Data SIM - how useful

monkeyboy_marcus

Reaction score
Title says it really. New owner (upgrade) and loving the versatility of options within the set up of this new model. One thing I've not experienced before is the in-car wifi. To get it fully working it seems that a data only SIM would be needed but before I commit to this I was wondering just how useful this is? Feedback would be appreciated.

It's not amazing really, but my sim-only deal is £5 a month I think, cancelable any time. It means I can get the Google Maps view on the sat nav which is kinda cute. In car WiFi has actually been useful a few times, especially in Wales, where the size of the aerial seems to mean that the car gets a better data signal than my phone. There's a handful of other features you get such as pushing journey destinations from the myAudi web portal straight into the car, but other than that it doesn't do a great deal.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
It's not amazing really, but my sim-only deal is £5 a month I think, cancelable any time. It means I can get the Google Maps view on the sat nav which is kinda cute. In car WiFi has actually been useful a few times, especially in Wales, where the size of the aerial seems to mean that the car gets a better data signal than my phone. There's a handful of other features you get such as pushing journey destinations from the myAudi web portal straight into the car, but other than that it doesn't do a great deal.
Guess you've gone for giffgaff or something similar? I've got the same deal, 500mb/£5 month, cancel whenever. It does seem to improve the sat nav view and I think it gives better traffic reports (not tried this yet). Wonder if you can use wifi assist for phone calls with iPhone when there's no mobile signal - that would be useful.