Data Connection

DaveW

Reaction score
Hi folks,
In anticipation of collecting my new A6 Avant tomorrow, I was wondering what data connection you are using?
I am wanting to use web radio on the MMI and Spotify on my mobile via the Smartphone Interface. Will the built-in SIM allow this, or will I need to use the "Carphone" Bluetooth profile with my RSAP mobile?
Thanks,
Dave

From my own experiences I've gathered that:
  • Hands free connection won't allow web radio to work
  • Carphone allows web radio but can't get weather or news to work
  • Plugging in Android Auto takes over the phone connection and Bluetooth need to be turned off to allow spotify to work.
Can anyone else share their experiences?
Thanks,
Dave

Essentially, any streaming services will require your own data. Everything else will be via the car eSIM. The eSIM allows news, weather, connections to the server for voice and whatever, and also everything for the sat nav, including traffic and sat nav updates. I know this because, just last week it prompted me to do a map update, and it updated all European maps via the eSIM; it did it pretty quickly as well.

If you provide that data connection, then all data for the car goes through that data connection. So whether it be using a SIM you plug in, or RSAP to your phone, once you connect it, that'll be the data source for the car. It does warn you that when connecting. So, if you are fine with that, then yes just go ahead and connect it up.

I haven't tested this but, I am pretty sure that if you connect via android auto, then it just makes use of the data connection from the phone via the cable, irrespective of whether it was connected via bluetoooth (RSAP) or not.

I currently have a throw away sim I leave in the slot and just push it in when I want to use streaming. Haven't tried android auto with the touch screen interface yet. I really didn't get on with AA in the A4, but maybe it'll feel better with the touchscreen...

I realised this morning that I hadn't logged into Audi Connect on the MMI, which explains the lack of weather etc.
The only issue now is Android Auto, which, as you say grabs the data connection. So it's not possible to listen to MMI Web Radio and view WhatsApp messages. Then again, I am supposed to be concentrating on driving....

Yes, the Android Auto connection is a bit annoying. If you leave AA running, you get full voice control of What's app, so when IMs arrive, it'll notify you and you can listen to the message(s), and can also respond all by voice control.

I will run a test when I get a chance to see if the external sim makes a difference. I can try connecting the sim, then connecting a cable and running AA, then switch back to the MMI and see if I can run the web radio.

Great, spent lunch time setting up shortcuts and doing some other settings, stuck in the office now so can't do any more mucking about in my car :rage:

Decided not to bother with Android Auto for now, it offers nothing more than the MMI can do.
I've decided to dump Spotify (which was the main reason for using AA) and gone with Amazon Music, it works well via the MMI so far.

I was also hoping for better Spotify integration rather than using via AA or Bluetooth. I've tried Amazon music using the app in car but I get a "failure to connect" each time. Has anyone else had this problem?

Amazon works fine for me. I use RSAP Bluetooth profile to my S9+ and a WiFi connection to the MMI on my phone. Also logged into Amazon Music in the MyAudi app on the services menu.

I'm able to load up Napster (unfortunately!), news feeds with my own RSS added, station prices and weather etc but not Amazon. I'm logged in on the MMI as well as the MyAudi app. The app detects Amazon as logged in. Even with my phone plugged in using AA i still can't get a connection to Amazon Music. I assume that because Amazon music is part of the Audi Connect services that it would be able to use the data connection that is pre-existing in the car without the need to root my phone for remote sim access or use another data sim.

In order to work, Amazon needs either:
  • A data plan purchasing for the inbuilt eSIM
  • A separate data SIM
  • An RSAP Bluetooth compatible mobile connected
Cheers,
Dave

In order to work, Amazon needs either:
  • A data plan purchasing for the inbuilt eSIM
  • A separate data SIM
  • An RSAP Bluetooth compatible mobile connected
Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave, a bit annoying that it is supported by Audi Connect services but is the only app that requires a data package.

It looks like i'm going to have to root my phone for RSAP seeing as I have an unlimited plan already in place.

Reactions: DaveW
Thanks Dave, a bit annoying that it is supported by Audi Connect services but is the only app that requires a data package.

It looks like i'm going to have to root my phone for RSAP seeing as I have an unlimited plan already in place.
Good, the only issue I have is leaving home, the phone is still connected to the home WiFi, so myAudi doesn't start automatically. It's a shame you can't prioritize a WiFi connection, so I would give priority to the car WiFi over my home one. There's a 3rd party app that does, so may give it a go.

Guys, do you have to log in to Audi Connect ie using the scratch off number etc to activate Google maps?

Sam, why do you say you need to root your phone? If you have an android phone, it should just be a standard feature, unlike iPhones where it isn't available.

Sam, why do you say you need to root your phone? If you have an android phone, it should just be a standard feature, unlike iPhones where it isn't available.

There are only a handful of phones in Europe that come with RSAP already enabled out of the box, mostly Samsung 8-9 series. The Qualcomm Bluetooth chip on my phone supports RSAP but I need to be a root user to enable it.
I was looking at installing LineageOS a while back so now I have a reason to give it a go!

There are only a handful of phones in Europe that come with RSAP already enabled out of the box, mostly Samsung 8-9 series. The Qualcomm Bluetooth chip on my phone supports RSAP but I need to be a root user to enable it.
I was looking at installing LineageOS a while back so now I have a reason to give it a go!
Out of interest Sam, what phone do you have?

Yes, I'm also curious to know what phone it is?
RSAP has been around as long as I can remember, however its also fair to say, I've only had Samsung phones for the last few years. The first phone I connected up to make use of RSAP was an S5, so I made the assumption that it was now available on every non-apple phone. It hadn't occurred that other manufacturers wouldn't make it available.

LG G6 guys. Like i said most phones don't come out of the box with it pre-enabled in the OS and different region models have various features enabled or disabled.

So I have just taken delivery of my new S9+. Could someone provide what settings are required on both ends to get RSAP working correctly? I've seen Bluetooth tethering in the phone options, is there any additional setup required in the MMI?

Last edited:
When you've connected your phone, go to settings > connected devices then long press the S9+ on the MMI menu. Make sure "carphone" profile is selected - if memory serves me well...