Dan's S3 Build Thread.................

Ok UPDATE time haha.

Done a massive amount to the car in the last 6 months but just not had time to really post it up.

Ive done a lot of traditional mods but ive also fitted some unique mods and gone down my own route with some stuff and seems to have worked well.

Heres a few pics of the car at the moment and a few of the engine.

7392e123.jpg

02e741d0.jpg

70537429.jpg

ff892ac9.jpg

49208c32.jpg

Exhaust:

In january i had the xs power dp and decat mated to a fully custom 3" catback exhaust, this was done by exhaust uk in sheffield. Impressions are good, car has a unreal sound to it, has a nice rumble and back fire on low rpm and just sounds imense on full chat. The only downside to it is the rear part where the 3" pipe goes around the rear subframe, its a bit low and due to the car been low it catchs on mound style speed bumps.
Pics and vids to follow soon.

Then i fitted the forge non-res charge pipe.

fdb1ef37.jpg

9aef3b39.jpg

f609f480.jpg

The pipe cost me £20, sold my old one for a right laugh and giggle. My oem charge pipe had been de-baffled byself years ago and tbh i always regretted it, it shredded my forge turbo elbow and seemed to hold the turbo back in a sense. As soon as i fitted the forge one, the turbo seemed to spool quicker and felt more happy to rev, now i dont know if it would still have felt the same agaisnt a oem baffled charge pipe but the car deffo felt better. Also youll see i painted the charge pipe in vht wrinkle paint, as youll soon see i dont like engine bay bling haha.

Next up was my ultimate short shifter mod. I took a gamble with this. My s3 had the ball and socket style cable ends and i read up of the leon boys having the bolt and c-clip style ones, they where when sikaflexing the bush to fill the little voids.
So i went out and bought the newer style cable ends and bought a front to back compbrake shifter for about £20 off egay, i then bought a side to side forge shifter, i sikaflexed the bushes and fitted the bolt/c-clip fittings to the shifter.
I took the old shifters off and fitted the new short ones, the car felt immense to drive, gear changes were so precise and solid, no more slack changes and the gearbox feels a lot better, not as notchy and lighting fast gear changes so excellent when booting it.
Not the best pics, i got carried away fitting and forgot to take some:
3a3ef69b.jpg

7d913807.jpg

I set the front to back on the shortest setting but the side to side is only about half way as i read that if you set it on its shortest setting you can struggle to get 2,4,6 gears and also reverse.

Next up where the tfsi coil packs and porsche oil and coolant caps.

Obviuosly the caps add nothing to perfromance but do look good :).

The tfsi coils on the other hand do seem to be value for money, i had the bolt down style and they had been on the car for the last 3 years ive owned so god knows how old they where.
Anyway the tfsi coils seemed to have smoothed the car out, hard to explain the car felt stronger with them. The only thing to watch that i found out was that i had broken coil pack loom connections, with the tfsi coils been larger it is causing the connectors to be stretched and strain them and they seem to want to slide off, i need a new loom i know.

a4952885.jpg

ea5df432.jpg

Right thats it for min, im loading more photos up and ill try and post the bigger updates over the bank holiday.

Just want to say thanks to all you guys for the help and inspiration to do what ive done and to learn what ive learnt :).

Thanks mate, should have the rest of the updates up by tuesday.

Tel you what mate it would be interesting to see what our cars do on the rollers and vs each other.

Before the 3" tbe and fmic and inlet mani and throttle body the car was pulling 188 g/s, so arounf 235 bhp so god knows what its pulling now, it feels sssoooooo much faster though and still makes similar boost.

Dont know if you noticed this mate but after fitting my fmic and mani, the car boosts to other 20 psi sometimes in low gears, like 1/2nd but only if booting it, all other gears are fine!!

Thanks mate, should have the rest of the updates up by tuesday.

Tel you what mate it would be interesting to see what our cars do on the rollers and vs each other.

Before the 3" tbe and fmic and inlet mani and throttle body the car was pulling 188 g/s, so arounf 235 bhp so god knows what its pulling now, it feels sssoooooo much faster though and still makes similar boost.

Dont know if you noticed this mate but after fitting my fmic and mani, the car boosts to other 20 psi sometimes in low gears, like 1/2nd but only if booting it, all other gears are fine!!
yeh it will be interesting what the cars can do with these mods purely from it adjusting the standard map.
most i saw airflow wise before my FMIC and downpipe/decat was 191g/s. i dont expect it to have changed tbh, suggesting 238hp is pretty fkn good!

20 psi is mad, how has it not gone into limp mode!?
i need to do some logging i think, see whats what, see if boost is safe thats for sure!
mine feels ****** strong now. pulls harder for longer throughout the rev range, which is what i expected so im well pleased. for a standard map the pull is constant, doesnt die much top end.
id like to do some timing on the p-box but i dont want to abuse my clutch :( which is also another thing putting me off mapping, been looking at clutches so im prepared.

what is your inlet and TB?

Well i think im pushing the oem map beyond its capabilitys big time.

Nope, no limp mode, the car will boost to 20+psi then just taper down until redline or i change gear into 3rd onwards etc.

I've fitted a phenolic gasket then the inlet has been fully ported on the mouth and a adaptor fitted and mated to a v6 mk4 tb, then ive gasket matched the runners, after fitting this the car just pulls to the redline, itll make 13 psi to redline then the limiter kicks in, its quite scary how much it pulls lol.