Dashcam install

craigomills

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone needs this but I hardwired my dashcam today and after a bit of grief trying to find a switched live I used this one in the left hand side of the passenger footwell. All of the fuses at the left of the dashboard are all perm live so not what I wanted to use.

Hope someone finds it useful...
66a695fb6cdb155503eda60b99460530.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Are you my soulmate, Craig? I had the exact same struggle as you today when I hardwired mine this morning.

I ended up using a different fuse than you for the switched supply, I still need to double checked it is in fact switched. I connected my switched connection to “Brake Light Sensor” in the top row of fuses as I know the brake lights don’t work when ignition is off.

I used the Blackvue Power Magic Pro which also has the connection for constant power supply to run in parking mode.

just out of curiosity where did you connect the ground (negative) cable?

Thanks

Quite possibly mate. I had a right faff with mine. I used the bolt as in the picture below that I found on another site.
91faca5457156e8883eec0ae8da7a72d.jpg

I used the same bolt there for the negative! Haha

The switched fuse I tapped into was not switched in the end, so I am very grateful for you posting this as it was a quick change over without messing around any further and now it is working like a charm!

Reactions: craigomills
Thank you - this is mega helpful as I'm attempting to hardwire mine in today!
just a quick one though - did you run the wires down the A pillar? Does this come off easily as my wiring kit seems quite thick and I don't think I will be able to run it down without taking this trim off!

Any advice appreciated!
Cheers
Tom

I am a bit more lazy, has mine installed at Audi Monday.

My car is relatively new so they did it for free.

out of curiosity which fuse did you use for perm live?

Not sure if anyone needs this but I hardwired my dashcam today and after a bit of grief trying to find a switched live I used this one in the left hand side of the passenger footwell. All of the fuses at the left of the dashboard are all perm live so not what I wanted to use.

I went with Fuse E8 in the end and it works a treat as well. Just glad I got my dash cam wired in eventually, so thanks for the post.

Just done this on my 2023 A7. As it happens all the fuse sockets in the same block are all switched live.