Dash Cams, can they work against yourself in certain situations.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A bit of a question RE dash cams really.

I bought one a few years ago as it seemed like a plan at the time, used it for a few weeks then just removed it.
My insurance company has never reduced my premium based on one being fitted either.
I agree they can have uses in certain situations but can they also work against the driver of the car fitted with one?
I'm considering refitting it but I'm just a bit weary they can be used negatively against the driver.
Any thoughts chaps.
To date, I've not encountered a situation where I needed the footage from one etc, but with more idiots in car parks and passing on narrow roads etc that may change.

Yes they can. Police can seize them as evidence if called to an incident and on footage review anything untoward could incriminate yourself.

Reactions: Simon and Charlie Farley
Lots of cameras have gps speed indicated in the video like my thinkware so best to turn that off.

Reactions: JohnM100
I disable the GPS on mine so no speed readout. I wouldn't be without mine though, been reversed into twice where they later denied but dashcam won me the claim on both counts.

Just the other day, had my whole family in the car...

Reactions: Gazwould
****** Stuttgart preface lift W204 350 CDI , probably got a go faster stick on AMG badge on the back .

They do remap well though !

Mercedes C350 CDI Stage 1

Thanks for the feedback chaps, always appreciated.

Just been in the loft to trackdown the dashcam, it's a next base 312GW , still pretty well as a new condition.
I was going to refit it tomorrow but I would appear to be missing the hardwire lead.
I've seen them at £20 but then it struck me, is it worth refitting this one as it's a few years old now, has technology moved on massive amount with these things.

I wouldn't be without one now, my 50 quid next base resolved my case/claim with fault entirely blamed on OP. Had an incident where me and another car merely touched at crawl speed and the cheeky bar steward tried claiming for whiplash and this damage to his car which had been there for years

When he realised it was all being filmed he soon went quiet!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220417-084712_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220417-084712_Gallery.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: alanyork
Also curious about the function that is supposed to cover your car if it gets knocked whilst left locked up unattended etc.
How can that be any real use then?
If for example, I refit my 312gw which has the function, it's pointing forwards and some plank wacks the side out of view, sort of defeats the object a bit, well any knock around the car that is out of forwarding view won't be filmed.

Also curious about the function that is supposed to cover your car if it gets knocked whilst left locked up unattended etc.
How can that be any real use then?
If for example, I refit my 312gw which has the function, it's pointing forwards and some plank wacks the side out of view, sort of defeats the object a bit, well any knock around the car that is out of forwarding view won't be filmed.
If it’s not caught on cam then it’s a case of suck it up and deal with it yourself. Suppose it’s better than having nothing, at least you got one side covered.
I have front and rear but like you said if someone goes into the side I’m never gonna catch them.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Agreed it won’t cover a side impact but it may provide context if moving e.g. sensible driving behaviour, evidence of a give way sign or white line layout. I’m not in that biz so don’t know how much that could sway a fault assessment though.

I may be off base here, but if you have 2 physical cameras to mount in the car, could you not get 360 degree coverage by placing them into the corners, with a bias to the front or back in the shot’s view? If you’re talking single devices with front and rear lenses, please ignore the above

Reactions: Triggerfish