DAB waveband disappeared

MarkTH

Reaction score
I have an 2016 A3 Sline. Two weeks ago the DAB waveband disappeared from the radio. My DAB channels are still showing under my saved channels but when I select them there is no sound. If I turn up the volume it says that the channel is unavailable.

I’d tried all settings and a reset but cannot resolve it.

Has anybody got a solution?

One common cause of loss of DAB signal is installing a phone charger or dashcam. Often the power supplies in these are very low quality and radiate wideband noise which obliterates the DAB signal.

Thanks for the reply. I do have a USB charger plugged into the cigarette lighter but I’ve tried unplugging this and re-starting - still no joy. Plus I’ve been using the charger for 12 month without any interference with the DAB.
Has anyone any other suggestions?

A quick google seems to suggest that the DAB antenna is the rear window de-misting element, with at least one (and possibly three?) antenna amplifiers mounted behind the hatchback trim. Somebody on here should be able to pull up the exploded diagrams from the maintenance manual. Possibly a failed amplifier or a crack in the element? Does the de-mister still work ok?

I found a pic where you can see the amplifer connected to the de-misting element: https://media2.lajumate.ro/media/i/...-audi-a3-8v-2012-prezent-cod-8v4035225b_1.jpg

The Sportback seems to have a set of three: https://bt-cars.pl/26233-large_defa...035225d-8v4-035-225-modele-8v-2013-anteny.jpg
They're marked OL and OR (Oben = Top, left and right) and UL (Unterseite = Bottom, left)

Last edited:
Ideally, take it to audi if in warranty, if not then proper diagnostic needed.

Whereabouts are you located?

I had that on mine a few years ago. Turned out to be a dodgy connection in the wiring loom (but FM radio still worked).

Before taking stuff apart, try a full DAB retune by selecting a station, and then the ‘seek up’ button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve checked the element on the rear window and I can’t see any breaks. The rear demister works ok.
I can’t retune DAB as the waveband doesn’t even show any more. Stored DAB stations show but can’t be modified.

I’ve booked my car in for a service in a few weeks and they will check things out. Unfortunately the manufacturers warranty expires before the service. I have extended warranty but it doesn’t cover entertainment equipment.

Hi MarkTH,
Did Audi manage to sort this out for you as yesterday my Audi A3 has the exact same issue whereby DAB has disappeared?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Stuart

My car is booked in for next Friday. I’ll let you know what they find

I had my A3 in today at the Audi dealer. There is a fault with the entertainment system and the whole unit needs replacing. The unit alone is over £2000. Fortunately I have 6 weeks of warranty left.

Took mine in. Fault believed to be the aerial. Quote for aerial alone was £125+ vat + fitting. I’ve decided not to go ahead at the moment.

My DAB vanished last week but a quick MMI reset sorted it. Worth a try.

Took mine in. Fault believed to be the aerial. Quote for aerial alone was £125+ vat + fitting. I’ve decided not to go ahead at the moment.

The fitting and painting will be the expensive bit.
Headliner need to come out or moved out the way without creasing it. I would be worried about that.
I know on the a6 some guys have replaced the dab aerial with an aftermarket one, around £10-20, that is hidden behind the dash. Not sure if this can be done on the a3.

The fitting and painting will be the expensive bit.
Headliner need to come out or moved out the way without creasing it. I would be worried about that.
I know on the a6 some guys have replaced the dab aerial with an aftermarket one, around £10-20, that is hidden behind the dash. Not sure if this can be done on the a3.
Standard connection, can be replaced by an aerial from eBay... example:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/292271507218

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Dunedin and AlS3BE
DAB is rubbish. Go down a dip or in a valley and the signal disappears. Same as over the Pennines, signal loss.

complete rubbish.

Hi folks, bumping this topic as I have a similar issue here with 2015 S3 8v, as witnessed by @DJAlix on Monday during retrofit session:

DAB randomly disappears from waveband options having started car, and just as randomly reappears when next starting the next time.
Can only turn volume down.
Stored DAB channels are still displayed but cannot be selected.
DAB can be restored by resetting the MMI.

DJAlix couldn't find any errors logged but suggested that issue is likely with MMI module in glovebox . There is little ventilation around the module and it rapidly gets hot!

At the mo I'm pondering a firmware update, failing that buying a replacement MMI off ebay and getting DJAlix to sort the component protection. Car is out of warranty so no chance I'm paying upwards of 2k to Audi.

In the meantime I'm getting quite proficient at the 3 finger click .

BTW, thanks again DJAlix. I'll put a post in your review thread before long. Suffice to say for now that the speaker and sub upgrade is ace, as is the reversing camera. Yet to catch anything nefarious on the dashcams...touch wood!

Cheers
Jamie

Hi folks, bumping this topic as I have a similar issue here with 2015 S3 8v, as witnessed by @DJAlix on Monday during retrofit session:

DAB randomly disappears from waveband options having started car, and just as randomly reappears when next starting the next time.
Can only turn volume down.
Stored DAB channels are still displayed but cannot be selected.
DAB can be restored by resetting the MMI.

DJAlix couldn't find any errors logged but suggested that issue is likely with MMI module in glovebox . There is little ventilation around the module and it rapidly gets hot!

At the mo I'm pondering a firmware update, failing that buying a replacement MMI off ebay and getting DJAlix to sort the component protection. Car is out of warranty so no chance I'm paying upwards of 2k to Audi.

In the meantime I'm getting quite proficient at the 3 finger click .

BTW, thanks again DJAlix. I'll put a post in your review thread before long. Suffice to say for now that the speaker and sub upgrade is ace, as is the reversing camera. Yet to catch anything nefarious on the dashcams...touch wood!

Cheers
Jamie
Hey! Thanks for the kind words and was a pleasure working on your vehicle! Have not been back to you yet as the technical systems have been down. As soon as I have access again I will let you know about the updates etc.

Screenshot 2019 09 18 at 190018

I had this happen on my PFL A3 with MMI high. Took it into main dealers. They said they were aware of this happening on other models. It was a software glitch for which they had made up a "repair" SD card. They ran the card and the DAB was restored. No charge.

Indeed, all is well again with my DAB. Thanks @DJAlix.

@MarAnt, that's useful info that I hadn't come across before so thanks for posting.

In my case, main dealer wasn't an option and the car was already with DJAlix for some other work.

Key thing is that we both got our DAB issue resolved and info is now out there to help anyone else. :icon thumright:

Reactions: DJAlix
Indeed, all is well again with my DAB. Thanks @DJAlix.

@MarAnt, that's useful info that I hadn't come across before so thanks for posting.

In my case, main dealer wasn't an option and the car was already with DJAlix for some other work.

Key thing is that we both got our DAB issue resolved and info is now out there to help anyone else. :icon thumright:
More than welcome sir!

If this solution can be performed via a dealership at no cost happy days however the official documents list timing charges and warranty related informations so I would not expect "no cost" by default. I know I was charged for the solution :(

Probably right DjAlix. I have an extended warranty with £100 excess. The service rep did originally say that an initial diagnosis check would be £90 before being aware their IT man had a software fix for it. I'm a regular customer so maybe a goodwill gesture.

Probably right DjAlix. I have an extended warranty with £100 excess. The service rep did originally say that an initial diagnosis check would be £90 before being aware their IT man had a software fix for it. I'm a regular customer so maybe a goodwill gesture.
most likely the case however the most important thing is that the issue is sorted :)

Really interested to know what the fix for this is. Same problem has occurred on my 2015 S3 which is obviously out of warranty.

Is there a DIY solution?

Thanks

Really interested to know what the fix for this is. Same problem has occurred on my 2015 S3 which is obviously out of warranty.

Is there a DIY solution?

Thanks
DIY = no as it would be illegal to supply a copy of the needed software / patch.

As mentioned above Audi can apply this to your MMI, costs may be involved depending on the dealership. I am also able to apply but there would be a small cost involved as I am charged to access the data.

DIY = no as it would be illegal to supply a copy of the needed software / patch.

As mentioned above Audi can apply this to your MMI, costs may be involved depending on the dealership. I am also able to apply but there would be a small cost involved as I am charged to access the data.

Great thank you. I’d be interested in you doing this.

Just bumping this back up.
I visited @DJAlix today and he applied the fix mentioned above. I'm happy to report that my DAB is now alive and kicking so the problem is sorted.
Many thanks @DJAlix - top bloke :)

Reactions: DJAlix
Just bumping this back up.
I visited @DJAlix today and he applied the fix mentioned above. I'm happy to report that my DAB is now alive and kicking so the problem is sorted.
Many thanks @DJAlix - top bloke :)
Great to meet both you and your car today. Glad all is now working for you :)