DA polisher advice please.

Ultra Violent

Reaction score
Hi Folks.
Just like the title says, I'm thinking about buying my first DA next month, hopefuly the weather will improve.
So I'm looking for some advice on whats hot and whats not.
I'm finding the massive choice of polishes quite daunting, don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
My car has some swirl marks and some minor scratches, but from what I've read the polisher can help remove some off these
just not sure when it comes to cutting and finishing compunds, whats the best way to go.

I know polish is probably a personal choice, just really looking for a good starter(noob) kit.
Don't want to be wasting money on things I won't use.
I've seen a kit on fleabay that looks ok, just two bottles, nice and simple, just don't know if its any good.
Dodo Juice Buff Daddy Dual Action Polisher - Autoglym Paint Pro Polishing Kit | eBay

any help and advice from the more experinced guys on site (there are a lot) would be appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Scott.

P.s.
I did find a good guide to the pads, which can also be confusing.
hex-logic pad chart - Detailing World
Thanks to Scotty76 for that one.

The Autoglym kit got some interesting coverage when it was launched and is definitely something I would consider. It seems a well thought out package. It wasn't available when I bought my DA. Autoglym is never really "fashionable" for want of a better word, but they do churn out some good, dependable products. I have Autoglym HD Wax for example and it's a really solid choice. It's not fancy but it does the job with little drama. I swap between it and Dodo Blue Velvet Pro wax just when I fancy a change, no other reason.

More on the kit here: Autoglym Paint Pro - Detailing World

I believe the Buff Daddy is just a rebadged DAS 6 so could probably save yourself a few quid on that front.

I still don't have the time to do much correction on my paint. So my original purchase of a DA plus Dodo Lime Prime followed by wax has served me well. I've used Megs #105 and #205 to get some scratches out but these are spot fixes I have done.

I like using my DA but if you want your paint fixed, on the whole car, I would find a pro detailer to do it and not worry about buying all the kit. Sure it will cost you but unless you are planning on this as a hobby it's a better use of cash. I'm not being cynical here. When I have the cash I will be paying my local detailer to sort my car out and I will then simply maintain it, probably with a light going over with a finishing polish to keep it ticking along.

Cheers Scotty.
Thats some sound advice, I do like keeping the car clean, but as you say, for a proper paint correction, with the time and skill it takes I'm probably better off getting it done professionaly to start with and maybe just use the DA for tarting it up.
Its definetly something I would like to be able to do myself, but I suppose if the hard one(first time) is done by a pro
it takes some off the worry away.

I'll look into seeing if theres any detailers around me,(Dumfries) I dont think there are though,
plenty of rape and scrape car washes, dirty sponge anyone!??

whats the ball park figure on a good detail(obviously you cant see my paint) as I say there are swirls and some minor scratches, can't feel them with a finger nail.

Thanks a lot for your advice, it's good to have someone with experience to help along.

Cheers dude.
Scott.

I guess you've seen the list here: DW Supporters List -Need a detailer. - Detailing World

Not been to Dumfries for ages. My extended family are all from Ayr/Girvan area. :)

In terms of cost, my local guy is Nick@DetailMyCar and has example prices on his website: Services & Prices . Obviously unless you fancy a holiday to Newbury you'll not be using him but it might give you an idea of cost.