Decat or sports cat

morgan306

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to order a 3" DP & either a sports cat, or decat from Sam Bryant this weekend, just after some quick advice...

Assuming I have somewhere that will pass a decat, is there any other problems associated with it? Management light,fault codes etc?

I don't want a noisy car, but don't mind a little bit more grunt.

Lastly, is there much of a difference between the two?

Any advice ice is greatly received!

Morgan.

Ive no idea as ive not had one but have you read the article in the stickies?
Im under the impression theres not a lot more power to he had from decat to sports cat just extra noise. Also try asking sam. He will have had pkenty of feedback im sure. Its one of my soon to do things so would also like to know. Daz

From what i read the dp is where any gains are made. However, it supposedly a pig to fit. This is why i only got a decat pipe from john ashley exhausts. We dont have MOT tests here so all good. It seems to add more power to top end, but does feel like it has a flat spot now, i think i need a remap?! Hope that helps a little, until someone tells u more.
J

Thanks for your help guys. I got a bit impatient and ordered a decat, in hindsight I would probably of gone with the safe bet and got a sports cat, maybe I'm just a wimp!

Kit arrived from Sam just 3 days after ordering, brilliant service from him!! It's getting fitted this weekend so I may just do a video.

Reactions: Adam P and kwistof
Cool!! Try to get a vid for sure. What exhaust you using?

Evening! So today my neighbour took on the task of fitting the Relentless gear at his garage, which ended up taking all day. It really is a *******! The DP & decat do not fit well at all. We cut about an inch off from the end of the decat as I'm using the standard cat back system, but the decat sits very low, and over to one side! Also, the downpipe is touching the heat shield, making a noise! I have attached a couple of pictures. I guess there isn't much I can do, except find a place that will cut & modify the dp/decat to fit properly? It also blows at the join between decat/cat back, but I will get a new clamp and try again with that part. It's funny how you never stumble across the "Relentless poor fitment" threads until after you've bought one isn't it!

This is where the decat wanted to sit, before being coupled to the rest of the system.

Jesus what a joke. I thought these issues were resolved to be honest? Guess not.
So no idea on gains etc yet i guess.

Well I bought a decat from toyosport went too fit it this morning had it all on started the car and it was blowing! Checked the flanges and connection too the rest of the exhaust system! and no blowing from any of them finally found a crack in one of the welds on a brand new decat!! Really not impressed and still not had a reply from toyosport about it!

Lets just hope the gains and sound make it worthwhile. What a product though.

Think I will look elsewhere for a down-pipe if this is the fitment issues people are getting.

Mine fitted like a glove, just had to wrap some aluminium tape around the stock system to make up for where the clamp (new clamp) was slightly loose.
Was on a A3 quattro

Was a Toyosport copy of the Relentless one, welding wasn't brilliant, hardly any filler in the welds but mine has lasted 1000 miles so far and seems alright

I now have both; sports cat and decat from relentless, both fitted perfectly as expected.. Mates nicely up to the milltek system.

The decat sounds a lot louder when you let your foot off the accelerator from about 5K... No pops and bangs yet but I'm sure that can be arranged :)

I fitted the decat with a lambda cheater from eBay.. No management lights so far.

As for performance differences.. Between decat and sports cat.. It's too early for me to tell at the moment, but if I was buying again I would just buy both.. Keep the sports cat for MOT time ;)

Are you running standard engine management? Want to get my relentless downpipe and decat fitted but don't know if it's guna make the car run bad.

Nope, stage 1 r-tech remap - but the car wasn't mapped with that downpipe / decat fitted and it runs perfectly fine now :)

Thanks mate. Can you run these without the 2nd lambda sensor? Mine has a a rather old and rusty blanking bolt on the decat pipe.

No worries... That I'm not sure of.
I 'think' the second sensor is only to monitor the cats performance, it's the sensor on the downpipe that communicates with the ECU and adjusts the air / fuel mixture. Hopefully someone will come along and confirm / tell me I'm talking **** haha. If your car has a 2nd lambda sensor and you don't connect it you will have the engine management light on though.. Until you can get it mapped out.