Cylinder 1 misfire.

wab172uk

Now in an X3 M40i And a Yaris GR-Four
Reaction score
Here we go.

As per my previous thread. EPC light came on sat at traffic lights. engine off, engine on. Worked fine. Next set of traffic lights, same again. Engine light then appeared, and runs as rough as a Badgers B*****k at idle, and sounded like it was dropping a Cylinder.

It has indeed. £60 for a diagnostic. Cylinder 1 misfire.
£218 now to strip the engine down to find the fault.

F*** knows what that's going to show up. Car's just out of extended warranty too. Only covered a few hundred miles since it's last service

Anyone else had similar issues? If so, what was the cost?

Mines only got 32,000 miles on the clock. 4 years old. Hoping Audi will contribute if it's a big bill.

Time to get rid I think. Get it fixed, and move on.

Last edited:
is it not just a coil stick? They are the most common causes of a misfire. I'd swapping two coil sticks across and see if the error swaps bank.

Reactions: MikeParkin
is it not just a coil stick? They are the most common causes of a misfire. I'd swapping two coil sticks across and see if the error swaps bank.

It's in the hands of the Technicians now. Just hope it is something like a coil pack. Quick fix, and not a huge bill.

Costs so far ....

£60 Initial diagnostic
£218 Investigation works as Cylinder 1 misfiring.

Cylinder 1 losing compression. Cost to take off head to investigate ....... £1400 :puke:

So before any parts needed to fix, & labour to fix it, I'm looking at £1678 so far. Won't know outcome of head removal till next week.

That's pretty sickening that mate :(

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Costs so far ....

£60 Initial diagnostic
£218 Investigation works as Cylinder 1 misfiring.

Cylinder 1 losing compression. Cost to take off head to investigate ....... £1400 :puke:

So before any parts needed to fix, & labour to fix it, I'm looking at £1678 so far. Won't know outcome of head removal till next week.

That’s really **** poor knowing it’s only done 32K!

That’s really **** poor knowing it’s only done 32K!

Yeah, I'm ready to fight my case. Couldn't renew my warranty as it was within 30 days of expiry date.

Car has only done 32,000 miles, and just a few hundred miles from the last Audi service at the end of March.

Going through over the weekend to take all my stuff out of the car. Just in case it's there for weeks, and / or I have to argue with Audi on who should be paying the bill, (which could end up being Thousands of Pounds) and not get my car back until it's resolved.

jeeze thats shocking for 32k! i would definately be looking to Audi for a good will gesture for such a premature failure!

Reactions: wab172uk
Crikey. £1678 just for diagnostic.
That's more than a replacement (used) engine!

Sorry to hear that. They do have room to move on the hourly rate when its a big bill so hopefully they will help you out. The final bill for mine when it had a replacement camshaft was 6 grand (including all the diagnostic time ended up being 33 hours labour in total). I ended up paying 3k so they reduced the cost by half ... then a week later the catalytic converter packed up as a result of the previous poor running, which they as a dealship covered since the warranty company blamed the previous failure so refused to cover it. The audi approved warranty covered none of the original work either since the cause of the cam shaft failure was a rogue bolt that somehow got into the head and trashed the exhaust cam on cylinder number 1.

Hi, I've a 40k S3 that looks like it has exactly the same issue. It's currently in with Audi and I'm currently looking at the same eye watering bills. How did this play out?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have a thread as well HERE following a similar issue 32K miles on mine, still not fixed, next stage is to replace all the injectors.

Audi are taking mine apart now. Should have news by the end of the tomorrow/ Thursday.

Reactions: wab172uk and mikemod
Audi are taking mine apart now. Should have news by the end of the tomorrow/ Thursday.

Let us know the outcome. Sound like same problem as what I had. New engine time !!

Evening all, long overdue update but thought I'd wait till it all played out so I could give a complete story.

As you fine chaps suspected, the engine was toast. I was told the chain had stretched, timing out, engine blown.

Audi dealership started with the car is out of warranty (by two months) but we'll speak to corporate Audi and see what we they can do.

They came back with:
1. New engine £11k
2. Corporate Audi said they won't do anything
3. Dealership thought that this wasn't right so they'd cover most of the cost leaving a bill of £3k

I found myself in the position of, I haven't a working car, I can't cover £11k but can £3k, where do I sign?

The car is now back on the road. New engine, with 2yr warranty. £3k lighter but not £11k. No choice really.

The only thing that I still can't really work out is, if Audi corporate said no, why would a dealership (who I didn't buy the car off) stump up £8k to cover the costs. Even removing the VAT it seems a big hit for them to take (out off the kindness of their hearts).

Evening all, long overdue update but thought I'd wait till it all played out so I could give a complete story.

As you fine chaps suspected, the engine was toast. I was told the chain had stretched, timing out, engine blown.

Audi dealership started with the car is out of warranty (by two months) but we'll speak to corporate Audi and see what we they can do.

They came back with:
1. New engine £11k
3. Dealership thought that this wasn't right so they'd cover most of the cost leaving a bill of £3k

I found myself in the position of, I haven't a working car, I can't cover £11k but can £3k, where do I sign?

The car is now back on the road. New engine, with 2yr warranty. £3k lighter but not £11k. No choice really.

The only thing that I still can't really work out is, if Audi corporate said no, why would a dealership (who I didn't buy the car off) stump up £8k to cover the costs. Even removing the VAT it seems a big hit for them to take (out off the kindness of their hearts).

I was just about to same the same as you, why would a dealership stump up £8k? I work for a car manufacturer and they are always banging on about warranty costs, a customer take a car in to have a job done and we are billed for it, not the dealership, they are just a franchise.

Was it out of warranty buy 2 month on the standard 3 year warranty or extended warranty? Did they service it 2 months prior?

They came back with:
1. New engine £11k

Corporate audi and the dealership have been playing you i think?
Given you a huge bill at first to scare you but settled with a smaller bill which covers their cost.
I had a similar engine claim with Audi a few years back on one of my previous Audi's.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/is-my-engine-toast.253408/