Dashboard illumination

joe_hustler

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys

I have an A3 2.0 TDI (2007) and I sometimes find that during the day when I drive into a dark tunnel the dashboard sometimes lights up and sometimes it doesnt. I dont have the automatic light function and neither do I have the lights on during the day. Its just something that happens randomly. Can anyone help and explain
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412838566613945

The speedo has a light sensor near the 160 mark. If you catch the angle right, you can see a faint circle about 5mm across.

They can be altered to be on all the time if you wish with VCDS

The speedo has a light sensor near the 160 mark. If you catch the angle right, you can see a faint circle about 5mm across.
Aha! I thought that was a 'HOLY CRAP! You're going too fast!' warning light :onthego:

if you don't have auto lights the sensor will light up the instrument cluster as you go into a tunnel and then it will switch it off again to prompt you to switch the light on manually. it used to really **** me off so i coded it to always be on... that was before i retrofitted the auto lights.

How do I code it to be on all the time. Is it something that can be done at home with relative ease?

Ash187, can you specify where is found the menu to activate this light permanently? Thank you!

• Click on '17-Instruments'
  • When you go into this module, it will scan for fault codes and go straight to a fault code screen. It should say 'No Fault Codes Found'. Click the 'Done, go back' button to get to the main screen for this module.
  • Click 'Recode - 07'
  • Make note of your original coding.
  • Hover over the code with the mouse pointer, and it will show a pop-up balloon with information about the various digits of the code. It may or may not explain the rightmost digit.
  • One of the digits (the one fartherest to the right) is for the instrument cluster backlighting configuration. It's originally set at '3' (for the US models). You will change it to '4' (Pointers and scales ON, with Dimming Feature). For example, change 0004203 to 0004204.
  • Change this value in 'Software Coding___'
  • Click 'Do It!'
  • Click 'Close Controller, Go Back'

Reactions: Ash187