Help Please DAB Radio Signal Suddenly Very Poor?

777GE90

Reaction score
I've got a weird problem, the DAB radio signal in my B8.5 has become very poor. The car has been parked for 2 days (which is unusual), those two days include when the clocks changed over. Not sure if this is related, but once I got back in the car I noticed I would lose DAB radio signal in places that I normally never did, then it just became very intermitent. For example, the radio will play for 15 seconds, then lose signal, then play for another 15 seconds, then lose signal. Making it pretty much unusable.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

My Dab used to be very poor. Took ages to connect, just had the speaker with a line through it. When it did connect it wasn't for long.
But since I've updated my firmware to version 942 it's been perfect. It connects immediately and stays connected.

Have you a dashcam
Fitted? I got the BlackVue dr650 duel set up and it affects dab

Its strange you should mention that as I fitted a Blackvue dashcam next to the rearview mirror and my DAB radio signal seems to be more hit & miss now

Lot's of these camera systems have little to no EMC testing, I asked a couple of manufactures for there EMC test certificates (legal requirement for the UK) and not nothing back. One of the companies even charge for ferrites which is a complete joke, they expect to customers to fix there products by purchasing filters from them.

Might just be a national Dab issue as mine has been dropping in and out today, normally I have no issues.

I've had numerous issues over the years with my DAB. One time a cheap USB phone charger was the cause and another it was the aerial amplifier going duff. On another occasion I installed an aftermarket reversing camera and it produced so much noise the DAB stopped completely. I replaced it with a second hand Audi system and it worked fine. As B5NUT said, lots of stuff made overseas doesn't comply with emission standards and the use of plastic cases lets any EMI stream out.

Might just be a national Dab issue as mine has been dropping in and out today, normally I have no issues.

Hm, you may be right. The radio was perfectly fine again this morning, I thought it may be a fault with my receiver but I guess it was just an issue with DAB.

Where are you based? I'm in Buckinghamshire, maybe it was just our area.

Hm, you may be right. The radio was perfectly fine again this morning, I thought it may be a fault with my receiver but I guess it was just an issue with DAB.

Where are you based? I'm in Buckinghamshire, maybe it was just our area.
Based in Northamptonshire / Cambridgeshire area.

Its strange you should mention that as I fitted a Blackvue dashcam next to the rearview mirror and my DAB radio signal seems to be more hit & miss now
I got ferrites and put them on the cable in roofliner beside rear view mirror and at rear of roof liner and it has help dab signal a lot.

Still drops out in certain places but helps for couple of quid

Freeview were claiming that atmospherics were responsible for poor TV signals in some areas on Tuesday.

Lots of people complain that DAB is bad on Audi's in general, and it gets worse with dashcams (especially with a rear camera). I spent quite a bit of effort trying to stop my dashcam interfering with DAB but in the end I gave up. Having a dashcam is more important to me than the extras you get listening to DAB instead of FM.

I got ferrites and put them on the cable in roofliner beside rear view mirror and at rear of roof liner and it has help dab signal a lot.

Still drops out in certain places but helps for couple of quid
Do you have a link to these ferrites please?

Glad it's not just me then! Been having issues with DAB for a week or so, signal dropping out where it would normally be fine. Today it was back to normal though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Based in Northamptonshire / Cambridgeshire area.
I've had numerous issues over the years with my DAB. One time a cheap USB phone charger was the cause and another it was the aerial amplifier going duff. On another occasion I installed an aftermarket reversing camera and it produced so much noise the DAB stopped completely. I replaced it with a second hand Audi system and it worked fine. As B5NUT said, lots of stuff made overseas doesn't comply with emission standards and the use of plastic cases lets any EMI stream out.
I had DAB radio issues for a couple of months - couldn't understand why it was dropping out and coming back in - really frustrating. Called Audi who wanted £180 to have a look with no guarantee of anything so trawled the net and found this post. It was a cheap £2 USB splitter I had put in the boot to allow for charging in the boot - unplugged it and worked immediately - so thanks for these posts !! Brilliant and saved me a lot of money and hassle.
Oh and one other thing - my front right squeaks like so many other cars on here - Audi never hear it of course - will look to get the top strut bearings changed when I can. Car is 2014 S3 saloon from new.