DAB+ UK here

Stonefish

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just noticed a few new channels on my DAB screen on my MMI under the SDL directory which correspond to some test transmissions for a few DAB+ channels which apparently go live on Tuesday 1st March. It is good to know that the exiting radio can handle these DAB+ channels. Absolute 80's is one of them :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I've always had Absolute 80s on my DAB. Are there any more?

There is a national DAB reshuffle scheduled for Tuesday 1st March, a retune will be required on all DAB radios; the Audi DAB radios do this at start-up every so often (5 restarts I think). You know when you are doing as when you tart the car and try to change the radio channel and its says "Radio Initialising........." or something like that.

I will be most happy when the non-BBC channels finally go to stereo, especially Planet Rock. Its a real shame that the future of radio is stuck in the past on this front.

The three DAB+ stations don't show up on mine, but the rest of the multiplex does. Surprising considering my local transmitter isn't one of the launch sites for the new multiplex.

Supposedly DAB+ will be better quality( aac+ encoding compared to MP2 for the old DAB. What ever that means!?). The Absolute 80's on DAB+ said that it would be moving from DAB to DAB+. I know some old DAB portable radios won't be able to handle the new channels thankfully the MMI radio works so no expensive upgrade.

Checked this morning and there are now two Planet Rock channels on DAB. One has a lower case z in front of the name. Couldn't tell if one was less compressed sounding, but didn't have long enough to properly compare. Maybe my Symphony/B&O/no MMI set up won't deliver the benefits of DAB+. Where's my user manual...

My car is displaying 18 new channels. Some are not fully operational yet, but no re-tuning was needed.

I have b&o and MMI+ but don't have dab, is it an expensive retro fit?

And just found my Non-MMI radio operating manual which states that DAB+ is supported, so looking forward to some high-def audio listening. Old DAB was noticeably compressed in comparison to FM, to my ears anyway.

This retrofit is one of the easiest I've done. Swap over the radio unit, attach the antenna amplifier to the drivers side back pillar and run a cable between the two. Second hand, you are looking at around £200-250 for the radio unit. DAB antenna amplifier around £30 and a cable, I think 3 metres ~£12. You will need component protection removed and maybe some coding.

I can't seem to see the new version of absolute 80's (being born in 1971, this is very much a favourite channel) I've got 3G MMI but can only see the old channel (it says old beside the listing).
Do I need to add another frequency somehow, I've been trying to sort it this last few days but can't seem to get it to retune.

I can't seem to see the new version of absolute 80's (being born in 1971, this is very much a favourite channel) I've got 3G MMI but can only see the old channel (it says old beside the listing).
Do I need to add another frequency somehow, I've been trying to sort it this last few days but can't seem to get it to retune.

Any luck finding the new absolute 80s? I've been having the same problem for weeks, it could be down to geographical area as apparently the new station is going over to DAB+ which only 75% of the country has coverage.

Perhaps older MMI's dont support DAB+?

Abs80s isn't going to be on DAB+. It's moved frequencies and is now on the new SDL mux (which only has partial coverage at the moment). I can pick it up ok where I am in Kent.

Yep, definitely location based.
No longer available in most of Norfolk, but having travelled considerably recently, it's not car related as I can get it it in other parts if the country.

They have transferred to a different MUX and a lot of stations have disappeared here in Norfolk, **** happens. They will expand again and they will come back. I now use the apps for the stations and stream them from my phone when I am in Norfolk as we get good 3G and 4G signals.