B8 Deano's B8 RS4

Latest firmware and maps are now on it to keep it fresh and current.

23c4842981cd95785e8b6a27aa812535.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

H Dean, Any chance of getting the part numbers for these but more to the point, is it a simple job to do, realised in the last few days the would benefit from this mod, cheers
Hi mate sure,

Left: 4G0955987A

Right: 4G0955988A

Cardiff Audi sell them on ebay.

5 mins to install and then a few blasts around the block to adjust. They just pop out with a blunt knife and then you unclip the fluid pipe and swap.

Reactions: Geoff A
If it's not too cheeky, how much? I'm assuming you got from a dealer, I'd like this.
I did. I got it free as goodwill as they messed something up but it is usually £168. You will get a firmwire update with it too. If you send me a screenshot of your version info screen i can tell you what you are currently running if you want

@GeoffDunk i forgot to mention if you get it updated and it fails tell the tech that the partion sizes need adjusting. There is a technical bulletin for the issue

Love this thread, some nice little tips/tricks for when I get one. Gotta wait 12-18 months though :(

Reactions: DeanoC
How do you find the fuel economy or the nausea of having to stand at a petrol pump everytime you take it out.
I have run Subaru for 17 years, an S4 briefly and currently running a Cupra K1 as a stopgap, until funds allow for something a bit special (current list is RS4, S4, AMG A45, AMG CLA45, RS3 (likely to be still too overpriced)

I never really followed what the MPG was on the Subaru's but I was surprised that the Cupra K1 isn't much different to the V6 S4. If anything the 7-speed of the S4 was about 4 mpg better on a 200 mile motorway run.

Bearing in mind my car history am I really gonna feel the pain of poor MPG on the RS4. It's not so much the cost just the frequency stood at a pump that bothers me.

Cheers

How do you find the fuel economy or the nausea of having to stand at a petrol pump everytime you take it out.
I have run Subaru for 17 years, an S4 briefly and currently running a Cupra K1 as a stopgap, until funds allow for something a bit special (current list is RS4, S4, AMG A45, AMG CLA45, RS3 (likely to be still too overpriced)

I never really followed what the MPG was on the Subaru's but I was surprised that the Cupra K1 isn't much different to the V6 S4. If anything the 7-speed of the S4 was about 4 mpg better on a 200 mile motorway run.

Bearing in mind my car history am I really gonna feel the pain of poor MPG on the RS4. It's not so much the cost just the frequency stood at a pump that bothers me.

Cheers
Just over 20mpg on sensible motorway crusing, 15-17mpg normal driving and lucky to get 12mpg on a proper sporty drive.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Hi mate sure,

Left: 4G0955987A

Right: 4G0955988A

Cardiff Audi sell them on ebay.

5 mins to install and then a few blasts around the block to adjust. They just pop out with a blunt knife and then you unclip the fluid pipe and swap.

Cheers Dean, purchased and in the post from Cardiff!

Just over 20mpg on sensible motorway crusing, 15-17mpg normal driving and lucky to get 12mpg on a proper sporty drive.

I can get well into the 20's on a motorway run and regularly do 600+ miles a week, they are not as bad as you expect, the S-tronic (DSG) helps as its better than the equivalent manual. All this is overshadowed by how capable the caris and the quality feel, I never really look at the fuel its using and just fill it when its empty.

Hmm...that's pretty shocking.
I got 34.8mpg from the S4 on a run upto Wales and my K1 only returned 30mpg in a Christmas outing up to Lincolnshire.
My 2016 2.0TFSi A5 was also surprisingly close to the S4 considering the power differential.
As much as I love the look of the RS4 I think the petrol station visits would soon begin to grate, as most of my miles are local/town/short trips. If only there were a wide-body S4 option !!!
Unfortunately for Audi fans, the lack of ADS optioned Used/Approved S4's means I may end up in a CLA45 (headroom permitting).

Worth noting this was real mpg not the +10% most readouts give you.

I had a non amg cla the other day as a hirw car and i would honestly say it was the worst car ive been in for a very long time. The intirior quality was shocking. Look ace in pics but up close it's like sub SEAT quality

I keep hearing people buying the 45,s but they all seem to hate them and sell them again, don't waste your time or money mate.

I'm using mine as a daily driver, and it gets a few long runs, so 300 miles on a tankful is acceptable, and only slightly less than my S4 used to return. I've seen 28mpg when there's no need to rush, but 22 running about. It's so quick, you don't need to be heavy footed - completely different to my S4 in agility, feel and performance, and money well spent so far.......
If you're not doing big miles, the extra enjoyment from the V8 will outweigh the spend on fuel. If you're really worried about fuel, buy a diesel. Don't forget, a n/a engine will never be a match for the extra efficiency from forced induction. But boy it has character by the bucketful, along with stance, presence and noise. And that's worth paying for.
I'm lucky enough to own a TVR, which I love, and it's Speed Six engine is bonkers, but it ain't a high revving V8. Do it. You can always sell.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, DeanoC and THQuattro
I'm using mine as a daily driver, and it gets a few long runs, so 300 miles on a tankful is acceptable, and only slightly less than my S4 used to return. I've seen 28mpg when there's no need to rush, but 22 running about. It's so quick, you don't need to be heavy footed - completely different to my S4 in agility, feel and performance, and money well spent so far.......
If you're not doing big miles, the extra enjoyment from the V8 will outweigh the spend on fuel. If you're really worried about fuel, buy a diesel. Don't forget, a n/a engine will never be a match for the extra efficiency from forced induction. But boy it has character by the bucketful, along with stance, presence and noise. And that's worth paying for.
I'm lucky enough to own a TVR, which I love, and it's Speed Six engine is bonkers, but it ain't a high revving V8. Do it. You can always sell.
Never a truer word said. I'm at the point where the shell employees ask about the family but i wouldn't change it for the world.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Geoff A
Looking loveley mate! How do you find the zymol clay? I love the stuff!

Looking loveley mate! How do you find the zymol clay? I love the stuff!
Yea it does the job well. Can't say i have tested every one on the market but its the best of the few i have.

I'm 6 months in on the gtechniq now. Not a single swirl from all of the washes and it is still stopping dirt sticking. Nothing other than autoglym car shampoo and ph neutral snow foam has been used on the paint since the gtechniq:

I topped up the exo on the lights and buffing it off waterproofed my microfibre

Reactions: daytonamart
Great videos, but LOVE the waterproof microfibre!

Ooops just bought this:

b2f5eea382926cc75831daf9e12ca41e.jpg

It will be modified slightly and then I'll upload before and after RR figures and sounds

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, SPIKE_, Ben85 and 1 other person
Today i have been up against the rattles. It was worth nearly freezing to death as it is soooo much better now!

Main suspects were electrical connections, whole memory seat module moved around, the interior door handle LED, the join with the B&O tweeter, the contact point between the cheapy plastic around the grab handle and the door card.

6993704ef22f17cb1d24d404ddfbe20a.jpg

4c812e56796790cef6a2e20f6db73d52.jpg

9048f46fb86cda3a2a5a623b4e7e2405.jpg

Reactions: SPIKE_
I've been up to a bit of wrapping of the badges. I gave up looking for genuine carbon ones and these come out way better than expected!

b601e15772c4636d2fa1c92c972c1c3f.jpg

853ad7e716ee3fee4d7a9dcfc8786c24.jpg

2766b3d888aa8fb6b023d1a59e7fb1d3.jpg

531218e6724f9dc76fa09209ac52bd56.jpg

2e966aeada10bfb82ea5a3177b36ed5a.jpg

87289db1f03c22d91b085aab75f3adcb.jpg

6aaf0da13c345f63620988800b98cd46.jpg

I had a bit spare so did the keys:

2ef1af2b68aae5c242b8cc75d41d901d.jpg

aa9fd523c71bf63dcb419d760494cb7a.jpg

Reactions: THQuattro, Thundercliffe81 and daytonamart
I got the Milltek non-resonated today.

Very strong showing before and after:

b86ee1af7154568e753b17dd65de7614.jpg

f4700b90d4e5db0feede6333b6dda847.jpg

9b9a74b130667d99e70e19f567462a1f.jpg

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, THQuattro and Bristle Hound
So today was all about some rear rattle elimination. I had a feeling the milltek may have been the source of some of the rpm related ones and i was right. It rests on this cross member:

185d664abdc0831626801b16c792dee5.jpg

Nothing a few washers cant fix:

2d1e0150859402353fca210b373754c0.jpg

Next up was a harder mod. At the rear of the gearbox is plastic air scoop that directs air over the final drive output. The milltek down pipes are a couple of mm from it.

It was a bit melted:

acfccfca87cc63aec01c357177f6f1a8.jpg

I reduced the width by 10mm each side, made new sides from aluminium rather than plastic then put some heat proof foil tape over it:

35c39a916dfd6f195728b0d7213ed3f5.jpg

15f80c6fd623236dde7c891f99950eed.jpg

633ca15a0bb16f1214615eed2be1a44b.jpg

Now there is a nice little gap:

712f442da8ab70b5e2e0b195ae8f2d6d.jpg

Good news is all of the rattles, knocks and buzzing is gone but not only that the exhaust sounds so much better in the cabin with all the windows and roof shut! I mean totally different! It was very deep and boomy before and filled the whole cabin. Around 2k rpm on load was unbearable and around 3k was not great. Now it is nowhere near as bad and sounds 'throaty'. The other big difference is the sound is behind you which is much better.

I'm going to do a bit of sound proofing on the boot floor and inside the boot side panels and then i think this is going to be spot on

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Bristle Hound and THQuattro
Very impressed with Gtechniq G1. 3 months in and i still don't need wipers over 50mph

8ec1156e8c30bd001c541529d2ed8e70.jpg

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, SPIKE_ and daytonamart
Very impressed with Gtechniq G1. 3 months in and i still don't need wipers over 50mph

8ec1156e8c30bd001c541529d2ed8e70.jpg

That looks impressive. I have some of this that I have yet to apply. Seeing this makes me want to get it done pronto!

This is simply one of the most comprehensive ownership threads I've seen haha. My heart is beating out for the B8.5 RS4. I do really like my B9 S4 Avant. It's a huge step forward. In every way. But I need that V8. Gonna give my dealer a heart attack when I enquire about one after 4 months of ownership I'll wait til the B9 RS4 is out though obviously. Then...I'm coming to you for any and all queries haha.

You not think of a res delete only? Looked at Capristo for the RS4 but surprisingly expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is simply one of the most comprehensive ownership threads I've seen haha. My heart is beating out for the B8.5 RS4. I do really like my B9 S4 Avant. It's a huge step forward. In every way. But I need that V8. Gonna give my dealer a heart attack when I enquire about one after 4 months of ownership I'll wait til the B9 RS4 is out though obviously. Then...I'm coming to you for any and all queries haha.

You not think of a res delete only? Looked at Capristo for the RS4 but surprisingly expensive.

The issue you have is sound im the car vs. sound out of the car. Plus from a performance point of view you need to swap out the down pipes.

The milltek will be getting heavily modified soon to remove the front resonators, replace them with an x-pipe and imteoduce a centre resonator to deal with some of the deeper tones that ruin the in cabin experience.

Should be done before my next rolling road and 1/4 mile session late May.

Reactions: Geoff A and Thundercliffe81
The issue you have is sound im the car vs. sound out of the car. Plus from a performance point of view you need to swap out the down pipes.

The milltek will be getting heavily modified soon to remove the front resonators, replace them with an x-pipe and imteoduce a centre resonator to deal with some of the deeper tones that ruin the in cabin experience.

Should be done before my next rolling road and 1/4 mile session late May.

Seems like a lot of faff but then, seeing the detail you get into, I imagine you find that fun haha. Not a lot money vs a decent full system? Genuinely just out of curiosity...

Seems like a lot of faff but then, seeing the detail you get into, I imagine you find that fun haha. Not a lot money vs a decent full system? Genuinely just out of curiosity...

Oh that would be the smart move. I paid 1/3 RRP for the milltek though so it was worth a go. I may just go full custom yet and flog the milltek

Oh that would be the smart move. I paid 1/3 RRP for the milltek though so it was worth a go. I may just go full custom yet and flog the milltek

Yeah I seen a guy do this in Canada with his B8.5 S4 and it sounded incredible. X-pipe foundation then started tweaking it. So nice. Miltek seems a bit flat or even bass heavy on the YouTube vids I've watched for the RS4. But not heard one in the flesh. You got some clips?

It sounds epic from outside the car! Valves open below 4k gets annoying inside. I don't any video

Can't think of any other estate I'd rather own right now. It's far from perfect, but every journey is an event.

Can't think of any other estate I'd rather own right now. It's far from perfect, but every journey is an event.
That is exactly it. Nearly a year in now and i get excited about being in it, even if that is a 5am trip to work or a 4hr trek to Devon (like tomorrow).

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Geoff A

I think I've learned that lately. I've got ultra high tech tekkers and plush interior etc. But I love the fact that the RS4 is just an honest brute.

Another one I didn't like was the odd calipers front vs. rear. Sorted that with the RS6 plates from stoke audi and some drilling:

30ebbe65e3d2d1f650fd002648b03404.jpg

78a75e2c865efc6f62e89b1e261cd97c.jpg

87fc6060ed011db75cc674ae14300e86.jpg

Hey Deano, awesome motor m8, I found that aswell when I got my B7...the rear calipers let the car down. The fronts you have massive 8 pots and the rears you have a single piston sliding caliper....Audi could do better I think.

Carbon mirrors done:
cbc3ab4cae083427918ebc23cd28d170.jpg
781df45111383726f4bbee8af8c455fa.jpg
319f0cd916e21a8f9732de3f06e664f3.jpg
a945bb7eb600b6da1556fbd877297b11.jpg

Reactions: SPIKE_ and Thundercliffe81