Dash Cam with good battery life

Ormesome

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a dash cam that has really good battery life? Basically im over in Italy at the mo and really need a dash cam but auto electricians here are super super expensive so hard wiring it is not going to happen soon. Ideally i would have had one fitted at Halfords or somewhere in the UK as lots of places seem to do cheap installations. This is what i will do when i get back to the UK in a couple of months. Driving over here is incredible, every drive is almost a car crash. Today a motorbike nearly crashed in to me because he was texting and looking at his phone! Really shook me up and i got thinking that i really need to take precautions as its only a matter of time that some sort of scrape happens. Anyway, digressing.... Just after a camera i can put in the top of the window, behind the rear view mirror, small ish but with good battery life so i can have it hard wired when im home. I only drive around 20mins per day so i dont mind charging it every few days. Didnt want cables hanging around, just want to get in the car, turn it on and its done.

Any help would be appreciated :grinning:

Thanks

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Think you might struggle to find one like that as they're not really designed to be run off battery. I'd get whatever you can / want and run the cable just to the lighter socket for now (if you can't get it hard wired there).

What I can recommend though, which is hopefully some help, is to not bother paying anyone in the UK when you get back... hard wiring is a really really easy job! Can be done in an hour no problems.

Reactions: Ormesome and Krash
Do it yourself, 10 minute job.

Reactions: azibux1 and Ormesome
Dash cams run on capacitors, nowadays. They safer in running/operating temperature and environment (direct sunlight).
Hard wiring, as stated before, is really easy.
To do it properly, get a batt pack hardwired to the car and dash cam connected to it.
Batt pack just need constant power piggybacked into and negative, earthed anywhere to the cars chassis.
Hide all the wires behind the trims and off you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ormesome and azibux1
Cheers guys. Some food for thought. I found a few with battery packs but they are Chinese and dont have good reviews on Amazon. Gonna just wack the GoPro in the car for now and splash out on a good cam when im back in the UK i think. Either that or get a good one soon and just use the cig lighter for power. Im pretty pants at wiring and anything electronic so wiring is defo not an option!

There is not much that can go wrong with hard wiring the batt pack but understand your point.

Can't you get the proper dash cam with batt pack sent over from UK?
Usually all this will have manual and fitting instructions and as long as you follow them, nothing can happen.

Reactions: Ormesome
Don’t know how highly people on here rate nextbase dash cams but there is a 30% off code (CCT30) available at the moment when you order direct from them.

Nextbase seem to have quite a wide variety and which reviews seem to rate them quite highly. I’ve only gone for a basic camera (still full 1080p and parking mode etc) but it’s only cost me just under £50 so can hardly complain as long as it does its job.

The Nextbase 1440P ones make sense but the ****** things drop to the dash with the useless suction cup .

3M sticky pad mounted camera's FTW .

My Nextbase one has been on the screen for four months now and never fallen off.
Just make sure the screen is clean and you push the latch down on the sucker.

Yep all good but the 512G loves to fall down like Humpty Dumpy , has happened four times now , not impressed .

I have a 412GW and the sucker effectiveness can sometimes be ace and other times cr@p......when it was in my last car, it stayed in pace for 5-6 months at a time, but since I moved it in to the S3, it kept falling down (even after cleaned windscreen) so I have taken the plunge and used the sticky mount instead.
Back on topic, very good cameras for the money - there is better out there, but I think the 412/512 are a decent price/quality/spec synergy.

This looks amazing and it’s on my wish list but i don’t know if anyone here has used it.

http://www.kammu.com/shop/dash-cam/...a-video-recorder-with-full-hd-1080p-g-sensor/
This Kammu dash cam for the A3 looks interesting. Nice that it appears fits the mirror housing.

Here is a link to the Kammu UK website http://www.kammu.com/articles/dash-cams-news/how-to-install-dashcam-onto-audi-a6/ with some photos of one being fitted in an A6. I assume the A3 will be much the same. Prices seem to be in dollars so I have emailed them asking for a UK price.

Last edited: