Dechroming Help/Guide

superd

Reaction score
So after many hours of thinking I am going to de chrome my car, is there a guide on how to do it? and if I think that it don't look good is it just a simple push back on or not?
Many Thanks

simplist way is to repaint tbh. The side chrome parts on the B7 are essentially not removable without destroying them. Replacements are extremely expensive. Especially if you get the black optics type. The front grill is easy to remove and paint. The rear chrome strip takes a couple of mins to pull it out of the bumper and repaint.

As stated, go for painting them, I tried to wrap my door Crome parts but proved unsuccessful, so my next bet is plasti-dip, my mates just given me what's left of his tin so will be giving this a go (hopefully) on Saturday, if it works ill put up a few pics on a new thread and guide anyone who wants to know in the right direction.....

If you've never heard of plasti-dip before, give it a search, it's a type of paint that can be pulled off later if you don't like it or have had enough and will not damage the paint (or in this case the Crome) underneath.

Thanks folks, rich I may just wait and check your pics out ;) I hope all goes well

I did my rear chrome strip with plastidip (took a couple of attempts to do it right - never done it before) and its still 100%. Did the front grill too, but it started pealing quite quickly. Takes a heavy beating up front. Have now sanded it all down, and painted with permanent black spray. Needs to be pretty resiliant there.

The sides will do well with plastidip. Make sure you have cleaned them REALLY well. I had the rear strip in a bath, cleaned it to an inch of its life, and dried it completly. Make sure there is NO grease/dirt, etc at all or the paint will peal off (its very difficult for it to adhere to the plastic chrome pieces. Anything on there that will hamper it will mean it will peal off quickly). Really cant stress this enough.

Also, for when you are pealing off excess, use a very sharp craft knife or similar to cut where you need to remove otherwise you can get a piece which lifts part of the plastidip you want to remain. That means you have to start from scratch again.

The stuff is pretty cool. Get 4 or more spray cans (I pretty much used almost a full can just for the rear strip, plus a bit for practice). Took a full can (plus a bit of the other can) to do the front grill, but wasnt enough.

i wrapped my chrome strip, results were preety decent but will want doing again soon by a pro. for the front grill i dug deep and bought a genuine audi one

I carbon wrapped my front grill, and rear boot strip with a and b pillars. Then bought some what looks like 3 inch wide electricians tape and wrapped the ally trims. Did it last year as a rush job and it's only now just needing to be re done. Cost me no more than £30 for everything.