stalk, make sure its in the middle position when refitting slip ring or you could snap the small plastic yellow/white locator lug which is fairly important to be fully working :)

As above mate.

Also note when fitting the stalk, make sure its in the middle position when refitting slip ring or you could snap the small plastic yellow/white locator lug which is fairly important to be fully working :)

I was stumped with the slipring seemed to be really stiff on one of the first A4's I did.. ended up being because the indiactor stalk wasn't in the middle, lol.. lucky I didn't snap it!