Daft Stop Start Question

Chris90

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi

We all know stop start activates when the car is out of gear, foot off the clutch and stationary (plus the other conditions)

So what happens if you were stopped in traffic, with engine stopped via stop start, and push the gear stick into a gear without pressing the clutch down, and the car decides it needs to be running again, from maybe cabin temperature, steering wheel movement or it needs power. Will the car attempt to start whilst its in gear?

Seems daft but im curious, but dont fancy testing it out haha

Chris

Dunno, mine is set to default to the off position. Best way to run the car.

But I suspect the same interlock that prevents you from starting it in gear yourself will stop the car from starting it in gear.

That would be the clutch?

Start stop can start the car without the clutch in though

Dunno, mine is set to default to the off position. Best way to run the car.

But I suspect the same interlock that prevents you from starting it in gear yourself will stop the car from starting it in gear.
hi how do you set to default off or is it just that button to switch it off every trip or can it be set permanent ?

not sure why people dislike it? I think its pretty good feature.

Reactions: feva and AudiLeon
- Go to Module 09-Cent. Elec.
- Enter Security Code (shown up by default) (mine was 20113)
- Go to Adaptation, Type Channel 34 and hit Read button, it should show the factory default number in value window.
- Subtract 4 from factory default number/value to set Start&Stop to default to off every time engine is started.
- Test & Save

Reactions: desertstorm and jdp1962
Hi

We all know stop start activates when the car is out of gear, foot off the clutch and stationary (plus the other conditions)

So what happens if you were stopped in traffic, with engine stopped via stop start, and push the gear stick into a gear without pressing the clutch down, and the car decides it needs to be running again, from maybe cabin temperature, steering wheel movement or it needs power. Will the car attempt to start whilst its in gear?

Seems daft but im curious, but dont fancy testing it out haha

Chris

Me too, but with wife's Polo, I hope someone comes up with the real facts, like has been said, the cars can restart if there is a energy reason or even if you let them roll forward.

I'm trading my car in, so spend a few minutes returning the car to standard coding.
What a pain that stop/start is! I keep forgetting to press the button.

Missing the beep on locking too.

Why not just leave it on. Be a pleasant surprise for the new owner :D

If you cars sat there idling...its using fuel. If you just start a journey, and watch trip computer 1 (the MPG for that trip) you can see the MPG drop just by being stood idling.

Exactly that Chris90

If mine doesn't activate the mpg drops whilst sitting in traffic, doesn't happen when the stop/start is active. I don't care about whether anyone else wants to use it, it works for me and that's all that matters :tearsofjoy:

One of my old cars used to swap from mpg to litres per hour when idling, not sure if Audis do it cos I have never looked at instantaneous mpg. It was quite a small number.

Not my Audi (B6, waasaaaay before stop:start!) but my work sprinter stop/start does not activate when I sit in-gear and clutch released. I always do this at lights unless on a steep incline as the travel on the handbreak is ridiculous, off the clutch in neutral and the engine stops, slip into 1st and off the foot break then when the traffic starts moving I dip the clutch to start the engine and head off as usual.

Frank