D4 4.2 tdi

alanyork

Reaction score
what a great car had it for 2 weeks now, past cars S6 V10, A6 3L tdi x4 lol, A5 3L tdi, bmw 535, I can say 100% this is the best road car Ive ever had , pure beast I love it, 20" wheels tv (lol) reverse camara (not needed) double glazing comfort pack , the spec on it is just mad,

Just think of the driveability once its been remapped. Have done 2 of the 4.2 V8 TDI's and they are scary fast after theyve been tweaked.

D4 not listed on your site, what sort of power increase with a remap, Im in Scotland week on Friday / Saturday.

The power increase you have to drive to believe especially in sports mode. My customers loved the driveability after the remap and went home with a smile on their faces. Give me a ring when your up.

I would go for the remap, my 4.2tdi (340) q7 has been remapped and its very impressive.

Is the ecu locked in, As other newer Audi,s have had a cradle type metal strap over them what needed grinding / cutting off.

use something like photobucket.com to host the pictures and just link them on here, use the Insert image button on the toolbar (3rd from the end)

took a while but got my A8 remapped today, found out it has 2 ecu,s , he had to take both out from the car and map them both, 400 bhp / 900 nm its good.

Reactions: Tuddie and Joe3.0tdi
Audi A8 Exhaustjpe

Reactions: RS4B5
If only they've fitted a manual gearbox to that engine, i would have one in a heartbeat !

what back boxes are they alan ?

the 8 speed auto does just fine , would not feel right with a manual

Reactions: Tuddie and cocain

What you like and what i do are 2 different things ! If audi would have fitted a manual gearbox to it then it would have been epic !

what audi did and what you like are also 2 different things !

the 8 speed auto is epic ....
faster and more economical than the s4

You took your s4 past 155 Mph ? I did... Fast is relative, a 400 Bhp imprezza feels fast, a 600 Bhp gtr is plain silly... I still have full command of my left leg, when i will not be able to press a clutch pedal and use a **** bag then i might consider an auto gearbox... till then i stick to what i know !
PS: make sure your additional/extended warranty covers the gearbox when it fails...read the small print !

not that it matters but yes i had the s4 past 155 and on a track on numerous occasions
nothing is as relative as side by side from a standing start
a8 on one side s4 on the other both went down the road quickly
relative didnt change the outcome the a8 was faster plain and simple (not as good in the corners though)
no warranty on my car mate ...quite capable of fixing it myself gearbox aint the problem its the wanky s4 electronic diff thats trouble
hope the left leg holds out while your changing the clutch ;)

Reactions: Joe3.0tdi
Just pray you didn't jinx your gearbox ! Whilst the a4 is a tecchy masterpiece is residual costs and running/repair bills that puts me off ! If you thought the s4 was hard to fix then the s4 is no different just multiplied by 2 ! Peace...

Backboxes fitted by STG Performance Wakefield , Dont know the make, but they sound and look better than standard, My cars remapped and limiter removed , so it does go well too.

Just pray you didn't jinx your gearbox ! Whilst the a4 is a tecchy masterpiece is residual costs and running/repair bills that puts me off ! If you thought the s4 was hard to fix then the s4 is no different just multiplied by 2 ! Peace...
Meant a8...

Wish I kept the A8 , much better all round than a S5, (for me) had it 6 weeks and sold, have a RR evoque for now , getting a RS Q3 next.

Reactions: RS4B5 and ScottD3
****** hell you change your mind more often than I do! I've been browsing the a8s. Think they would suit me, why did you get rid of yours?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Because Id had it for 2 1/2 years, Best car ever, wish Id have kept it,

been test driving a A8 3L tdi 15 plate today, so back in a Audi soon

Bought the 15 plate 3L A8 last November, Just swopped it for a SQ5 with a evo remap, >> nice.

Lol ur funny. At least you have compared the full rabge (nearly) now. all whats missing is the S8 or S8+

Reactions: alanyork
I'm considering uograding my A8 D3 4.2tdi to A8 D4. Initially I was only looking at 4.2tdi but I found online that in real life acceleration of 3.0tdi is almost identical as 4.2tdi. Is that true? I know V8 is heavy but extra 100bhp and 250Nm of torque should give a visible difference.....I think.

Never had a car with the 4.2 TDi. However, I've had a final face-lift D3 and now have a 14 D4.
Both run the 3.0 TDi.
When I initially dipped a toe into mapping, I fitted a tuning box to the D3. The tuning box appeared to intercept the fuel system, probably causing the car to hose more diesel into the engine.
It certainly delivered more power.

Although I kept the tuning box, when I got the D4 I didn't fit it. I'd also had a revo stg 1 map loaded into my 64 A5 3.0 TDi and on that basis I wanted a full ECU map for the A8 D4. Unfortunately revo didn't and still don't do a stg1 map for the engine I have in my A8, so I drive it stock. I drives and goes OK, but I'd prefer similar figures and throttle response I get in my A5.
I'd describe the stock 258bhp / 580Nm in my D4 as providing "brisk" acceleration rather than pin you to your seat kind of thing. I can only imagine what a circa 600bhp S8 would be like to drive.
Equally, a 4.2 with 900Nm must increase the grin factor?

Ive had both A8 3L & A8 4.2, both D4s big difference in driving the 4.2 miles better, Both as standard, I had the V8 ecu remapped had that car for around 2 years, best car for me for a long time, The 3L Did not have the power for me so only kept it a short while, swopped it for a SQ5 that had a revo map on it, moves very well,

Your comments ref the comparison between a 3.0 and 4.2 TDi, both as D4 are useful and give me food for thought.
Especially if I go for a later, lower mileage, D4.
Are / were you aware of the additional weight of the engine, when driving the 4.2?
Cheers.

not aware of the extra weight at all, And I'm a fast driver, If I went to a A8 tdi again it would be the V8, For me the 3L is a no no. But still a great car, I'm just a Audi fan, lol.

there was huge difference between 3.0 and 4.2tdi on A8 D3 bith on paper and real life. I was just surprised to se very small difference on paper for D4 hence my question for real life experiences here. Thanks for your thoughts, I will keep looking for 4.2tdi D4. I have one worry though, I can't aford lacelifted D4 and before facelift engine is only Euro5 compliant and in my city soon will be green zone introduced allowing only Euro6 diesels into city centre:-(

Well Ive gone completely mad, Got a Merc GLA 45 AMG, pick it up next Friday, 2017 plate, See how long I keep it.

My mate bought brand new A45 AMG a year ago or so......quick but way to laud for me!

Reactions: RS4B5
Two weeks ago I've bought A8 D4 4.2tdi. Don't feel much difference in power in compare to D3 but it was only 24PS and 150Nm.....but D4 drives better. It seems to be lighter in feeling and gave me much less understeer. In D3 I felt havy front but almost don't have that feeling in D4.

Didn't drive D4 3.0tdi so can't compare.