Dashcam Recommendations

I have aThinkware 770 with a Samsung 128Gb card and all the 'useless' extras turned off. It works faultlessly and is tucked behind and to the left of the rear view mirror. You hardly notice it. Important when Mr MOT man fails you for obstruction on the windscreen, like they did with my old tax disc being on the screen.
The only issue is the stop/start doesn't cut in very often as it records a lot on parking mode and I have the cut off voltage set at 12v. So I either need to do more miles to keep the battery topped up or buy a Cellink B (expensive).

Install an anypower tpower ups battery. solved my battery drain issue
http://blackvueshop.co.uk/product/a...-for-blackvue-car-cameras-and-other-dashcams/

I have aThinkware 770 with a Samsung 128Gb card and all the 'useless' extras turned off. It works faultlessly and is tucked behind and to the left of the rear view mirror. You hardly notice it. Important when Mr MOT man fails you for obstruction on the windscreen, like they did with my old tax disc being on the screen.
The only issue is the stop/start doesn't cut in very often as it records a lot on parking mode and I have the cut off voltage set at 12v. So I either need to do more miles to keep the battery topped up or buy a Cellink B (expensive).

interesting the samsung 128gb cards work as my samsung 64gb reported a failure after 2 days. Maybe a duff card,, so itll go back to Amazon.

Presume the 128gb will work on the 750 too and mybe the 350

Might try it

Sadly the Android app for the Thinkware 770 (which seems to be a requirement to configure it if you have an Android phone) has an appalling rating on Google Play which, if the app is that bad, rather qualifies out what otherwise looks like a good product :-(

Its not perfect but its the best dashcam app out there. Blackvue is far worse imo, though the 2nd best

I have the 650-2ch and I agree with your points above. The quality is actually really poor for its price and this is mainly because they reduced the bit rate to accommodate the cloud service, which is useless....

If I was buying again I would go with the Thinkware 750.

That sounds like Blackvue. They are the opposite to Apple. So, they had a decent product which they dont bother to update and now they are slowly making it worse. Thats why i ditched Blackvue a few years ago. then, they were the iphone of car dashcams. Decent build and built to last, half decent viewing software and decent features. Just the firmware to change options and the parking mode (oddly a seperate device) was a bit clunky.

Dashcams like those from Thinkware wipe the floor with the Blackvues in every dept except size. The Thinkwares are alot bigger but the way they site means you see little footprint from the outside.

Ah awesome thanks for the reply mate. Nice to see someone happy with the service. Did you watch them hardwire it?how did they do it? i half expected a spotty teenager to come out and plug the cam in the cig lighter and walk off!! It seems a really good deal to be honest. Just found this for £79 all in. Got to be worth a try.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-212-dash-cam-with-fitting-bundle

may as well set fire to £79. Its ok for the money but its limited and has a huge and hideous suction holder. laughable, something from the 90s

Reactions: Ormesome
may as well set fire to £79. Its ok for the money but its limited and has a huge and hideous suction holder. laughable, something from the 90s

haha ok thanks mate! ill pop in to halfords and see what they have design wise! :)

I think the mistake some people make is either buying non-genuine cards or buying the fastest and highest spec ones. This is the one I've been using over the last 6 months and it's been fine. Just remember to format regularly or when prompted to do so by the Thinkware Dashcam:

"Samsung Memory 128 GB EVO Plus MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 Memory Card"

I think the mistake some people make is either buying non-genuine cards or buying the fastest and highest spec ones. This is the one I've been using over the last 6 months and it's been fine. Just remember to format regularly or when prompted to do so by the Thinkware Dashcam:

"Samsung Memory 128 GB EVO Plus MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 Memory Card"

i bought the same card but 64gb version from Amazon (not a seller). had problems so returned it. sandisk one is fine. agree you just need a uhs-1 one thats half decent but fastest not needed

Newest dashcam thread so:

Today: Silly woman just pulls out!

Cheap and cheerful £50 Nextbase here which I hard wired into my 8V today. It's the same one I used in my previous 8P and it's more than fit for for purpose. It reads number plates clearly both night and day and that is all that matters for a dash cam.

Not sure I'd want to spend more than that tbh, having a dash cam with the latest high res recording is all well and good if you want to see sharply defined footage but if a £50 cam can record the most important detail clearly (number plates) why bother spending any more?

Maybe I am missing the point?

Cheap and cheerful £50 Nextbase here which I hard wired into my 8V today. It's the same one I used in my previous 8P and it's more than fit for for purpose. It reads number plates clearly both night and day and that is all that matters for a dash cam.

Not sure I'd want to spend more than that tbh, having a dash cam with the latest high res recording is all well and good if you want to see sharply defined footage but if a £50 cam can record the most important detail clearly (number plates) why bother spending any more?

Maybe I am missing the point?
parking mode, second camera, no ugly suction pad so you can install and forget, picture quality eg night time where cameras like the thinkware excel, decent support, build quality, size. Next base build quality is quite poor. I had the highly rated mini 802 which was cheap at 40.00 and had pretty good pic quality but the build quality let it down and it had zero support

parking mode, second camera, no ugly suction pad so you can install and forget, picture quality eg night time where cameras like the thinkware excel, decent support, build quality, size. Next base build quality is quite poor. I had the highly rated mini 802 which was cheap at 40.00 and had pretty good pic quality but the build quality let it down and it had zero support

My £50 effort has parking mode and the suction pad is the size of a 10 pence piece so pretty small. I haven't noticed anything wrong with its build quality at all, it worked flawlessly in my previous 8P.

I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to spend £££'s on a dash cam, but when you think about it the ONLY thing that's important is that it captures the point of collision and if the offending car is at the right angle it's number plate. Mine does both more than adequately.

Reactions: Bells and Audi Bairn
My father's Nextbase 512G
nextbase_512g_ultra.jpg

has fallen down about four times now , I would never pick one with a suction cup .

There was a thread a couple of months ago that discussed a dash cam that fitted under the rear view mirror and replaced the original trim with a specially made piece for the A3 so was hardly noticeable.
I tried a search but can't find it now. Has anyone fitted one of these or still has the ebay link?

I've just had a thinkware F770 installed from avrmobiles, 2channel, £336 fitted by a mobile engineer.

Initial thoughts are I'm very pleased with it.

Reactions: Dunedin