Cup Holder

doublem_1

Reaction score
Hi,

Picked up my A3 last night and noticed it has a slot for a drinks holder (doesn't light up like the rest of the things though) and no matter how much pressing it wont open.

Have I actually got a cup holder or not?

My cup holders are in the glovebox lid and they are truly pitiful... cue one cup of coffee slowly draining away through the centre console whilst on the motorway! Bad times haha

I have a cup holder in my s3, it used to open fine, but now I cant get the dam thing open. You should just be able to push it in and it'll release and slide open. I think its quite a common thing them getting jammed. It really annoys me

LOL yes you have one if the icon is on there, but it doesn't light up. If you can't get it open take the surrounding trim off and pull.

you'll probability find the mech broken inside

Ye I think its just jammed. Is there any way to remove it? Just to have a fiddle with it.

Remove the trim around the holder, and gently push then pull. It should come free.
you will then see what's wrong, sometimes it just need grease once you get it free.

Theres a big metal coil wound around a roller inside... This usually comes out of place.
i repaired mine over the weeked.

Mine became clogs with soldified coffee. You can pop the facia panel off with a flat blade, Push the clips and the whole cup holder unit comes out. The whole unit will come apart and get come electrical cleaner and a cloth in there. Mine was so bad the climate control unit button were also sticking with all the coffee lol

I never use the cup holder nor do any passengers (for fear of me chucking them out!). Mine works fine, but there is an annoying creak noise coming from it when it's all closed up. I know it's that becuase when you pull it out the noises go away. Don't get me wrong it's just a annoying slight creaky noise which is annyoing when the rest of the car is so silent on the road. I hardly ever put the radio or CD on - call me an saddo, but I like to hear my car rather than the crap so-called BOSE system.

Had a garage recently tell me one of the rear spings is snapped and the one of the rear shocks has become unbonded from the case - and yet I can't hear any noises whatsoever when going over bumps or in pot holes ! Suspension is so tight on these it obviously does not seem to make much of a difference. It'll wait...

Ok brilliant, thanks for all the replies, Ill pop it off tomorrow and inspect. Much appreciated.

I got mine done at Audi when i had the cambelt change, needed a new one and they just did it for free :-D Common problem though i think, for something that really is a pretty useless holder of cups lol