Dashcam position

Dippy

Reaction score
I have bought a Thinkware F750 and now need to decide exactly where to mount it. Because I have lane assist with the camera at the front of the rear view mirror 'pod' I can't put it in the 'ideal' position in the centre of the windscreen. So I have three choices:
1) To the right of the 'pod' so that it is mostly hidden behind the right hand half of the rear view mirror
2) Right at the top of the windscreen on the right of the 'pod' (but above the mirror)
3) Right at the top of the windscreen on the left of the 'pod' (but above the mirror)

To help me I'd like some opinions from people with dashcams because I want do decide on position based on 'living' with it rather than just what I think now.

In terms of aesthetics #1 is least obvious except that the cables will be more visible. Then #3 because its on the passenger side, and #2 most obvious, but it will be high up so I imagine that I'll just get used to it. The question is how much irritation is the positioning of a dashcam whilst driving? Do you eventually forget about it or is it always 'in your face?'

More importantly is the video coverage of course. #1 has the camera closest to the centre of the windscreen so I assume that this is the ideal place. In #3 the video is clearly shifted towards the nearside and that concerns me. Having more view of the pavement or verge is not great if I lose view of the offside part of the road? So #2 might seem the best compromise since the lens on the left so the shift away from centre is not so much and I think getting a bigger view of the offside part of the road is good. However here the mirror and 'pod' are partly visible. When I angle the camera so that the front of the bonnet is only just visible in the video, the edge of the mirror is no longer in it. However the edge of the 'pod' is always visible in the lower left of the video.

#1 seems to be the most sensible place but I'm less keen on the aesthetics. Plus I'd need to position is just right to make sure that the mirror can be adjusted. Choosing #2 or #3 will be a compromise hence I'd like to get opinions from dashcam users who may have had to make a similar choice.

Thanks in advance.

I've just got the same camera. I'm going to put mine to the right of the mirror and have already run the cable behind the mirror casing.

Thanks Phil. I had a few replies to my identical posting on A5OC and one thing I'm becoming aware of is that my mirror and pod is a lot bigger than on other cars. I just looked at the interior view of the A3 on the Audi website and can see why you can easily choose that position. I think I have no choice but to put mine right at the top of the windscreen and accept a compromise: On the left I'll have to leave a gap so that the unit can slide off the mount, so the lens will be quite a way from the centre; on the right the lens position will be closer to the centre but there will be a 'shadow' in the video from the mirror pod.

Out of interest what do you plan to do about the LEDs on the front? When I tested mine I saw that one LED was broken. I'm irritated about the idea of returning it when I just want to get it installed, and I'm actually wondering whether I want the LEDs on or not. I can't see much point in having them on when driving, and am split on the idea of having them respond to the camera mode when parked. On the one hand I can see that the LEDs will warn people that they are being recorded so they will be deterred from approaching the car, but on the other hand there are *****s about who might have the opposite attitude, see the LEDs and do criminal damage out of spite. I can't imagine getting anywhere with the police these days about damage in a car park even if the criminals show their faces on the video clip.

I'm going to put mine under the mirror so I can still get the card out and the lens is almost central.
I've run the power and rear camera cable across the top and into the mirror housing. I cut a bit of the plastic seal of where the cable exits.
Once it's fitted I will put some photos up.

Thanks Phil, your comments are really useful to me. I've had another look and I'm thinking of choosing my #1 position after all. I will indeed be interested in your photos if you install yours before mine.

Are you using cable extensions for your rear camera. I have ordered this one for the main camera side and this one for the rear camera. The angled connector allows the cabling to be tidier.

Thanks.
I've only gone as far as running the cables at the moment.
The power and link cables for the front camera are going to be hidden within the mirror housing. The rear is coming out from behind the trim and into the rear camera. Haven't looked at any other cables at the moment.

Just looked at the cable for the rear. Do like it and think it will make a nicer installation, have you tested it and checked it works ok?

Just looked at the cable for the rear. Do like it and think it will make a nicer installation, have you tested it and checked it works ok?

Yes I tested the rear (shorter one) it and it definitely works. I bought a cable from Amazon for the front and it did not work so am happy that Amazon have such a good returns policy. I haven't got the one from Hiniko yet, but Niko assures me that it will, and that it is 4-wire. That's the main problem - most of these cables are intended to be used by people charging tablets and smartphones so are only 2-wire for the power.

However ironically I may not use the longer cable for the front after all. Now that I plan to fit it 'behind' the right hand side of the rear view mirror, I need to run the cables further, and to the left, rather than just straight up into the headlining as if fitted to the top of the windscreen. So I'm thinking of running the cables up from the side of the camera, over the top (so that the cables sit between the camera and the windscreen) and then through the gap between the camera and the mount, and then over to the rear view mirror pod. This means that the same shorter cable that I have for the rear camera is also suitable for the front camera. So I have ordered a second cable. I can then decide between the two when I actually install it.

What car are you installing your camera into?
Mines a 2013 A3. I've done the wiring so if you need any help let me know.
Do you have any photos?

I'm planning to test fit mine on Friday (it's meant robe a Christmas present) so can't fit it until the 25th

What car are you installing your camera into?
The one in my sig ;)

I have bench-tested mine (hence I discovered the faulty LED on the front) and also trialled it by strapping it to the passenger sun visor. This has helped me make the decision on placement: The video coverage is the most important thing, and for me the parking function is essential so I really want the lens to be central so that I get the best balance of views to the right and left. If it wasn't for that I'd have probably installed it on the left and I think that would have been a mistake.

Although there may be some commonality between the '3 and the '5 I'm fairly confident on doing the wiring (and I have an electronics background). The only tricky bit is going to be running the cable to the rear camera and I'm going to try running it directly inside the headlining by using a set of cable-pullers. I have advice that this is possible from the tailgate cable grommet to the passenger door trim so I think it should be possible to reach the front and the space above my interior lights/homelink module. However the reason I bought a Thinkware F750 instead of a Blackvue 650 is that I have heard so many reports that the Blackvue rear camera and/or cable interferes with DAB reception. So I might trial the rear camera too and somehow temporarily hook up the cable to check that before doing the full installation.

Hi.
I'm viewing on my I-Pad/I-Phone so can't see your Sig ;-)
I have taken the permanent 12v from the central looking fuse and the switched 12v from the Cig lighter fuse.

I've ran the cable along the headlining near the door seals and to the rear tailgate wiring grommet. At this point I removed the grommet's and used a draw wire to pul the cable through.

I went for the F750 over the 650 Blackvue for the same reason that I didn't want to loose DAB, and I have read that the Thinkware is a better camera for parking mode, and the same as you this is the most important part of the camera for me.

Thanks Phil