dechrome or not

Azz

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on getting the chrome > de chromed. mine is metallic black and to somewhat it makes it stand out more with the chrome window surround and at the rear around the diffuser pipes. i will leave the chrome mirrors,.

has anyone blacked out theirs , any pics? what do you guys think ?

Reactions: ohmyaudi
Used to love the chrome especially on sepang but quickly grew tired of it. got the window surrounds, grill, front bumper grill and rear diffuser wrapped in gloss black on my saloon. Looks much better imo. I'll grab a few pics later for you.

Reactions: Fatbloke and Azz
Used to love the chrome especially on sepang but quickly grew tired of it. got the window surrounds, grill, front bumper grill and rear diffuser wrapped in gloss black on my saloon. Looks much better imo. I'll grab a few pics later for you.
mines S3 Sportback 66 FL - looking to do it , but dont want it looking like one of those dogdy cars who are patrolling the streets to sell their good if you know .
what i mean. Being a clack car too.

how much did it cost to get all that done?

Last edited:
Mine is daytona grey and defo keeping it chrome. Black just makes it look like a black edition A3. Plus I find the contrast looks so much better.

If my car was white, black or yellow, then black edition looks good. And on a lot of those bold Audi exclusive colours.

Reactions: AllanG and Azz
I have monsoon grey, with the rims, depending on the color you have, the chrome looks either good or not. Nothing too dramatic, but I recently dipped my rims a black with gold and now the chrome sticks out more than needed along with the chrome mirror caps.
9ce487c266d811401943e1b2e5839811.jpg
74d937b5a8d2cd811daaebe49d6f798e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Azz and James.B8
I think it depends on the car colour tbh.
I'm not a huge fan of the chrome trim as it reminds me of a 1980's Ford!
I have the black pack on my Panther black S3 and I much prefer the look
20171009 175827 3024x2268

Reactions: S3tuart, dp_motley, JimmyMcGee and 3 others
I don't there's a "correct" answer. It's a matter of personal preference and after all it's your car so it doesn't really matter what other people think. I like chrome and I think it looks good. Car have had brightwork of some sort since the first cars were made whether brass, nickel plate and then chrome plate and stainless steel. Some people think the chrome is too "bling" but compared to classic cars (with chrome bumpers, headlights, grilles, wiper arms etc etc) there's really not that much on an S3.

IMG 1666

IMG 1392 obs smaller

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy F, TYb, Matt Titanium and 2 others
each to their own I think mate, I personally don't like the chrome against black, think the black on black looks more mean and aggressive, especially on FL models. When I say 'wrapped the grill' I got a gloss black RS 3 grill I swapped over. grill fitted, window surrounds, front bumper intake grills and rear diffuser in gloss black was £350

Reactions: Azz
Now seeing the black with chrome I do retract my statement about black having to have black pack. Looks great with chrome too.

I feel like Daytona and Navarro you HAVE to get the chrome bits.

Reactions: Azz
Black does look more aggressive , but the chrome works well on the blakc car too,. i like it at night with the reflections. the chrome does bring it to life,

Screenshot 20180207 150227

Reactions: stote
Why not just get certain bits decromed? Iv got Daytona grey wanted black edition for the grill buuuut wanted silver mirrors because to me that is S3 only bit I want gloss black is the grey diffuser and grill rest of the chrome I like

yes im thinking to do window surround and rear diffuser .& maybe tininting the tail lights a shade, not the darker one. defo leaving the chrome mirrors. sets the S3 apart.

Mines black and I want rid of the chrome, according to Elsa I can just lever out the chrome trim with a trim tool and then wrap it - has anyone tried it yet ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the chrome against my glacier white, despite my initial reservations. I think it makes it look ‘clean’ if you get my drift.

1A1CBD8C 7A04 42AC B6C6 98E13CA1818A

Reactions: Azz and Svenedin
Looks very smart! Did you think about changing the badges to black too?

Could you share front pics of the grill please?
No I preffered to leave them chrome, maybe on a different colour car then yes imo.
Sadly I don't have the car now but this is a front shot that I have
20180610 090231 crop 454x465

Reactions: beadyeyess3
No I preffered to leave them chrome, maybe on a different colour car then yes imo.
Sadly I don't have the car now but this is a front shot that I haveView attachment 177844

Yeah can’t decide about the badges but defo want to de chrome! Thanks for the pic it looks really smart. And defo shame you no longer have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: -Ju-
I am going to get the front grille surround and the window surrounds wrapped in gloss black I think. The car is black.

Just waiting for better weather.

I am going to get the front grille surround and the window surrounds wrapped in gloss black I think. The car is black.

Just waiting for better weather.

Yes same for me but can’t decide if I should do it all black including badges or not. I guess it’s personal preference!

Yes same for me but can’t decide if I should do it all black including badges or not. I guess it’s personal preference!

I plan on some debadging but keep the standard quattro badge and will try changing Audi badge to black front and rear. Can always change them back if it's too much black.

I have monsoon grey, with the rims, depending on the color you have, the chrome looks either good or not. Nothing too dramatic, but I recently dipped my rims a black with gold and now the chrome sticks out more than needed along with the chrome mirror caps.
9ce487c266d811401943e1b2e5839811.jpg
74d937b5a8d2cd811daaebe49d6f798e.jpg

Are those wheels left and right handed? The silver ones are going in 'the opposite direction'.

Reactions: Ron240 and BD55SOL
Are those wheels left and right handed? The silver ones are going in 'the opposite direction'.
That was very well spotted. :thumbs up:
Naturally I am aware of directional tyres but I didn't know there is such a thing as directional wheels.
The silver wheels certainly seems to be directional because the spokes are clearly running in a different direction, so one of them has been fitted to the wrong side of the car.
After they have been painted black in the second picture they are both running the same way.
Here is a link to some info on directional wheels.
https://www.rimstyle.com/pages/directional.html

Going to dechrome mine soon. If anyone is near Hampshire UK and wants dechroming send me a message as I am trying to start my own business.

That was very well spotted. :thumbs up:
Naturally I am aware of directional tyres but I didn't know there is such a thing as directional wheels.
The silver wheels certainly seems to be directional because the spokes are clearly running in a different direction, so one of them has been fitted to the wrong side of the car.
After they have been painted black in the second picture they are both running the same way.
Here is a link to some info on directional wheels.
https://www.rimstyle.com/pages/directional.html
The rims are not direction specific, but the tires are. The shop had to remount the tires.

The rims are not direction specific, but the tires are. The shop had to remount the tires.
The tyres may well be....this is very common.
The wheels are indeed directional and have been fitted incorrectly as can be clearly seen in your first photo(silver wheels).
The wheels come in 2 matching pairs, and each pair must be fitted to one side of the car so that the spoke direction is running the same way no matter which side of the car you look at.
Directional wheels have no bearing on functionality unlike directional tyres, because the difference is purely visual.
If you click on the link I posted it explains all this.

Last edited:
Hello all.. Does anyone know of a good company that can dechrome located in north London area?

I think it depends on the car colour tbh.
I'm not a huge fan of the chrome trim as it reminds me of a 1980's Ford!
I have the black pack on my Panther black S3 and I much prefer the look
View attachment 147920

I really like the black edition Panther Black, but I also love the contrast with the chrome (like mine lol)

Attachments

• DSC00088.jpg
    DSC00088.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 454
Anyone took the window surround out? Wanting to wrap mine gloss black and don’t want to do it in car want it to be properly tucked in round the back?

Is it possible to take the window surround off the car? Must be able to if you can get the black optics pack?

Ive got s3 saloon facelift and can get ones above doors off and wrap but under windows are harder. You should be able to get a trim removal tool under them and pry off carefully as heard they bend easily. I havent got my bottom ones off yet but need to as hard to wrap near wingmirror

So they should just ping off so to speak with a prying tool?
I just don’t want to snap them removing then,
If anyone has a link to the black ones you can just buy would be much appreciated too? If possible obviously not from Audi as I don’t want to be spending daft amounts on little window trims I’d rather just keep chrome if there too expensive.

What part of Hampshire are you in? I’m looking for someone in NE Hampshire that would be able to do this
Im south Hampshire on the coast. Happy to walk you through it though as its not hard to do if want to pm me.