Deal or no deal?

Moisty said:
Sorry, I am struggling with this one!

I am only writing as I have just spent a month researching A3 prices and then finding one. I ensured I paid the right price (May 07 A3 Sportback, 3000 miles, 2.0 T S-line exclusive edition, £21k).

If you have put a deposit down on a car and then find you can get it cheaper elsewhere, is that just not tuff sh1t?

Sorry if that sounds unsympathetic to the casue, but from what I have read the only reason for wanting to cancel is that you think the price is too high and I am afraid that should have been thought of before purchase not after.

(flamesuit on!)

I think the original deal is good, but after more research i found i could get a better deal! more money ,but a better alround package IMHO.

I asked the dealer could he match the price if not i would have to cancel ( the ink was still wet ) they said they would let me know if they could match the deal first thing, as it was the managers day off!

The dealer rang me at 15.30 hours on monday saying ( i couldn't get out of the deal )

I have since found out the fianace only went through yesterday! ( could it of been around 1500 hours ? makes you wonder )

The original deal is starting to look more attractive when you add 675 pounds i would lose/pay out and save a whole lot of stress, plus no 12 week wait, as i don't have a car at the moment!

TBH i wouldn't of expected a main Audi dealer in one of the biggest citys in the country to be quite so unforgiving or backstreet!

Thanks

p

I agree, that Customer Service should get you out of this deal, I am just saying the law will not and to the letter of the law, the stealer has done no wrong.

From a customer service perspective they have not behaved as I would expect from an Audi main dealer.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

M

bowfer said:
Yes, but the point is a consumer normally has a cooling off period.
For some strange reason, those rights seem to be ignored if you sign a finance deal within a dealership.
Very odd.

The cooling off period applies under the distance selling act only. Thus if you are signing a credit agreement in store, at the dealers, in your home face to face then it is not a DISTANCE sale.

A distance sale is over the phone, by post etc.

I guess it may be the case that some companies offer the same cooling off period to both, but they are not legally required to do so

In a similar vein, out of sheer curiosity, where does the law stand on cancelling cars?
No finance signed (customer arranging their own finance)
No delivery date for car confirmed.
£500 deposit paid and contract signed 1 week ago.
Just curious, as I may want to get out of the Mini deal I have going.
I can also get a better deal elsewhere.
I don't mind losing the £500, if need be.

The cooling off period applies under the distance selling act only. Thus if you are signing a credit agreement in store, at the dealers, in your home face to face then it is not a DISTANCE sale.

A distance sale is over the phone, by post etc.

That's not quite the case. If you sign an agreement at home you always have a 14-day cooling off period. This was introduced in the days of the 'double-glazing salesman' who would visit you at home and be very persistent and persuade people to sign an agreement. A lot of people did this almost to get rid of the salesman, and then regretted it afterwards. So for this reason the 14-day cooling-off period was introduced.

The Distance Selling Regulations allow you to change your mind about goods you have purchased over the telephone or internet. In many cases you do not actually see the goods until they are delivered and if you do not like them your are entitled to return them to the supplier, usually within 14-days, for a full refund.

bowfer said:
In a similar vein, out of sheer curiosity, where does the law stand on cancelling cars?

That will depend on the wording of the contract. Sometimes you will just lose your deposit. Other times they will state that they can recover any losses from you.

I would have thought there would be no problem, especially as they have not yet confirmed a delivery date. It's possible you may loose your deposit but maybe not.

I don't think they would go to court to make you honour the agreement to purchase the car from them.

Moisty said:
That will depend on the wording of the contract. Sometimes you will just lose your deposit. Other times they will state that they can recover any losses from you.

I have a copy of said contract in front of me.
Absolutely no small print at all.
Just details of the spec, balance due and a statement saying

"You hereby warrant and represent that you do not intend to resell the goods for commercial purposes"

That's it.
TBH, I wouldn't even expect to lose the deposit, as they haven't even told me when I can expect the car.
If they haven't given me a delivery date, I would argue it hasn't actually been ordered, yet.

Havign read through this I am a little confused - you have signed the documentation in the Audi dealer - but I thought that the finance agreement / deal was not legally binding until both parties had completed the arrangement i.e. you sign and they give over funds - until that point the contract was not formallised?

Anyway - It sounds to me like the Audi dealer is sh1t3 - I know I changed my mind last year - had a TT on order, deposit paid, test drove an S3 and the dealer had no issues about swapping deposit over, and changing finance (with VW finance) to the different vehicle - vehicles were same kind of cost, I guess they got a TT build slot out of it, but I had no issues at all.

Moisty said:
Anyway, I thought you was getting an Alpina?

I am, it's the wife that wants the Mini.
I'm happy enough with the price they're doing on the Mini, given that you'll barely get any discount on one of them.
It's the paltry offer they've made on her existing Clio that's ******* me off, big time.
I may get it sold privately, but I may not.
If I don't get it sold privately by the delivery date of the Mini, I'm then forced to take their paltry offer.
I'd rather give myself breathing space and sell the Clio privately without having a 'deadline' to meet.
Get my drift?

Ive gone for the original car/deal they threw in 12 month tax as well, it is a good deal the car is late june 07 so its just over 6 month old!

Is there any good accessories i can tell em to throw in too?

Boot liner?
Rubber mates?
Torch?

Anything else?

Thanks

p

Good for you.

It looked a very good spec, and you probably don't need all the stress.

Phantom, glad to hear you reached a mutually good conclusion.

M

TDI-line said:
Good for you.

It looked a very good spec, and you probably don't need all the stress.

Very true , all the miver was starting to take the shine off the fantastic car that i'm buying/saved up for!

I can't wait!!!!!!! i'll get it RR'd at the Awesome rollin road day in march.

Thanks for all your support, i'll get some pics up!

p

bowfer said:

I cancelled our first A3 when I went to pick it up as the dealer wouldnt match the price of the newly(at the time) released Special edition. All the specs were the same but they wanted me to pay £2k more than the car was now worth if i reordered it. They told me I could pull out and loose the deposit or reorder the car and wait three more months. I reordered and the extra saved added DVD nav to our car. I think they thought as i was looking at the car I would accept it and not want to wait, while reordering it the manager came over and offered me it at the reduced price which i turned down.

Dandle said:
I cancelled our first A3 when I went to pick it up as the dealer wouldnt match the price of the newly(at the time) released Special edition. All the specs were the same but they wanted me to pay £2k more than the car was now worth if i reordered it. They told me I could pull out and loose the deposit or reorder the car and wait three more months. I reordered and the extra saved added DVD nav to our car. I think they thought as i was looking at the car I would accept it and not want to wait, while reordering it the manager came over and offered me it at the reduced price which i turned down.

****** stealers, makes your blood boil. Grrrr.