Dashcam

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Does anyone who knows these things well, know if there is a good quality dashcam with GPS connectivity that sends its video image direct to an iphone for immediate playback if required - even if it overwrites the video every few minutes?

I have the DDPai M6 Plus. It's one of those chinese dashcams but Techmoan (a highly rated dashcam reviewer) rated it as one of the best value for money. It records in 2K / 1440P at 30 FPS, or 720p at 60 FPS I think. Really wide angle and it broadcasts a WiFi signal that you can connect to and download saved clips from.

I've had it for a couple of years now and it's stood up to the test of time. Bit of a bargain at £100 really and doesn't have one of those huge, distracting screens.

Thanks for jumping in! This could be near what I want, if not exactly what I want - does it have GPS connectivity? And I presume it connect to the car electrics?

Let me explain why I want this. First though, you need to know the French Gendarmes are basically the dregs from schools - psychopaths, those dropped on their head at birth and the general thick bunch. The dregs. Everyone puts up with it and just avoids confrontation at all costs for an easy life. It is not uncommon to see two of these Neanderthals driving down a road with a 110 limit at 100 with a pile of cars behind them not daring to overtake. I get fed up with it and set my CC to 110 and slowly overtake them. However this generally results in being stopped and when asked why, they just say 'it's our job'! Plus I think I am being targeted by our locals because I argue with them.

I ahve a quality dashcam in the front with GPS (is Street Guardian a quality camera?) for insurance purposes, but only an old cheapo in the back that has poor image anyway. When I am stopped for no reason, it would be cool to flip open the iphone and show them the previous few minutes of my speed up to and at the point they flick on their stupid blue light, and argue my case of being a target.

So the camera and iphone need to in contact all the time and the iphone raedy for instant playback. Do you think this DDpai can do this, but importantly with a time, date and speed stamp on the image`?

I did not appreciate your attachment was a review. Just watched it, and yes, technically looks the job! I just need to establish if and how the camera can do a few minutes real time video recording.

Thanks for jumping in! This could be near what I want, if not exactly what I want - does it have GPS connectivity? And I presume it connect to the car electrics?

Let me explain why I want this. First though, you need to know the French Gendarmes are basically the dregs from schools - psychopaths, those dropped on their head at birth and the general thick bunch. The dregs. Everyone puts up with it and just avoids confrontation at all costs for an easy life. It is not uncommon to see two of these Neanderthals driving down a road with a 110 limit at 100 with a pile of cars behind them not daring to overtake. I get fed up with it and set my CC to 110 and slowly overtake them. However this generally results in being stopped and when asked why, they just say 'it's our job'! Plus I think I am being targeted by our locals because I argue with them.

I ahve a quality dashcam in the front with GPS (is Street Guardian a quality camera?) for insurance purposes, but only an old cheapo in the back that has poor image anyway. When I am stopped for no reason, it would be cool to flip open the iphone and show them the previous few minutes of my speed up to and at the point they flick on their stupid blue light, and argue my case of being a target.

So the camera and iphone need to in contact all the time and the iphone raedy for instant playback. Do you think this DDpai can do this, but importantly with a time, date and speed stamp on the image`?

You can show or hide your speed and the image is timestamped. In all honesty I am not sure if you can scrub back in time for instant playback but I'll have a check later for you.

But you do get a little button with the dashcam that you can place anywhere in the car and it will save the last 2 minutes of footage if configured to do so when pressed, so what you could do when you see the flashing blues is to press that button and then you can show them the previous 2 minutes of footage when it gets downloaded to your phone after connecting to the WiFi signal and opening the app.

It does have GPS functionality and will track your journeys and average speed.

Does anyone who knows these things well, know if there is a good quality dashcam with GPS connectivity that sends its video image direct to an iphone for immediate playback if required - even if it overwrites the video every few minutes?

I did quite a bit of research on the leading dash cams and trialed a few and concluded that the newly released ‘2ch Blackvue DR900s’ takes the crown in just about every aspect. It has GPS and you can view all saved footage on demand from your phone/computer either remotely over the internet or direct Wi-F. It’s been available since May this year and you may notice a few negative reviews from users primarily stating compatibility issues with Android phones, but I think this is undeserved as from my own experience over the last couple of months with two difference Android phones, everything works flawlessly! There is also no DAB interference whatsoever as reported with many previous Blackvue models and so no need to use ferrite cores.

As far as I’m aware, it’s the first and only UHD 4K dash cam available, (be careful of some China branded ones that claim to be 4K but are not according to people who have bought them). There is the option to record in various video formats, including 1080p 60fps, but when set to record at the highest definition, 4K extreme, the clarity and the amount of detail in the video is astounding and surpassed my expectations. Most HD cams are fine and good at capturing important things like number plates but this 4K camera takes it to the next level that even whilst driving it will capture faces of other road users so there won’t be a question like who was driving. To really benefit from 4K you need to view the recordings on a 4K monitor, but even on a standard display, the difference between a HD cam and 4K is night and day.

The camera supports parking mode, not many dash cams do and I personally think one without is almost pointless since just as much can happen whilst the car is parked as when driving, I’d say more so with RS cars. Until very recently, the only way to safely power the dash cam without the risk of completely discharging the car battery would have been via external battery pack, which are bulky/expensive or using the Blackvue Power Magic Pro that requires hardwiring/taping a car fuse and going by the reviews on Amazon appears to be woeful when it comes to operation/reliability. Now there’s an easier way, you can power the camera via the cars OBD port using the ‘Conecta for Blackvue dash cams’ available at Halfords & Amazon for just £20 (half the price of the Magic Pro) and makes installation a doddle done in next to no time! Like the Magic Pro it has battery discharge protection and a switch if you only want the dash cam to power with the engine on. It only has pins to draw power from the OBD port and does have any data connections so you do not have to worry about it communicating with the cars ECU and messing anything up. It doesn’t take up space like the battery pack/Magic Pro options that you would typically mount in the glove compartment and with the OBD port being under the dash in the driver’s footwell, it remains well hidden out of normal view and makes it very easy to hide all the cables on just the driver side behind the dashboard/A pillar trim up to the headlining. I don’t know why they didn’t come up with this simpler and more effective way sooner!

The one thing I love the most and which I use almost daily, is the live view over the cloud, the Blackvue DR900S & DR750S are the only dash cams currently on the market that are equipped with this feature, some may say it’s a gimmick, but far from it! To be able to see & hear (has built in 2 way mic/speaker too) what’s happening within the vicinity of your car from both the front and back in real time, from almost anywhere & anytime, directly on my phone, gives me a lot of peace of mind when I’ve left the car parked somewhere it might get a lot of unwanted attention. You also receive immediate push notifications on your phone when motion/impact is detected by either camera, which works brilliantly and you can set the sensitivity to suit you. To use live view you need a Wi-Fi hotspot with internet data, the best way to achieve this is to get a cheap 4G phone (I use one bought from China for £40) that you can always keep in the car and on charge via one of the two USB ports underneath the armrest and then use it to tether a connection to the dash cam. Even better would be a 4G USB dongle which is more discreet but this would only work if anyone knows a way to enable the USB ports to remain live even with the ignition off? Then just remember to remove the dongle if you’re not going to drive the car for more than 2 days so not to drain the car battery too much. Get a free, Three data sim card from the below link …

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

The sim allows you 200MB free data every month (can also be used in 71 different countries including whole of Europe), I’ve used one for the last 2 years and there’s no catch, you do not need to pay for anything or be an existing customer and no billing information is required. Ignore the part on the order page where it only refers to ‘tablet’, it can be used in any sim device. 200MB isn’t a lot, but if you only use it for the remote live view that’s enough for around 25 mins worth of streaming video every month (uses approx. 8MB of data per a minute of compressed HD video) which is really all you need to occasionally check on the car when you’re out and about. If you think you’ll need more than this, just order multiple sims and swap them out when one runs out of data. Remember to set a Wi-Fi password on your phone so that no one piggybacks your data allowance. The dash cam allows you to configure two different Wi-Fi networks, which is great as you can set your home/work Wi-Fi as the priority hotspot (providing you have the range that you get with a decent router) so whenever your car is parked at home/work, the cam will automatically connect to that Wi-Fi and only use your fixed line broadband data and then revert back to mobile data when you drive away and out of range.

In my opinion it’s the best looking dash cam out there that does not look out of place in the Audi, the cylinder design makes it unobtrusive and means it can be neatly tucked behind the rear view mirror (photos below). The dash cam is expensive but you get what you pay for and unlike most other tech, these flagship cams won’t lose much value and years from now you could probably sell it for nearly what you’d pay for it new, especially as I don’t see dash cams getting much better than this!

As a side note, a small number of insurance companies reward you with a discount if you have a dash cam fitted, LV= being one of them, it reduced my premium by £70 and they further discount those with 'autonomous emergency braking' (part of the optional driver assistance pack) and even if you have parking sensors (which all of us do) this combined saved us another £180. I believe they introduced these specific discounts only last year and to my knowledge are the only insurance company to offer this, which for me was an added bonus as they were already by far the cheapest to insure the RS3 even before taking this into account. You have to get your quote directly on their website as the price comparison sites (except Confused.com and only for dash cam) do not yet have the option to specify this and so the quotes you receive will be higher. If you already have a policy with them and have either a dash cam/AEB but they are not aware of this maybe because you bought via price comparison site or used the change of car method to an existing policy which doesn’t ask these questions, then call them and they should be able to recalculate your premium and refund back any difference.
DSC 0833 1

DSC 0834

Reactions: teslaboy, illingworth22, Dan_DJT and 1 other person
Re the live feature you describe. Does/can the camera stream live video to an iphone where it can be stored - or at least a few minutes can be stored then loop overwritten?

Re the live feature you describe. Does/can the camera stream live video to an iphone where it can be stored - or at least a few minutes can be stored then loop overwritten?

I don't see any option in the Blackvue app that allows you to save real time video onto your phone but if the camera detects motion/impact even whilst you are in live view, then this will automatically be saved onto the memory card in the dash cam. With an Android phone (I’m sure it's the same with iPhone) if you press the power button on your phone briefly, it will display options to take screenshot and also record screen, so that way you will be able to save direct to your phone exactly what you see on your phone.

Thanks Nad. Another way I might get what I want is download the latest clip via wifi. Question to you and also Callump01 - how quickly can one initiate a transfer from the dashcam to an iphone?

Thanks Nad. Another way I might get what I want is download the latest clip via wifi. Question to you and also Callump01 - how quickly can one initiate a transfer from the dashcam to an iphone?

A 3 minute segment recorded in full HD 60fps takes about 10 second to transfer from cam to phone on 2.4Ghz (same time for 1 minute worth of 4K extreme), but if your phone support 5Ghz Wi-Fi like the camera, then the transfer is almost instant!

Reactions: illingworth22
This might actually do what I want - how much space would such a clip take up on an iphone do you reckon?

This might actually do what I want - how much space would such a clip take up on an iphone do you reckon?

Below is a approx calculation how much memory a 1 minute recording uses in various resolution/quality....

Front camera:

UHD 4K (extreme/highest) - 220MB

UHD 4K (highest) - 95MB

UHD 4K (normal) - 45MB

Full HD (highest) - 75MB

Full HD (normal) - 45MB

Rear camera:

Full HD (highest) - 75MB

Full HD (normal) - 45MB

You will notice that UHD 4K in normal mode uses the same capacity as a full HD normal mode, this is because of the way the 4K recordings are compressed.

If you are only likely to playback on your iPhone then normal HD resolution is all you need as you aren't going to benefit from the highest resolution which will use up more memory.

Blackvue also give 5GB of free cloud storage so you can upload videos and share with others.

Thanks - I need a new phone and will get a high storage model and go for this idea.

I have the thinkware f800 Pro, front and rear hardwired. Feature set pretty much the same as described above, although I haven't set up a wireless hot-spot in the car to test the remote access bits. From your wanted use case scenario I guess you would want to view the gps overlay on video for speed/position etc on your phone - although it is recorded and embedded to the video file on the f800 Pro I can't view the GPS data (speed) unless I view back on pc/mac using the thinkware viewer (free download). Playback streamed off to my phone only gives video playback, no GPS data that I have been able to find. Not sure if this is the same for blackvue, but worth checking. I'm very happy with the f800 Pro, especially the parking mode.

Thinkware don't have 'live view', Blackvue DR900s & DR750s are the only cameras to have this. You can however transfer saved recordings remotely, just like the Blackvue, but to create a Wi-Fi hotspot in your car just for this purpose seems wasted to me as it would take over 1GB of your mobile data allowance to transfer just 15 minutes worth of recording from either the front or back cam which would quickly get very expensive! GPS coordinates are available on the Blackvue viewer for all stored footage including live view (sample screenshots from the app below).

The Thinkware F800 is a very good dash cam, but apart from the above, what makes the Blackvue a bit better IMO is the ability to record at 60fps in Full HD, Thinkware only records at 30fps if used in conjunction with the rear camera. I also like the smaller and minimalistic design of the Blackvue, wider viewing angle and last but not least the software which is user friendly and modern compared to the Thinkware which has a poor layout & looks dated.

Ss1

Ss2

@nad Great and informative input, you do realise I will be spending again though? One question, could you put the Sim in to the car's sim slot and make the car a wifi hotspot? Unfortunately 3 don't offer a free sim here in the Republic of Ireland, but I do have rellies in the UK ;)

I also had a DDPai M6 Plus. I purchased from Amazon and after 9 months it failed. I contacted Amazon who refunded my money, because the company distributing it stopped reselling it because of reliability problems. It appears some will overheat and then fail.
Anyway, I researched a lot and eventually purchased a 2 channel Qvidia AR790 see...
https://incarcamerasystems.co.uk/pr...rgETs_vQr0rheuEZa0v7MPqolptl8DfIaAvzSEALw_wcB

It is fully configurable in every way, even down to setting up a parking mode that can be set on timer or battery voltage to prevent flattening the battery.

The company DOES also make a 4k version, but in my opinion, this is a bit overkill as I can see all the detail I want in HD.

I also had a DDPai M6 Plus. I purchased from Amazon and after 9 months it failed. I contacted Amazon who refunded my money, because the company distributing it stopped reselling it because of reliability problems. It appears some will overheat and then fail.
Anyway, I researched a lot and eventually purchased a 2 channel Qvidia AR790 see...
https://incarcamerasystems.co.uk/pr...rgETs_vQr0rheuEZa0v7MPqolptl8DfIaAvzSEALw_wcB

It is fully configurable in every way, even down to setting up a parking mode that can be set on timer or battery voltage to prevent flattening the battery.

The company DOES also make a 4k version, but in my opinion, this is a bit overkill as I can see all the detail I want in HD.

That honestly surprises me! Mine's been running daily without a hitch for over 2 years now.

I'm due an upgrade now anyway as I want a 2CH so will definitely look into that Qvidia AR790 a bit more.

That honestly surprises me! Mine's been running daily without a hitch for over 2 years now.
Well, I can only post facts. I was not the only one that had a failure.
I'm due an upgrade now anyway as I want a 2CH so will definitely look into that Qvidia AR790 a bit more.

It is not cheap, but you get what you pay for and if you read all the way through the documents you will see it has a lot going for it.

@nad Great and informative input, you do realise I will be spending again though? One question, could you put the Sim in to the car's sim slot and make the car a wifi hotspot? Unfortunately 3 don't offer a free sim here in the Republic of Ireland, but I do have rellies in the UK ;)

Sadly this method will not work as the Wi-Fi hotspot is only active with the ignition on. Would have been nice if Audi had implemented a feature that allows the Wi-Fi hotspot to remain active with the ignition off and a low voltage auto cut-off to prevent the car’s battery discharging to a critical level, but I guess they did not envisage a scenario this would be purposeful, after all, apart from accessing your dash cam remotely to ‘live view’ (available only recently on two Blackvue models) I can’t think of any other reason you would need this.

I regret to tell you that free data sim from Three might not be practical in your case as roaming is restricted to 30 days, after which the sim has to be used at least once within the UK before it can be used further abroad. The way around this is if you live near/travel to Northern Ireland you could lock onto one of Three’s UK mobile phone mast briefly and this would then reset the roaming. But you also need to be aware, Three have a policy that if roaming exceeds a total of 90 days within a 12 month period and they suspect you not to be a bona-fide UK resident which they can determine from your data usage in the UK/abroad, they can curtail/indefinitely suspend the service. You could order multiple sims (up to 4 per household) and this would be enough to keep you going as you would cycle each sim to be used a max 90 days within 12 months and by the time you come to the end of using the 4th sim, the first sim you used will be ready to be used for another 90 days over 12 months. Just make sure your relatives activate the sims in the UK before posting them out to you.

I agree that a 4K dash cam is overkill for the purpose it serves and as many have said, insurance companies won’t give a hoot if footage is in 4K or low res, only matters that it's clear enough to determine the guilt of a third party. I do however enjoy watching lot of my journeys recorded in 4K and often marvel some of the breathtaking scenery whilst driving in Scotland which cannot be fully appreciated when focusing on driving. If 4K was the only thing the Blackvue DR900s had going for it, I would not buy it, but the deal breaker for me it’s the only dash cam available to buy that has ‘remote live view’ which really appealed to me and happy to pay a premium to get this. The cheaper HD DR750s also supports this and would have sufficed but was put off by all the negatives it received causing interference with the DAB reception. The DR900s on the other hand doesn’t, so this for me was the obvious choice. I know live view won’t be important to most people and for my old A3 I use a cheap cam just with the basics, but with the RS3 I wanted extra peace of mind and to an extent the DR900s gives you this more than any other dash cam. The camera has already paid for itself many times over by saving me from a potentially costly repair bill when I was alerted & witnessed on the live view someone making a foolish attempt to parallel park between my car that would have inevitably ended in them hitting it if I hadn’t been made aware and given the chance to stop their stupid manoeuvre, in situations like this you will be so thankful that you have it.

I see that the Qvia AR790 retails at £330, only £50 less than the Blackvue DR900’s-2ch which has better offerings and very much worth the extra outlay. Also remember, if you want to hardwire the camera you no longer need to tap into the car’s fuse box (the AR790 you do?) and installation can be done by anyone that is competent at changing a light bulb. Took me around 40 minutes to neatly install both front/rear cam and only required the A pillar trim to be removed (for the saloon, hatchback will require more work/time).

@nad
You obviously missed the point of hardwiring of the AR790 2 channel dash cam into the car and having it powered from a permanent live! I will leave you to work out the reason you would need to do that.

Last edited:
@nad
You obviously missed the point of hardwiring of the AR790 2 channel dash cam into the car and having it powered from a permanent live! I will leave you to work out the reason you would need to do that.

Not missed the point, it is obvious why you need to hardwire the cam (like any other) if you want to fully benefit from the ability of such things like parking mode. I was just questioning there probably isn’t an alternative/simpler way for the Qvia to get continuous power other than hardwire fuse tap like there is now with the Blackvue cams by using this OBD power management cable that bypasses the fuse box and makes the whole install a DIY job….

www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/blackvue-obd-power-pro-cable

Until recently the only way (besides an external battery) was to use one of these devices that connects to your fuse box…

www.amazon.co.uk/BlackVue-Power-Magic-Pro/dp/B008B8ERIO

The reviews on Amazon seem to suggest the Magic Pro is unreliable with many commenting how they fail after a short period of time and then having to pay a professional to remove and fit another, only again to fail days/weeks later. Perhaps the circuitry for the power management is the bit most likely to stop working with a dash cam, to have this built into the AR790 might not have been the best idea by the manufacturer. If the Blackvue OBD cable ever fails, it can be removed/replaced by anyone within minutes without the worry of paying an auto electrician since it’s a simple plug & go setup that you cannot mess up. Yes, I know a lot of people will be very capable at taping a fuse/earthing and say there is nothing to it, but not everyone is as confident no matter how simple it looks, this is to show with the Blackvue there is another way.

Also, Blackvue have UK based customer support to resolve any issues quickly should the need arise. It appears Qvia customer service can only be reached by their South Korean contact number or email.

@nad If you need to access the OBD port for anything else is it just a case of unplugging and re plugging back in again?

@nad Just to keep you updated, the Qvia AR790 has had no failures of the circuitry for power management. Also please note, all support for it comes from the following UK company. http://www.ttwpartnerslimited.co.uk/ not from South Korea. They also sell BlackVue and many others.

To try and sell the BlackVue, TTW are giving the Magic Pro away free. Also it is not appreciated by many that you still have to run the wiring from the back camera to the front camera to store the images on the front memory card.

I like the idea of getting the power supply from the OBD port. Perhaps many more will go this route.

Takes about a minute to download a minute using the BlackVue app. Records in minute long segments, which is probably helpful, but sometimes a nuisance when what you want is a recording of the launch and it's split between two minute long segments, lol.

Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer premium discounts for the fitment of an in car HD dash cam.
Regards,
Dan.

And reviews on the ones creweaudi are selling?