dark side tdi turbo kits

tony mc

Reaction score
now then, has any one had any of the upgrad turbo kits from dark side developments fitted to their tdi, (the ones that take the 140 tdi's from 140 to 200/220/240)

looking out for any info as i'm really starting to like the idea,

got the funds to do it, its just should i.:icon thumright:

she could be one of the fasterest 140's about if i do it :cool: not heard of many others who have gone daft with a 140.
what do you lot think ???

It's not just a case on bolting the turbo on and away you go, you're going to need a custom map to get it working correctly.

Ideally you would also want to fit a fmic, decat, and egr delete at a minimum.

It's not just a case on bolting the turbo on and away you go, you're going to need a custom map to get it working correctly.

Ideally you would also want to fit a fmic, decat, and egr delete at a minimum.

sorry i should of put a link in to show what you get, i know i can't just whack a turbo on and go, i've modded lots of previous cars so i know the crack, in the uprated turbo kit you get something like this,

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....killer-turbo-kit-inc-fitting-and-mapping.html

drive in drive out go in with a 140 tdi and come out with a 220 tdi lol

just a question, how many miles has the car covered or maybe a better question would be how many miles has the engine covered.
Just had a look at the link and the killer option is a shade under £2k, seems like a lot of cash to throw at a 140 to be honest just for a power increase and unless the engine is in good condition etc it does'nt make sense to throw that sort of cash at an engine that wont be upto the job, better of putting the cash towards a more powerfull version A4 , just my thoughts as a mere petrol user, good luck anyway.

You can get all those parts and a remap for a lot less than what Darkside sell that for. You have to add VAT to all there prices.
You are paying quite a bit for the convenience of one stop.

if i spend the dosh it wont be a 140 any more, the cars done just over 100k engines on the 140's is a good sturdy block and its in very good nick and well looked after, the thinking behind all this is, lots of people have had to put new or recon turbos on these or so reading on the net informs me, so with that in mind and prices of new good quality standard turbo's and all that go's with the job of fitting one why not, i'm in to preventative maintenance anyway, ha ha. and i would like the extra pony's if i'm honest, don't wont to sell the car just to start again, this one looks the nuts and it's well sorted, has my touch and i like what i like simple

fair enough , good luck with it and dont forget piccy's of it when done.

fair enough , good luck with it and dont forget piccy's of it when done.

Lol if it gets done, i want more info first, the post above by desertstorm makes a good point, how much am i paying for the roll in service they give ??? Can i get all the bits cheaper and then map it up ???

XMAN750 on Ebay has been selling converted GTB1756 turbos and many others for quite a while now. Enquire about a price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrett-G...764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e924e7364

A good custom exhaust place could make you a downpipe and sytem for not much more than the cost of a downpipe from Darkside.

A 4 bar sensor and braided oil line from Darkside is about £100. I think you could save £500 or so by fitting it yourself and shopping around, you could put that towards a new clutch.

XMAN750 on Ebay has been selling converted GTB1756 turbos and many others for quite a while now. Enquire about a price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrett-G...764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e924e7364

A good custom exhaust place could make you a downpipe and sytem for not much more than the cost of a downpipe from Darkside.

A 4 bar sensor and braided oil line from Darkside is about £100. I think you could save £500 or so by fitting it yourself and shopping around, you could put that towards a new clutch.

cheers mate that'll give me something to do when i get in from graft, i've got a miltek on the car with the downpipe, just need to de-cat, the system is 2.5" not sure if i would need to go 3" or not, hopefully not.

thanks for the info desertstorm

Why not use the money and part-ex for a 3.0tdi? More power off the bat and much more tuning potential if that's what you're after...
This is the best advice so far, not trying to be funny but i look after a heavily modded b7 a4 2.0 PPD Tdi 170 Bhp, the car had 3" exhaust, darkside tubular manifold, a gtb2265Vklr ball bearing turbo, Bosio race nozzles, Sachs SRE clutch, etc. The car goes like a scalded cat but it's not reliable- EGT are high and the fancy Darkside manifold cracked at the flange weld 2 weeks after instalation. We just did a bracket with rose joints to support the turbo somehow- just to stop it from breaking the manifold again...

The owner had many sleepless nights over the car and many times came back tot the garage on a low loader ! As they said: there's no replacement for displacement !

Reactions: kanecullen89 and eddscott
^^^This is good to know. I've been very tempted with going doing the mod route with my 170. I discussed the options with darkside but the costs involved did make me wonder whether it was truly worth it.

I came to the conclusion that £3K or £4K would better be spent on an old scooby to rag about on the weekend than turn my trusty 170 into a moving time bomb :D

The 3.0tdi is a good shout but am I right in thinking there isn't many manuals around? Same with the S4 - hard to find a decent looking manual.

My mate had a 140 with a darkside hybrid turbo and it didn't last very long! he ended up taking it off and selling the car! not sure what they're like now

Don't forget, with large power gains comes a lot more torque on DERV's The clutch and flywheel have to be up to it.

^^^This is good to know. I've been very tempted with going doing the mod route with my 170. I discussed the options with darkside but the costs involved did make me wonder whether it was truly worth it.

I came to the conclusion that £3K or £4K would better be spent on an old scooby to rag about on the weekend than turn my trusty 170 into a moving time bomb :D

The 3.0tdi is a good shout but am I right in thinking there isn't many manuals around? Same with the S4 - hard to find a decent looking manual.

True, they are but a few and far away but look hard and be prepared to travel a lot, you'll find one. Saves a lot of hassle having a cooking model and spending money & time upgrading with all it's pitfalls as well. Another consideration is the extra insurance and the fact that Joe Public won't buy your car come the time you sell it.

thanks to all so far, see this is the kind of info i need, i know it would be better to get a 3.0 tdi to start which is what i would of loved, but i'm kind of stuck with the 140 at the moment, i need to know about these horror stories so i don't chuck money at it for it to go bang ten mins later, also the original plan was to get back in a honda for the summer but never wanted the hassle of 2 separate insurance's,
may go with that honda plan yet not sure. but any more stories or info just keep them coming i wanted the car to be safe/reliable and have more power but if i can't have both then i'll stick with it being safe,

cheers boys

p.s. @ adamss24 how much bhp and torque have you got in the 170

Last edited:
thanks to all so far, see this is the kind of info i need...

p.s. @ adamss24 how much bhp and torque have you got in the 170
The car has not been dino'ed as yet but judging by the slipping Sachs SRE clutch which is rated at a good 700 Nm or torque- i re kon it has in excess of 300-320 Bhp ! The car is very, very quick but pointless at the same time as it's FWD and not quattro ! I have a close to 380 Bhp audi s4 b6 and the derv pulls just as fast as the NA petrol lump !

The car has not been dino'ed as yet but judging by the slipping Sachs SRE clutch which is rated at a good 700 Nm or torque- i re kon it has in excess of 300-320 Bhp ! The car is very, very quick but pointless at the same time as it's FWD and not quattro ! I have a close to 380 Bhp audi s4 b6 and the derv pulls just as fast as the NA petrol lump !

yeh i get you about the power and front wheel drive, i was into my volvo t5's for a few years and they were the same to much on the front, my old s70 t5 was wound up quite a bit and would tear chunks out of the tyres

Depends if you're doing it for the fun of modding, or you want a very quick car. The A4 isn't an ideal choice for either of these, however it ticks many other boxes (comfort, medium size, boot (on the avant), 4WD (on the quattro), lots of extras available, etc), so I can see why a lot of people end up with one looking for a bit more power.

My 2p would be to get a stage 1 remap and leave it at that. It will make the car much more drivable and won't endanger any other components (clutch, flywheel, lump, turbo, etc) providing you don't go for an overly aggressive remap.

In the mean time, the money that you would have spent on modification (and the extra in maintenance and repairs) can go into a pot an in a year you'll be able to part-ex the 2.0tdi for a 3.0tdi.

It is true that the manual 3.0tdi is harder to find than the automatic, however before discounting it completely I would recommend a test drive in one. I vowed I would never buy an automatic... but here I am 3 years down the line with a 3.0tdi auto and I struggle to find a reason to change the car every 3 months or so, even the auto box doesn't put me off...

On a side note, a stage 1 remapped 3.0tdi would produce about 260-270bhp and more torque than an RS4, with no additional maintenance issues. Food for thought...