Dealer wont budge on Price (£24k) - what can i ask for instead ?

S_Line

Reaction score
Hi Folks, looking to buy a 2017 S3 this afternoon, Main Audi dealer has it for sale at £24K its far from a bargain, and the salesman has already said, "dont be coming along and expecting to get any money off that price" so what can / should i ask for to ease this large amount of money purchase. Tyres are already very good, and its pretty much spotless. its done 29K miles so the 10K service is due. Anything else i can insist on ?

If you're happy to pay the money then pay it, if it's not worth it in your eyes or it's too much of a stretch then walk away, wait to see if it sells in a couple weeks then offer less. If it sells in that time is was the right money.

Failing that then car mats and a full tank of fuel!!!

Reactions: S_Line
Wait till the end of the month, then offer 23-23.500 and you will buy the car that day. If their monthly figures are good then it's most likely they will still refuse, if they are having a bad month then they may bite.

Reactions: oldoiler
Thank you for the replies guys :) I do like the matts and a tank of fuel idea :) test drive thi afternoon, its for my daughter, so im sure it will be perfect. So long it does not have the dreaded Audi Dealership Swirls on the paintwork lol !

If you're happy to pay the money then pay it, if it's not worth it in your eyes or it's too much of a stretch then walk away, wait to see if it sells in a couple weeks then offer less. If it sells in that time is was the right money.

Failing that then car mats and a full tank of fuel!!!
Yes good advice, i suppose its about right, but i hate paying full price when paying cash, i dont have a part exchange to mess about with either. BACS into dealers account instantly.

Reactions: daytonamart
When I get to the point where the dealer won't budge anymore I have a good old think and try to imagine how I'd feel if the car was sold.
If the cars right for you and you're happy with the price is it ultimately worth losing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have missed your deadline but...
I never negotiate on anything based on opinion. Use evidence. Go in armed with ten or so ads from Autotrader or Pistonheads showing similar cars for less money. Also show the salesman cars for a little more money with much lower mileage or much cheaper cars with slightly worse spec. If you can't do that, then it's fairly priced and both you and the salesman should be happy with the deal.

Reactions: daytonamart
Cash is no longer king, in many respects dealers these days do not want cash, pcp, finance etc are worth more to them than a cash sale. You might well get a better deal by going the finance route and paying it off early with the cash in your pocket.

Reactions: nothingness
cash was never king when buying a car from the dealerships.
that mindset was wrong from the get-go. they have so many kickbacks when financing, that customers never see.
dealerships are my customers and all they want is for customers to go through financing.

Last edited:
I got 2 free services via financing £10k of the £30k it cost.
Will pay August's payment then pay it off in full...
Service pack for 2 services for this is around £750 I think, may be even more?
To be honest Audi approved used command more and it's worth it because you get a year of Audi warranty you won't get anywhere else, if you buy it and the engine blows up, which could well happen if the previous owner had modified it to stage 3+, Audi will (or should) replace that engine.
Honestly I never buy from dealers that aren't Audi anymore, though I do avoid Hyde Audi because I've had 2 cars from there and they both went wrong, Hyde is where they "send cars too good to auction" according to Audi, it seems to translate to "send cars that have faults but are too new to sell elsewhere".

There's also the HPI issue that you won't get at Audi. Only Audi and BCA use the proper HPI database (there's several) a few high end supercar etc dealers got exposed selling cars that were Cat C/D write offs as "never damaged" a few years ago. Having said that, JCT600 Ferrari sold an F12 as undamaged but there's a pic of it on the net with the entire front end caved in.

Did you buy it in the end? Feels like a decent price now considering there are very few at that price point with that mileage.

I got 2 free services via financing £10k of the £30k it cost.
Will pay August's payment then pay it off in full...
Service pack for 2 services for this is around £750 I think, may be even more?
To be honest Audi approved used command more and it's worth it because you get a year of Audi warranty you won't get anywhere else, if you buy it and the engine blows up, which could well happen if the previous owner had modified it to stage 3+, Audi will (or should) replace that engine.
Honestly I never buy from dealers that aren't Audi anymore, though I do avoid Hyde Audi because I've had 2 cars from there and they both went wrong, Hyde is where they "send cars too good to auction" according to Audi, it seems to translate to "send cars that have faults but are too new to sell elsewhere".

There's also the HPI issue that you won't get at Audi. Only Audi and BCA use the proper HPI database (there's several) a few high end supercar etc dealers got exposed selling cars that were Cat C/D write offs as "never damaged" a few years ago. Having said that, JCT600 Ferrari sold an F12 as undamaged but there's a pic of it on the net with the entire front end caved in.

If it’s been modified in anyway you can forget about the warranty, but this should be picked up by the Audi service interrogation of the ecu !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i got 2 free services and warranty buying on PCP... paid it off in full before making a single payment

there is a shortage of new and used cars, so if a dealer can get stock they aren't going to give it away at the moment

Free services are of no interest to me, as I never use franchised dealers for servicing anyway. I wouldn't trust them to descale my kettle.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing, B5NUT, Alex.S3 and 1 other person
Hi,
Please remember, if you take out finance for offers like 2 free services or finance contribution, there are a few option open to you if you want to settle the agreement quickly. One is to ‘withdraw’ from the agreement within 14 days of signing it, and the other, and a lot of people do this as that’s what the dealer tells you, is to pay the first month then settle the balance. If you ‘withdraw‘ within the 14 days you only pay a few pound in interest charges and keep all the benefits (free servicing, contribution). But paying one month, then settling the agreement will cost you hundreds of pounds in interest! The dealer always says to pay one month so they get the commission on the deal, so I never mention I plan to ‘withdraw’ from the agreement. And it’s a legal right that won’t affect your credit score - another thing the dealer will tell you!

Reactions: toooldforboyracing
Free services are of no interest to me, as I never use franchised dealers for servicing anyway. I wouldn't trust them to descale my kettle.

Even when car is new and under warranty? I agree, however whilst under warranty would use use a main dealer not least for the Full service history as never keep cars beyond warranty

Even when car is new and under warranty? I agree, however whilst under warranty would use use a main dealer not least for the Full service history as never keep cars beyond warranty
A full service history is a full service history, regardless of who carries it out. If you want to know why I don't use dealers for anything other than warranty or recall work, click here and go to post 549 to see what happened the only time I ever took my S4 back to the supplying dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Farley
Fair enough, but I personally would never buy a car if it didn’t have full manufacturer service history, and certainly having just sold a car one of the 1st things ever asked is does it have full manufacturer service history

A full service history is a full service history, regardless of who carries it out. If you want to know why I don't use dealers for anything other than warranty or recall work, click here and go to post 549 to see what happened the only time I ever took my S4 back to the supplying dealer.

That could happen anywhere and more likely in a supermarket car park. I have certainly had my run ins with dealers. I don’t let them wash or touch the car from a cleaning point of view. I see you mapped your car, so obv. If that was the case for me, I would also avoid dealers (TD1 flag) but also places like MRC etc know what they are doing and are actually qualified mechanics

That could happen anywhere and more likely in a supermarket car park. I have certainly had my run ins with dealers. I don’t let them wash or touch the car from a cleaning point of view. I see you mapped your car, so obv. If that was the case for me, I would also avoid dealers (TD1 flag) but also places like MRC etc know what they are doing and are actually qualified mechanics
Well yes, of course it could happen anywhere but this happened whilst in the care of my supplying dealer due to the complete disinterest of someone the dealer pays to handle customers’ cars.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Fair enough, but I personally would never buy a car if it didn’t have full manufacturer service history, and certainly having just sold a car one of the 1st things ever asked is does it have full manufacturer service history
These days, a full manufacturer service history might consist of little more than a list of dates on a computer. What I handed over when I sold the S4 was an inch-thick folder of invoices itemising every single thing that was ever done on it, and every single new part that was ever fitted to it. I know which of those I‘d attach more worth to as a potential buyer.

Dealer history to me means that the car has been cared (if you can even use that word) for by people who don't give a stuff, and it's not just the techs fault. They are under time pressures set by the dealers and also try anything on to get you to part with more money for jobs that sometimes don't need to be done, and again dealerships put pressure on them to sell, so they get a bonus and the dealership also gets to charge £100+ an hour labour rate. I've got 2 cars under warranty at the moment and once they are out of warranty they will never see the dealers again. I would not trust them to service a kettle.

Audi dealers are over priced for the care and attention to detail that should be included when servicing is done on your car. I like Audi as a band and have done since I was a kid but the dealers are just appalling these days.

Reactions: jdp1962
You said descale :wink: That would be very technical for the dealership! There norm for a service is to change the oil or water for a kettle.. (making sure they don't torque the sump bolt correctly), then send you a video to empty your wallet of more cash, then send it of to an onsite 3rd party wash company to put a load of fine swirl marks in your paint. I like my kettle don't want it covered in scratches and the lid on so tight it needs a crow bar to remove it:whistle2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Farley, jdp1962 and Sandra
You said descale :wink: That would be very technical for the dealership! There norm for a service is to change the oil or water for a kettle.. (making sure they don't torque the sump bolt correctly), then send you a video to empty your wallet of more cash, then send it of to an onsite 3rd party wash company to put a load of fine swirl marks in your paint. I like my kettle don't want it covered in scratches and the lid on so tight it needs a crow bar to remove it:whistle2:
:tearsofjoy:

My side is hurting with laughing so much. That is such a funny, but accurate reply. :friends:

Reactions: jdp1962