Dab radio and MMI 2g High

bobby singh

BSR
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally have sometime to look further into my attempt to fit dab radio into my 2009 B8 that has a MMI 2G High.
I have installed the following -
Dab unit:

SW: 4E0 910 563 C 083 S:0830
4E0 035 563 H:41

I have tried the following aerials:

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/sonichi-magnetic-roof-mount-dab-antenna

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/autoleads-dab-film-antenna-smb-dab-aa1

But when I scan for dab station no signal is shown.

I now think I need OEM aerial, does anyone have a parts list for this solution?
Does the avant model have the aerial in the rear 1/4 glass?

I noticed 8K9035255K aerial amp installed from factory if that's any good.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Bobby

I've retrofitted the above. I changed the antenna amplifier in the drivers side rear pillar to the DAB version and then ran a cable from that to the DAB unit in the boot. You need a right angle FAKRA connector at the antenna amp as the trim won't fit back on otherwise.

I've retrofitted the above. I changed the antenna amplifier in the drivers side rear pillar to the DAB version and then ran a cable from that to the DAB unit in the boot. You need a right angle FAKRA connector at the antenna amp as the trim won't fit back on otherwise.

Do you have the part number? So get the correct amp and run the wire to the DAB radio unit?
In my avant I have plenty of space if its the right unit I'm looking at.

The DAB radio connects to the black connector on the amplifier.

Have you got a part number for the DAB amp?

Ah ****** forgot you have an Avant - the aerial set up is different to the saloon. Not sure if you need different rear quarter glass to do it the OEM way - you did on the A6 C6 Avant but not sure on the A4 B8.

Thanks for the reply - I've been driving Tom mad with text messages haha
8K9035255K does support DAB (apparently) so it could be I just need a Y splitter.

But I'm starting to think I have a faulty DAB unit. I have a direct dab aerial plugged into the unit and I still get no siganl.

This is what the rear driver side glass looks like:

No signal:

Cheers

Can you plug in VCDS and run a scan? Make sure you've added DAB to the CAN gateway first.

I had a dud antenna cable I brought from Ebay on the cheap from Poland but got no signal and caused an error code. Brought the genuine article from Audi and it burst into life.

Can you plug in VCDS and run a scan? Make sure you've added DAB to the CAN gateway first.

I had a dud antenna cable I brought from Ebay on the cheap from Poland but got no signal and caused an error code. Brought the genuine article from Audi and it burst into life.

Do you have the part number for this cable?

If you need an OEM aerial, you could try a parts request. Click here.

Cheers, But from my understanding so I think I have correct aerial amp fitted to my car as stock 8K9035255K (this apparently supports dab). This still doesn't explain why I have zero signal with a direct dab aerial plugged into the dab unit. I have tried two different types (as per first post), I really need another car that runs this 4E0 910 563 C (dab unit) so I can test it.

The 3m cable I used was 000098654 but mine was for a saloon and also required an extra right angle flylead and plug. Looking at where the Avant's is fitted and the way it's installed I don't think you'll need the extra bits and will require a much smaller cable.

If you need a different length have a look at this page: http://partscatalog.info/audi/en/?i...0198&bf=03520&hgug=035&ug=35&parent_id=814339

The antenna amp you have looks to be the right one. It should have a black plug on for the DAB radio.

I agree it should probably work with a 3rd party antenna but having gone the OEM route I don't know if there's a certain spec antenna e.g. powered for it to work.

Last edited:
I've just been installing DAB into our A4. S8craig has semi helped but I think he's just given up.
We have an avant and from what I can tell I install the the amplifier into the driver side rear quarter window, solder it on. But I don't know if the amp needs extra power?

Although I'm not 100% on the Avant I don't believe it will need any additional power running.

I would say your DAB unit is faulty. I did consider the FISTUNE unit from Kufatec but it's a lot of money with the only real advantage of supporting DAB+ which of course the MMI 2G unit can't do. Not worth 3x the cost of an eBay unit that works - guess I fell lucky that I got a working one first time round but I have seen others say they've received duds. I got mine from a trader in Germany that offered 90 day warranty so made the decision a little easier.

You don't live anywhere near Heathrow by any chance wouldn't mind trying a working unit before I dump any more money into this.
Cheeky I know :)

Unfortunately not, I'm ooop norf :) up in the West Midlands. If you can travel I've got no issues with you trying it though.

Reactions: bobby singh
From my understanding the both rear quarter windows are connected together so the OEM gets power from the N/S.
However, I suggest maybe get a standalone dab aerial and plug it into the unit to see if you get signal.

I still haven't got mine working and I'm thinking of going for this unit:

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/f...ntegration-audi-mmi-2g-low-no-dab?action_ms=1

That's what I have for the MMI 3G with a Pure aerial, nothing is connected to my OS rear window though

Just to update this - I finally managed to get dab siginal and as mentioned above it was a faulty unit.
I'm still using th halfords aerial above and signal appears to be decent so I will keep this for now.

Reactions: scotty76 and jdp1962
Hi I have an aerial amp for sale from my C6 for the avant rear quarter window aerial if it's the same if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have DAB radio on 3G and it's *****, always dropping out. I prefer youtube from my iphone via bluetooth or tracks on the jukebox.