Dealer washed my car! I'm LIVID !

DonnyDriver

Reaction score
Just had car returned to me by my dealer after having a puncture repair .... and they've cleaned my pride & joy !
I'm fuming !

No one has ever washed my car other than me in the 2 years I've had it. Never had a grubby sponge or rag near it!!
I always tell them not to wash it but today I forgot when they picked it up (although I never thought they'd wash it for a tyre repair).

I've sent an email of complaint but doubt I'll get anywhere - even though I've asked what Audi's policy is on work that is carried out without permission.

How much will it cost me to have a detailer check it out for swirls and bring it back to its best?

:cry:

How much will it cost me to have a detailer check it out for swirls and bring it back to its best?

Why not just go outside and look yourself??? there may not be any swirls!

Reactions: glospete, batch, Zak0123 and 5 others
Ahhhhh ! Any issues with the paint that weren't there before ?

Detailers generally charge by the severity (number of days) of the paint correction and the products being used so anywhere between £200-£350.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
Thanks. I will in future. Not had chance to go around it yet and have a good look. Hopefully I might have got away with not too much damage.
Hopefully it be ok;)

As much as I sympathise, I doubt you'll get anywhere. The car clean is advertised as complimentry and you didn't tell them not to.

You obviously take great care of your car. Why not get yourself a DA polisher... it'll always come in handy and sort any swirls left by the dealer wash (if there are any).

Reactions: S3_RYAN, Daveotto and Rob2k68
As much as I sympathise, I doubt you'll get anywhere. The car clean is advertised as complimentry and you didn't tell them not to.

You obviously take great care of your car. Why not get yourself a DA polisher... it'll always come in handy and sort any swirls left by the dealer wash (if there are any).
+1

Thanks. They picked it up in a rush this morning and I never thought to tell them. But, then again, I never thought for one moment they'd wash it just for a tyre repair. Only when I saw the video from the workshop that they sent me did the horrible truth hit me.
I'll look into a DA polisher - might have to go on my Xmas list ..

Reactions: Rob2k68

Agree. It's obvious that you love your car, but chill out :footy:

Reactions: Zak0123 and IBaudiSport
Totally sympathise with you. I took mine in a few weeks ago and agreed to the clean! never again! interior was the worst, with windoes, mirrors and dash all full of marks where the residue hadnt been polished off. went home and spent about an hour trying to clean it properly. This was Leicester Audi. Its prob just a teenage kid doing it for them who really doesnt care. Best steer clear.....

If you have enough protection on the car you're likely not to have any marks on it. That's if the sponge was clean and the tea towel they used to dry it didn't have any sugar on it.

I do jest. Been there with dealers and washing cars. As above, get a DA and you'll not be worried about future swirls.

But don't panic till you've actually seen it.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Can't believe I just read that!

Reactions: S.line, Jassyo06 and Cymru09
Dealer did it to my S3 after being told quite clearly not to wash or valet. When I turned up to pick it up after being with them a week I noticed the swirl marks and scratches straight away. They tried to get out of it and deny they had washed it, but I remained calm and pointed out the damage saying it wasn't like that when it was dropped off and also stating a number of things that didn't add up with their explanation. They paid the £500 it cost to put it right with my detailer (who knew my car inside out and backed me up) and gave me a courtesy car for the three days it took for him to do a full paint correction on the car. I also wrote to their head of business and they have now changed their policy when it comes to looking around the car before any work and clearly marking when not to wash the car.

Reactions: Roberto71
Just had car returned to me by my dealer after having a puncture repair .... and they've cleaned my pride & joy !
I'm fuming !

No one has ever washed my car other than me in the 2 years I've had it. Never had a grubby sponge or rag near it!!
I always tell them not to wash it but today I forgot when they picked it up (although I never thought they'd wash it for a tyre repair).

I've sent an email of complaint but doubt I'll get anywhere - even though I've asked what Audi's policy is on work that is carried out without permission.

I would be more worried letting them drive it rather than them washing it.....lol

Reactions: ruairi83, SpeedyFrog, batch and 5 others
Lethalweapon4 riggs murtaugh office 700x347

Reactions: Rob2k68, SpeedyFrog, Simon L and 2 others
Oh mate feel sorry for you, see what they say and if its positive then get it detailed and give them the bill.
They are supposed to look after your car.

I can't believe you took it to a main dealer to fix a puncture. They probably took it straight to the local puncture repair garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruairi83, SpeedyFrog, Simon L and 1 other person
And got them to drop it off at the Romanian car wash on the way back.

Reactions: ruairi83, SpeedyFrog, Simon L and 3 others
Wow, all this song n dance and the OP hasn't even come back to us with a 'damage' report yet. Unbelievable!!

I could be wrong but I think most of the dealers gave up using a wire brush for cleaning customers cars a while ago...................worst case scenario likely a bit of polish. They cleaned mine for the first service a month ago and made a cracking job of it :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, SpeedyFrog, Daveotto and 2 others
I could be wrong but I think most of the dealers gave up using a wire brush for cleaning customers cars a while ago..................

You're right... Brillo pads are a lot cheaper!

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68, SpeedyFrog and 2 others
You're right... Brillo pads are a lot cheaper!

lol .......fairy tales and urban myths but to each they're own, am happy to be in the minority on this one ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68, SpeedyFrog, pburv and 3 others
I also wrote to their head of business and they have now changed their policy when it comes to looking around the car before any work and clearly marking when not to wash the car.

Now all the mechanics circle jerk in your car. Does it have that hint of tinned tuna when you get it back from the dealers .......

Agree with Si, apart from the gloss B pillars that marr up just looking at them, the few times dealers have accidentally washed our cars, nothing serious happened. Certainly not requiring a 500 pound detail ***.

Maybe the UK dealers do use the local rotating brush 5 minute drive through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, SpeedyFrog, Ruhel and 3 others
This issue isn't restricted to Audi, coming from BMW and associated forums. It's clear that their dealerships have similar 'difficulty' understanding that whilst the significant number of their customers appreciate the 'free wash', a relativity small percentage of owners clean their car to a higher standard and normal washing processes will cause damage. A forum like this is likely to see a higher percentage that the wider ownership.

If you tell them not to wash the car and they do, they must be prepared to accept the consequences, but if you forget to tell them (particularly if their protocol from the franchiser says they should do a courtesy valet) you don't really have much comeback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, pburv, Simon L and 1 other person
That lot do a great soapy hand job apparently.
I have a mate nicknamed Soapy and it involves a high class lady with bucket of soapy water.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, WarwickL, Sandra and 3 others
At least they didn't give it a full valet whilst it was in :whistle2:

Reactions: richinsoton, SimonM95, SpeedyFrog and 8 others
I was talking to the local Autosmart rep yesterday, I mentioned that I'd seen his truck at a local hand car wash! He said "Oh don't ever take your S3 there, they buy the cheapest stuff they can and it's all caustic stuff they buy"....not from him though :)

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and pburv
Aberdeen Audi have a rotating brush drive through washer. This is a recently opened showroom and service centre so must still be part of the Audi process.
This is where any damage will have been done.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and pburv
I was talking to the local Autosmart rep yesterday, I mentioned that I'd seen his truck at a local hand car wash! He said "Oh don't ever take your S3 there, they buy the cheapest stuff they can and it's all caustic stuff they buy"....not from him though :)

Yeah they use brick cleaner as a pre cleanser

Reactions: Rob2k68, SpeedyFrog, S3_RYAN and 2 others
Hmmmm... Still no damage report...in hindsight really can't understand why the OP posted on here before checking out the car.

Reality is @DonnyDriver made a mistake by not telling the dealer to not clean it .... So should be more LIVID with himself than anyone

Reactions: jdp1962, SJ43, richinsoton and 7 others
I feel a bit sorry for the guy...would a kind hearted MOD not send him a PM and ask him if he wants the thread deleted?!?!?

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Jassyo06 and Sandra
Bmw done this to my partners car after asking them not to do it they got sent a bill which was paid by them and now when we go in there they know who we are and do not wash or hoover her car due to them paying for a full gtecinc detail and seal

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
I feel a bit sorry for the guy...would a kind hearted MOD not send him a PM and ask him if he wants the thread deleted?!?!?
I will send him a pm as I'm kind hearted:) X

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, WarwickL, Ruhel and 2 others
Have you seen the other thread where he is gutted the stealer didn't wash his car.

Reactions: richinsoton, SpeedyFrog, Ruhel and 1 other person
I will send him a pm as I'm kind hearted:) X
Well I didn't want to point the finger your way...I just assumed you would ;)

Have you seen the other thread where he is gutted the stealer didn't wash his car.
Yeah I think he's taking the 'yellow stuff' because of this thread :)

Reactions: Scottyg, Rob2k68, SpeedyFrog and 2 others