Facelift Dashcam?

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
What is the current thinking about Dashcams. Which model to members think is the best and can one be fitted behind the rear-view mirror.

Reactions: TDI-line and Audi Bairn
What is the current thinking about Dashcams. Which model to members think is the best and can one be fitted behind the rear-view mirror.

I have a Thinkware D750 front and rear camera setup. There is also the Blackvue both can be hardwired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I think front and rear is a bit overkill IMO.

I'm looking at a NextBase 412GW at the moment as they are 1440P. I previous had a Mini 0806 which had good reviews at the time but they are poorly made and over-complicated. Half the features didn't work properly on it (such as parking mode). It recorded in a decent resolution though and had a polarising filter which was good.

The Blackvue's may be a good product but given that in car camera technology is rapidly changing I don't think its really worth the increase cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gazwould
Blackpoo and Stinkwear are a bandwagon and feature in multiple reviews , there are so many out there not widely publicsised , look and you will find and better.. 1440P is today .

I'm booked in to get one fitted next week. Think I'm leaning towards Blackvue but will make a decision on the day.

I had told myself I was definitely going front and rear but maybe would reconsider. Mainly would want the rear for when parked up in case someone prangs the rear end and ****** off!

Just annoying tbh. Why not just jump directly to 2160p (4k) rather than mess about with 1440p. Go pro and other action cameras have been able to record 4k for a long time. Storage is cheap enough for that not to be a excuse either. It's just a means to extract more money from punters with incremental resolution upgrades IMO.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrMal and Audi Bairn
I'm booked in to get one fitted next week. Think I'm leaning towards Blackvue but will make a decision on the day.

I had told myself I was definitely going front and rear but maybe would reconsider. Mainly would want the rear for when parked up in case someone prangs the rear end and ****** off!

Front is possibly more valuable in an accident I'd say, my brother had a claim go 50/50 as there were no witnesses, a front mounted dash cam (which he has now) would have saved that, my other brother also has a front mount on his TTS and recorder a woman reversing out of a space in to his car as he was driving along looking for a space.

Be interested in hearing if anyone has had experiences of dashcams with motion sensors for parking protection? Mine never worked in my Mini 0806. Effectively the camera remains in a low powered state after the vehicles ignition is turned off, then immediately starts recording the moment motion is detected in the hope the culprit is pulling away from the scene of the accident etc.

Be interested in hearing if anyone has had experiences of dashcams with motion sensors for parking protection? Mine never worked in my Mini 0806. Effectively the camera remains in a low powered state after the vehicles ignition is turned off, then immediately starts recording the moment motion is detected in the hope the culprit is pulling away from the scene of the accident etc.
This is what I intend on getting fitted next week!

I have a Thinkware D750 front and rear camera setup. There is also the Blackvue both can be hardwired.

I think you mean F750 - which has been superseded by the F770, which is what I have. It sticks out a few mm from my rear view mirror, but I don't really notice it at all. My old Blackvue actually stuck out more, despite being a smaller camera. I have it hard-wired in with a Cellink B battery to keep it powered during parking mode. The battery charges when the car is on, and powers the camera when the car is off.

I think you mean F750 - which has been superseded by the F770, which is what I have. It sticks out a few mm from my rear view mirror, but I don't really notice it at all. My old Blackvue actually stuck out more, despite being a smaller camera. I have it hard-wired in with a Cellink B battery to keep it powered during parking mode. The battery charges when the car is on, and powers the camera when the car is off.
Any chance of a photo of the camera mounted on the windscreen

Just annoying tbh. Why not just jump directly to 2160p (4k) rather than mess about with 1440p. Go pro and other action cameras have been able to record 4k for a long time. Storage is cheap enough for that not to be a excuse either. It's just a means to extract more money from punters with incremental resolution upgrades IMO.
That's my thinking. I got a Thieye t5e camera. Full 4k. Nice and compact. Works as a dash cam; switches on and off with the ignition. Automatically deletes the old stuff when the card is full.

I took it out of the waterproof case, and installed it upside down from a tripod mount, attached behind the RV mirror.

Only problem is that the firmware on this camera is really not up to the job. The camera came with the 2nd revision of the firmware which was useless, constant crashes and the camera resets to factory defaults every time it turned on. The updated firmware from the web site was even worse, constantly losing time/date and corrupting videos/not recording. In the end, I found the v1 of the firmware on another forum, and it is better (the camera is actually now usable) - although still very glitchy.

It might be worth trying a camera like the Thieye i60 or the SJcam sj7 star, if you want to go this way. You may have to get them from a chinese seller like aliexpress or gearbest, as only thieye have a UK agent. However, I haven't tested these and have no idea how well they work. The sjcam sj7 star looks to have better image quality than the thieye t5e in some videos, so it might be worth a look.

Example video (untouched direct from camera): https://www.dropbox.com/s/codwvpvbg0i9k5q/Fragment of 154015AA (10) (15-43-51 - 15-44-06).MP4?dl=0

Reactions: EmmaJ
Which BlackVue camera did you have before and what did you think of it. The BlackVue range quite appeals as I would be able to install it behind the rear-view mirror and out of site. I'm don't want a screen, I would much rather download any files I wanted to keep using WiFi.

I had the DR550GW-2CH before. It was OK, worked fine mostly, but the software on the Thinkware is better IMO.

I have a Waylens camera.... pricey, but a very cool bit of kit. Worth coo g a bit of research on them

Mines the older version D750. Had it several years now and never had a problem with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got a MiVue 698 Dual dashcam. Both record in 1080p and the video quality of both cameras IMO is great and clear enough during day time or night time. I've got the front camera tucked behind the rear view mirror, hardwired in by the guys at my local dealer while it was in for a service. And having the speed camera warnings from the camera is a nice little feature aswell. Haven't got the rear camera fitted though as I'm intending on getting a new car soon so it will be hardwired in to that when/if the time comes.

None of the cameras to my knowledge are yet capable of running in a parking mode for any considerable length of time without cutting off due to depleting your battery. For those of us like me who may go days without driving (work from home, and walk locally) this is show stopper. I have to accept parking mode won't 'last', and will end up leaving my car battery in low state of charge, which is not good for its longevity. There are some external battery solutions, but these only last a relatively short time too.

The technology needs to improve for dashcams for me.

Mines the older version D750. Had it several years now and never had a problem with it.

Strange, can't find any mention of it online!

@h5djr, photos below

20170427 170111
20170427 170115
20170427 170140
20170427 170137

Strange, can't find any mention of it online!

@h5djr,

Thanks very much for the photos. Looks a very neat installation. Definitely a camera to consider. I read quite a number of good reviews.

Just google best dash cam and compare with comments on here. Front and rear is not over kill imo because that's the way we are going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I'd post on this thread as it's the most recent rather than starting a new thread. I've had a search through the forum to look at a few peoples guides but wanted to ask peoples opinions on routing the dash cam cable through the A Pillar and specifically avoiding the airbag.

I hadn't bothered to install my dash cam in my current A3 but I may install it in my S3 when it arrives. I've added a couple of pictures after taking a look today, for anyone who has installed their own dash cams would it be alright to just push the cable into the gap between then two pieces of trim or should it be routed properly through the airbag section? I gather there's a bolt underneath the airbag cover which you can loosen to peel back the trim I'm just a bit concerned about pulling bits apart and causing some damage especially when an airbag is involved :whistle2:

IMG 7070IMG 7066

If you pull out the plastic airbag tab (lever it out with something plastic), it should enable you to unclip the pillar. It's very very stiff though and takes quite a bit of effort. There's no bolt to undo. Once you have pulled back the A pillar enough (you may need to unclip the next clip down too), you should have enough room to pass the cables behind the airbags, which is what I've done on both my installs so far. I imagine the airbags would break the cable straight away, but there's a risk they won't and will fail to work properly, so why take the chance?

To get the pillar out I had to put a hand round each edge at the top and really give it a good pull

If you've already routed the cable though, you will probably have some trouble, because you need to be able to poke the end behind the airbag and pull the cable through...

Reactions: Bells
I had the Blackvue DR650s-2CH fitted today. Will try and remember to take some pics of how it looks tomorrow. So far I'm happy with it, seems simple to use and the picture quality looks good. Not sure how the parking feature will turn out, shall keep you updated!

Dave, did you get any camera's fitted, and if so, could you recommend a place to get them fitted locally?

Dave, did you get any camera's fitted, and if so, could you recommend a place to get them fitted locally?
I've not done anything yet. I cannot decide if I want a dashcam or not, I did contact Quattro Tech in St Ives (01480 464 869) and they said they would be quite happy to fit one for me.

Reactions: TDI-line
I'd highly recommend getting one fitted,I got one fitted about a month ago and last week I was involved in a non fault accident,already posted the pics up under the title "RAGEING"
At first the guy tried to say it wasn't his fault but you should of seen his face when I showed him the video of the incident there an then on my phone.
It payed for itself there an then.
Also getting one fitted in the misses car to now cause of this.

Reactions: Leebroath, TDI-line, AudiNutta and 1 other person
I'd highly recommend getting one fitted,I got one fitted about a month ago and last week I was involved in a non fault accident,already posted the pics up under the title "RAGEING"
At first the guy tried to say it wasn't his fault but you should of seen his face when I showed him the video of the incident there an then on my phone.
It payed for itself there an then.
Also getting one fitted in the misses car to now cause of this.

We have 3 cars, all have a dashcam. My girlfriends doesn't, typical because she is the one that stuffed it up in December and landed the car between two central res barriers coming off a roundabout (yep we still don't know how she did it).

These days there are too many idiots on the road and the only evidence that can never be voided is video evidence, something that cannot change and is a must.

Reactions: TDI-line
I've not done anything yet. I cannot decide if I want a dashcam or not, I did contact Quattro Tech in St Ives (01480 464 869) and they said they would be quite happy to fit one for me.

Thanks Dave, i may check them out as there local, and Mrs TDI-line works in St Ives, with the car.

You could always buy this from us here in Australia.... once it supports A/S3.
Audi OEM dash cam...
http://www.caradvice.com.au/546841/...obile-app-also-features-find-my-car-function/

That does look nice also, had a quick google, and only looks like 720p.

Last edited: