DAB antenna

mikejclark

Reaction score
I've just installed an aftermarket head unit in my A3 8P Sportback 2007 and looking to add DAB, but not really keen on the front window antennas or installing one on the roof.

Is it possible to replace the existing rear window antenna with a DAB module? Perhaps from an A4 or similar

This guy has done it on his TT

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=866929

There are adapters that split the double Fakra into a DAB and Stereo signal.
I plan to get one myself as the windscreen DAB aerial isn't great, but they are about £40 so I'm putting it off for another month as I have to sort more important things first.

I did look into those but discovered they don't work with active / amplified aerials, which I think we have. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited:
The TT guy didn't post up success afaik, I'm going to check my previous a5 cab dab upgrade antenna for a client, see what that eludes too.

Reactions: mikejclark
According to the last post in that thread he was successful, and someone else doing the same upgrade too

Ahhhhh it's not showing the whole thread on my phone, only 1st page, I'll check it on my laptop.

There's some spare connections on the 8p rear screen, I'll have a looksy if it's feasible.

Reactions: Matt268uk and dg-1984
There's some spare connections on the 8p rear screen, I'll have a looksy if it's feasible.
There are 2 free connections on my 8p rear screen would be good to know if can use them for the DAB.

There's minor mention of digital radio in etka pr codes for Japan market, but no amps denote this qv1 code, needs more r&d

Just seen this item on a vw polo forum, the guys on there are buying these when they are changing their headunits to ones with dab and everything is working fine. They are just swapping the fm/am amplifier in the boot lid with this one. Kufatec also sell it but they also include the cable that you need to run to the head unit from the boot where the amplifier is located and it is double the price.
I’m pretty sure you could buy the cable you need from the internet for much cheaper or even possibly find a way of using one of the 2 existing cables.
FE56643E 4D47 4170 9115 5078FCF659EE

I kind of hope this doesn’t work but I’m pretty sure someone could get it to work on our cars unless the polos have more connections coming from the rear screen to the amplifier than our cars.
I’ve recently drilled a hole and installed an external dab,fm/am aerial so I’ll be gutted if this works.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Not sure why but I'm not getting email alerts for replies to this thread - I'm watching it.

Anyway. Had my boot trim out last week to take a closer look at the amp/antenna etc, and as @NHN mentions there is free connections

-IMG 20180511 182108

This is the fm/am antenna

IMG 20180511 182100

What's this at the bottom of the window?

IMG 20180511 182301

It should work in theory. The only problem you may have is that the Audi systems that it is designed for send power to it from the headunit so you would need to see if your aftermarket unit is going to send power to it or not to be able to turn it on
Is there a way I can test this? Maybe disconnect the cables from the stereo and see if the antenna is still powered?

Is there a way I can test this? Maybe disconnect the cables from the stereo and see if the antenna is still powered?

Is your am/fm working fine now with the new headunit? If so then you’re ok.
You need to see the new amplifier though first. If the new one for the a4 has a 3rd output for the dab where you would have to run a seperate cable to your dab receiver then you’ll be fine as the fm/am cables will still give power to the amplifier.
If the A4 amplifier still only has 2 outputs like what you’ve got now then you’ve possibly got a problem.

Is your am/fm working fine now with the new headunit? If so then you’re ok.
You need to see the new amplifier though first. If the new one for the a4 has a 3rd output for the dab where you would have to run a seperate cable to your dab receiver then you’ll be fine as the fm/am cables will still give power to the amplifier.
If the A4 amplifier still only has 2 outputs like what you’ve got now then you’ve possibly got a problem.
Yes FM/AM is good with new headunit. Looking at the pictures of the new one it looks very similar to the one I already have, so I guess it's just for DAB alone. I could just run a new cable though, right?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Any idea what this does? Located at the bottom of the rear window

No idea.

I could be wrong but I doubt the amplifier from the a4 would just be for dab. I would imagine it is am/fm and dab amplifier but I could be wrong. But yes if you can get it working then it is just a case of running another cable to the headunit

As long as the heated rear window doesn't affect the signal, I might just go for this. The black box fits inside the trim and is hidden by the blacked out part of the glass. Waiting for the usb dab dongle to arrive so I can test it
3975b6513a3d1ad7809364f55b87859d.jpg
a8a01ff482fd2cbb14da4358cb50a9db.jpg

I would be amazed if it didn't interfere.
Many years ago I had a GPS antenna fitted in the boot and whenever I turned the heated rear window on the gps logged me doing exceptional speeds and put me in the nearest deep sea.
DAB is probably more sensitive.

I've found a solution that gives a close to OEM solution, i.e. not visible.
I ended up using the glass mount antenna that came with the usb dab stick, but removed the antenna film, and soldered the connection to the spare rear window points. For me this gives a massive improvement in signal compared to using the antenna as supplied. Even the station with the lowest signal is now full strength! Can also confirm there is no interference when the heated screen is on.

Removed film from antenna:
IMG 20180603 140042

Soldered antenna connection to spare rear window point:
IMG 20180602 144935

Ran cable through boot seal. By far the hardest part! Had to remove the boot trim so I could pull the cables out. Then used a rigid cable to poke through and pull the cable back the other way:
IMG 20180602 144003

Full strength signal:
IMG 20180602 205515

Reactions: micure
Excellent solution, well done.
I always found BBC stations to have better signal in my area, but Absolute radio (main reason I got DAB) is barely picking up a signal.

Excellent solution, well done.
I always found BBC stations to have better signal in my area, but Absolute radio (main reason I got DAB) is barely picking up a signal.

Ha! Yeah my main reason for dab is for absolute too! That and BBC 6. BBC 2 was terrible for me, absolute was ok. All good now though

I might give this a try in the future providing my rear window has the required antenna built in.

Reactions: mikejclark
I ended up using the glass mount antenna that came with the usb dab stick, but removed the antenna film, and soldered the connection to the spare rear window points. For me this gives a massive improvement in signal compared to using the antenna as supplied. Even the station with the lowest signal is now full strength! Can also confirm there is no interference when the heated screen is on.

View attachment 157010

View attachment 157011

Ran cable through boot seal. By far the hardest part! Had to remove the boot trim so I could pull the cables out. Then used a rigid cable to poke through and pull the cable back the other way:
View attachment 157012

Full strength signal:
View attachment 157013

You’ve found a very good solution to be fair mate. Had I known about this a couple of month ago then I wouldn’t have drilled a hole in my roof to fit an external aerial

You’ve found a very good solution to be fair mate. Had I known about this a couple of month ago then I wouldn’t have drilled a hole in my roof to fit an external aerial
I was considering a roof aerial as I think it will always be better than glass mounted. I have yet to test on a long journey so not sure how it will perform in poor signal areas. But working as it currently is, I'm happy

I was considering a roof aerial as I think it will always be better than glass mounted. I have yet to test on a long journey so not sure how it will perform in poor signal areas. But working as it currently is, I'm happy

The Mrs has factory fit dab in her Leon and that uses the rear screen for its antenna, it works pretty much everywhere on all stations so I’m pretty sure you’ll be fine with it.

You should join the xda forum, if you search on there for android dab a user called zoulou has modified the dab app with his own ideas and it’s miles better. You can have presets on it and logos for the stations amongst quite a few other things and it’s free unless you donate to him through PayPal.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikejclark and Daveyonthemove

View attachment 157010

View attachment 157011

View attachment 157012

Full strength signal:
View attachment 157013

Excellent post Mike, and great idea

I'm just about to do mine and wondering what it's been like a few years down the line.

What did you do about the earth from the DAB antenna, did you earth it down or just leave it floating.

I've got the same connections as your post, except it looks like there has been wires soldered previous.

Excellent post Mike, and great idea

I'm just about to do mine and wondering what it's been like a few years down the line.

What did you do about the earth from the DAB antenna, did you earth it down or just leave it floating.

I've got the same connections as your post, except it looks like there has been wires soldered previous.

Still working well not had any problems with it.

There was only 1 wire coming from the box which I soldered to the window connection. If by earth you mean the flat strip I just tucked that in behind the box.

While you have the boot trim out you might want to install a reverse cam as well. It works well with the android head units

2 IMG 20201126 160935
0 IMG 20201126 161032

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Fitted, and working. A38P 2010
Soldered into the right hand HRW Ariel connection as Mike's post above. The right hand one out of the two.
I tried earthing the strip and leaving it floating but it didn't make much difference to reception.
The grommet from the boot was the hardest part right enough. But poking a flexi cable from the car side to the boot with lub on it was the best solution.
Just mind be on the right side of the airbag curtain when running the cable.
My Ariel wasn't long enough to reach the head unit so dab box is fitted at top of the 'a' pillar using a longer usb cable.

Just need to sort the dab asking for permission everytime I switch on the car.

Still working well not had any problems with it.

There was only 1 wire coming from the box which I soldered to the window connection. If by earth you mean the flat strip I just tucked that in behind the box.

While you have the boot trim out you might want to install a reverse cam as well. It works well with the android head units

View attachment 212850 View attachment 212851
Good job, what head unit is that?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Mine is roughly the same as mikej.
Got mine from Audio Tech Direct.
Steering wheel controls working, dis display shows some information.
Reasonable for the price. Mine was an upgrade from BNS 5.0 and does give the car a new lease of life.
If you have a half amplified or full amp Bose system you will have to fit a couple of suppressors to reduce alternated whine.
https://audiotechdirect.com/direct-fit-audi-bose-rca-adaptor-for-audi-es-dj-series-units/
https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-au5147a-android-10-0-after-market-gps-wifi-radio-for-audi-a3/
Suppressors and stereo link.
Fairly easy to install depending what you want.
Just discard the connectors that come with the set and the suppressors go between set and quadlock connector that is already on the car. Ariel on that model was a dual fakra anyway so mostly plug and play.
I fitted a couple of usb connectors for charging phone and glovebox media usb stick.
And of course the dab rear antenna.

Last edited:
I’ve done this mod today and the signal is perfect, I soldered onto both of the spare points (however the soldering is nowhere near as good as the pictures someone posted above).
I noticed the signal was good as soon as I connected it but then I sanded some of the paint away and stuck down the copper ground strip that is attached to the cheap windscreen antenna amplifier and now the signal is perfect.
I do have a problem though, as soon as I turn on the heated rear screen then I lose all signal.Does anyone know anything that I could do to stop it interfering as it doesn’t interfere with the fm radio.

Like the idea of soldering onto the window, I have a hatred for stripping trim and running cables.

Thinking with the right adaptors/ loom it must be possible to remove the amplifier and join straight to the window, with that you could then put the dab box by the head unit.

off to trawl to see if I can find the opposite gender for those connectors...

View attachment 157010

View attachment 157011

View attachment 157012

Full strength signal:
View attachment 157013
Nice mod, did you disconnect the existing antenna in place for the dab?

I don’t have a spare connection unfortunately, so I’m left wondering.

Cheers

Attachments

• 421303F6-70AA-4F2F-9D63-723103A05975.jpeg
    421303F6-70AA-4F2F-9D63-723103A05975.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 150
Hi all,
I'm in a similar position to GTz.
I have the spare soldered blobs but it looks like no part of the screen aerial goes to them. I soldered my DAB wire to it but never got a great deal of improvement.
Can you solder the DAB wire to the existing fm connection if so does it matter which one or will it cause other issues

Attachments

• Dab.jpg
    Dab.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14