CVS joint/drive shaft ********!!!

Buxton2901

Reaction score
Sorry to start a new thread but she's been back in today to get CV joint or outer joint as they call it changed and thought car would be ready today but they have had to send the whole driveshaft to be referbished as they say u can't replace just the CV.
Anyone know if this is true plz and what's the likely hood of the other side going soon?

No one else has a car that has done a million miles ;)

LOL ok but surely someone has had to replace CV joint or knows if the CV and driveshaft are all 1 part.
I have 856000 miles to ago before Im at a million :thrashi:

Mine (manual gb) had a drivers side cv joint replaced at 75k and just the outer was changed. Mine was just a very faint click on full lock in reverse.we did have trouble getting the joint though as companys kept sending joints that were too small for the drive shaft size.

Iv had and known of cars with double my mileage and they have had no probs with cv joints. Might be neglect on a previous owners part not replacing a split boot in the past etc.

Mine (manual gb) had a drivers side cv joint replaced at 75k and just the outer was changed. Mine was just a very faint click on full lock in reverse.we did have trouble getting the joint though as companys kept sending joints that were too small for the drive shaft size.

Iv had and known of cars with double my mileage and they have had no probs with cv joints. Might be neglect on a previous owners part not replacing a split boot in the past etc.

Thanks Brett for your opinion, it's great to hear someone else has replaced CV joints with less mileage. I will see what's its like after its been done and hope that the other side needs doing before the warranty is up lol

Sorry but think that's quite ignorant mate. Not everyone can buy a brand new car, they buy the car that suits their budget. Higher miles is nothing on a modern diesel car.

There's an old saying that if you don't have anything nice to say then GTFO.

Sorry but think that's quite ignorant mate. Not everyone can buy a brand new car, they buy the car that suits their budget. Higher miles is nothing on a modern diesel car.

Thanks Brennan, lol. It's true though.
I really wanted a b8 as I didn't like the b7 and I've wanted an Audi for years having had vw's before. So this came up for 8 grand which was top of my budget so I went for it and have had a few problems which I expect with the mileage but that's why I made sure I have a warranty and the garage that sold it is quite good also. I knew the engine is solid and once the teething problems are out of the way I hope to enjoy years of happy motoring.
:kiss:

Reactions: AU11 ALS and Brennan

I never buy brand new cars. But I accept the fact that the dealers clock them and paint them so try to choose my cars carefully and make sure I exercise my rights if any faults come to light.

I go on some Yank sites and they suffer from sense of humour failure. I thought this site has a bit of banter but maybe not...........

I never buy brand new cars. But I accept the fact that the dealers clock them and paint them so try to choose my cars carefully and make sure I exercise my rights if any faults come to light.

I go on some Yank sites and they suffer from sense of humour failure. I thought this site has a bit of banter but maybe not...........
It was the context in which you said it, I have as good a sense of humour as the next guy but saying things like a million mile car is just unhelpful in my eyes. You have to be careful, what you might find light hearted banter may not come across as that to the next person.

Good day to you sir. *doffs cap*

Back on topic, having the driveshaft checked over, parts swapped and dynamically balanced by experts is better than just hammering on a new CV joint. So although the repair is taking a day or so longer it will be a better job in the end.

Back on topic, having the driveshaft checked over, parts swapped and dynamically balanced by experts is better than just hammering on a new CV joint. So although the repair is taking a day or so longer it will be a better job in the end.

Thanks zafi, is it true that the driveshaft is longer on one side than the other ?

Look where the diff sits and you will understand why ;)

From a simple engineering standpoint, the shorter the shaft, the greater the angle for a given suspension movement.......

Although the diff on the A4 B8 is offset to the right in that bulge that is near the drivers left foot on rhd models there is a shaft that goes through the bell housing to a bearing on the left hand side of the gearbox. This means that the drive shaft between the cv joints is the same length on both left and right hand sides of the car so the angle the joint will go through will be the same.

So got the car back today and the clicking on the drivers side is gone but now u can hear the passenger side making the exact same noise. ***. Not as loud but deafo the noise. So will be going back again. Can't believe this:audibash::mad::mad new::confused:

For anyone who's interested the garage have had to send the other driveshaft away to be recon'd as it was starting to click also.
so both sides done under the warranty. taking bets for what's next lol

For anyone who's interested the garage have had to send the other driveshaft away to be recon'd as it was starting to click also.
so both sides done under the warranty. taking bets for what's next lol

Hopefully when you get your car back on the road, it will be a good strong car and give you many good years of enjoying and owning a Audi.

Hopefully when you get your car back on the road, it will be a good strong car and give you many good years of enjoying and owning a Audi.

Thanks mike, for the PMA (positive mental attitude) :kiss:

I hope so too!!! :iagree:

Reactions: mike60e
Would u Adam and eve it.
Picked the car up yesterday and the clicking from the cv joints is gone but now I have clunk in between full lock each way and also when I pull away quickly. What's the likely hood that's it is something the garage has forgotten to tighten up or something similar?

Take it straight back. May be unrelated like a steering rack problem or may be something loose.

Take it straight back. May be unrelated like a steering rack problem or may be something loose.

Thanks zafi. Going to phone them on Monday.
My mate is fitting new shocks for me next week and will check it out also to make sure they have put everything back and tightened up. Not having much luck with this motor :mad:

I would definitely take it back before anyone else touches the car.

Sounds like you are getting the best out of the warranty, important to get all done whilst you have it. All worth it in the end and your car looks well tidy!

My last B8 went trouble free until 156k when it was sold at 4 years old

Sounds like you are getting the best out of the warranty, important to get all done whilst you have it. All worth it in the end and your car looks well tidy!

My last B8 went trouble free until 156k when it was sold at 4 years old

Cheers blackEd, good to know they can manage those kind of milagesof
Deafo squeezing the warranty. Lol
Also spoke to the garage I bought it from and the guy said if anythings not covered tell him and he will pay it so it's all good. Just ironing out the reasons why the previous owner got rid really.

They are taking it back tomoz for another look. Hopefully the last look.
It's a ****** good job I cycle to work as they have had my car more than I have lol

Reactions: RS5 JON
Just think of the amount of fuel you are saving and keeping fit at the same time. ;)

Just think of the amount of fuel you are saving and keeping fit at the same time. ;)

Only problem is every time they give me a courtesy car I have to put diesel in it :mad:
He keeps giving me an old A4 1.9 PD Diesel, which im starting to love lol used to have the same engine in my B5 Passat, its pullet proof