Dash cam

Raul_sbd

Reaction score
Anyone could recommend a dash cam for my Audi a3 8v? I heard Mio dash cams are quite good and not v expensive also.

Also does anyone know if the 12v cigarette plug has constant power? Will it drain the battery leaving it on?

Many thanks

The 12v Cigarette lighter is only powered when the ignition is on (unless its changed since I got my S3 in Apr 2014)
I have the NextBase 402G Dashcam in mine, which came out top in the Which survey and I got from Halfords. It plugs into the ciggie lighter so is easy to mount and uses (up to) a 64Gb mini SD card. You can also get a kit to wire it into the back of the fuse box if you wish (I haven't), which might could give permanent power (depending on the fuse you gang off). Like many dashcams, the plug into the ciggie lighter is also a "converter" as the actual dashcam runs off 5v (hence why if you fit to a fuse box, you need their kit).

The 12v Cigarette lighter is only powered when the ignition is on (unless its changed since I got my S3 in Apr 2014)
I have the NextBase 402G Dashcam in mine, which came out top in the Which survey and I got from Halfords. It plugs into the ciggie lighter so is easy to mount and uses (up to) a 64Gb mini SD card. You can also get a kit to wire it into the back of the fuse box if you wish (I haven't), which might could give permanent power (depending on the fuse you gang off). Like many dashcams, the plug into the ciggie lighter is also a "converter" as the actual dashcam runs off 5v (hence why if you fit to a fuse box, you need their kit).
Could you put some pictures on how you have tried to mask it off? As what I don't like is the cables lying around and specially the suction cup on the window.. Is there anyway to stick it on the actual dash in the middle??

Blackvue camera's are good. Mine is wired straight to the fuse box but you can make the cig lighter 12v permanently live by changing the position of the fuse. There is three three slots for that fuse and it occupys two. Change it round and it will always be on. Just be careful it doesn't run your battery flat. The blackvue can be bought with a power magic pro which switches it off when the battery current drops :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
I'll do some piccies in the morning as the light is going now. Regards mounting on the dash in the middle - you can to an extent - you'd still have to use the suction cup, but have the camera upside down and then in the settings tell it that (so it took pictures the right way up), however IMO, not a good place to have a dash cam, as you cut too much off at the bottom. The ideal place is up by the interior mirror. And actually that's not too bad, as there is a gap between the headlining and the windscreen, so the cable "tucks" away behind it (I've taken mine down the passenger side); on the "A" pillar, you can gently prise out the covering over the screws to get the cover off and get the cable behind there (actually mind pushed behind no worries so I found out later), you then get a short piece of about 6" showing as it goes across from the bottom corner of the "A" pillar (where it meets the dash) to the door, where again, it pushes back behind the side of the dash, and then underneath, you can just pull the carpet back to get it behind the panelling, behind the glove box and up to the ciggie lighter vicinity. So all in all, realistically, I only have the bit of cable between the windscreen and the door, and a bit of cable where it plugs into the ciggie lighter showing.

As I say I'll do a series of pictures in the morning and post them up, did try but they were coming out too dark to make anything out (trouble when you have a black cable on black headlining and dash!

The thing you can't get away from though (sorry) is the suction cup on the window. But it does hide behind the mirror!

Reactions: Raul_sbd
I'm using an old Panasonic GS320 MiniDv camcorder mounted to a CruiseCam like the example pic below:

Cruise-Cam.jpg

Since there are no car adapters for these camcorders. I use a DC Converter.

20160228_063253.jpg

Reactions: pburv and RO65ERS
I'll do some piccies in the morning as the light is going now. Regards mounting on the dash in the middle - you can to an extent - you'd still have to use the suction cup, but have the camera upside down and then in the settings tell it that (so it took pictures the right way up), however IMO, not a good place to have a dash cam, as you cut too much off at the bottom. The ideal place is up by the interior mirror. And actually that's not too bad, as there is a gap between the headlining and the windscreen, so the cable "tucks" away behind it (I've taken mine down the passenger side); on the "A" pillar, you can gently prise out the covering over the screws to get the cover off and get the cable behind there (actually mind pushed behind no worries so I found out later), you then get a short piece of about 6" showing as it goes across from the bottom corner of the "A" pillar (where it meets the dash) to the door, where again, it pushes back behind the side of the dash, and then underneath, you can just pull the carpet back to get it behind the panelling, behind the glove box and up to the ciggie lighter vicinity. So all in all, realistically, I only have the bit of cable between the windscreen and the door, and a bit of cable where it plugs into the ciggie lighter showing.

As I say I'll do a series of pictures in the morning and post them up, did try but they were coming out too dark to make anything out (trouble when you have a black cable on black headlining and dash!

The thing you can't get away from though (sorry) is the suction cup on the window. But it does hide behind the mirror!
That's a really nice explanation looking forward to the pictures in the morning I also have the s line black lining so the back cable will b good ;)

I'm using an old Panasonic GS320 MiniDv camcorder mounted to a CruiseCam like the example pic below:

Cruise-Cam.jpg

20160228_063253.jpg
Seriously??

Reactions: Rob2k68 and wooder
From the window to the glove box you can also tuck the cabling into the bottom of the A pillar. I haven't tuck mine under the carpet. I've fed it through the glove box so you really only see the bit sticking out to the 12v.

So as promised, some piccies of my NextBase 402G installed in the car. Having taken these I notice that I could have made a better job of having the wire going upright from the cam itself into the headlining, but I'll admit I just quickly wired it back in post having my screen replaced last weekend. I'll adjust that this weekend when I hard wire it into my fuse box (the kit for that is an additional £20).
I've also taken a picture with the back display on (you have it either on or off depending on how you set it up), so you can see what I meant earlier about depth of field. At the top of the screen, it just nicely catches the front of the bonnet, therefore the kerb and pavement; if you had it mounted off the dash itself you would lose this.
So pictures start at the camera mounted up by the mirror (on the passenger side) - along the headlining (no wires showing), down the "A" pillar - no wires showing, across the side of the dash (the wire shows here, but if on the "A" pillar you gently prise out the Airbag cover at the top, there is a screw underneath which loosens off the cover so you can get the wire behind the cover and further back along the dash so not much, if any shows here), then down the side of the dash by the side of the passenger door, under the glove box, back along the centre console and then finally plugging into the ciggie lighter - where yes there is wire showing, hence why I've decided to directly wire it into the fuse box, so will be rewiring down the drivers side similar to how I have done this, and the wire will hardly show.

(I've added the pictures as thumbnails, click on the first one and they will open full size)

Attachments

• IMG_6168.JPG
    IMG_6168.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_6169.JPG
    IMG_6169.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_6170.JPG
    IMG_6170.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_6171.JPG
    IMG_6171.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_6172.JPG
    IMG_6172.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_6174.JPG
    IMG_6174.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_6175.JPG
    IMG_6175.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_6176.JPG
    IMG_6176.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 240
I only can thank you for a very descriptive and informative post!! I think I will give it a go.. Although first I have to find a nice cam. Many thanks much appreciated !!!

You are very welcome. Good luck with your search for a cam. One thing you may want to consider and what is seemingly becoming the next stage of dash cams is a camera front and rear. Must admit I'm thinking about it, but its a fair wedge of cash to lay out for 2 cams.

I have one but am yet to fit it, I'm worried about it being a theft magnet.

Cruise-Cam.jpg

20160228_063253.jpg

More of a seat cam than a dash cam ??

Prob easily reversible tho for rear vision, could even have two side by side !

Reactions: pburv and gamegenie
I have one but am yet to fit it, I'm worried about it being a theft magnet.

Can see where you are coming from steeve, but IMO so many people have them these days, plus second hand they probably are not worth much, that I don't think they are worth stealing (scrotes excepted who will steal anything of course!).

It's a risk I'll take, as having one for just when I'm in the car with some of the driving you see, to me makes it worthwhile.

Anyone could recommend a dash cam for my Audi a3 8v? I heard Mio dash cams are quite good and not v expensive also.

Also does anyone know if the 12v cigarette plug has constant power? Will it drain the battery leaving it on?

Many thanks

A lot of people on here like the Blackvue. Personally I use a RAC 05 which includes the pocketgpsworld speed camera database and can warn as you approach both fixed cameras and common mobile camera sites. It also has an option for 21:9 aspect ratio video so less sky and bonnet in the video.

The 12v from the cigarette lighter is switched with the ignition but you can move the fuse up one notch and make it permanently live.

An excellent install guide for the Blackvue and info on fuses from @cemerson is here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/How-I-Installed-My-Blackvue-DR550GW-2CH.213314/

John.

More of a seat cam than a dash cam ??

Prob easily reversible tho for rear vision, could even have two side by side !
Looks like something George Lucas or Spielberg uses on set....lol:whistle2:

Reactions: Rob2k68
Hello guys I managed to install my new blackvue 380g HD dashcam.. I made a test and seems quite dark.. What settings u got guys on brightness? Also where exactly have u placed the cam? As I have it just v close to my roof black lining but I can see the reflection of the centre console and the mirror bracket :(...

Many thanks
PS next the magic pro.. Probably now next week..