Decisions, decisions...

So you’ll pay the balloon payment? I’ve decided to keep mine for another year, although I bought it outright so not a particularly difficult decision. I did buy an extended warranty though. I thought £372 was pretty reasonable for a VAG backed warranty. I’ve watched the gearbox like a hawk for 3 years during which time it has been as good as gold. It would have been just my luck for it to go wrong if I hadn’t bought the warranty. In polite circles I think they call it Murphy’s law.
Yes, I'd get a extended warranty that covers all components as well. Balloon is around 15k then keep it for a couple of years until we retire then make a decision about one car for us both to use. But that could change depending upon where we end up retiring too...

To be honest I’m really surprised you think the CLA is nicer than the A4. The centre console is made out of the most unbelievably cheap plastic.

I compared my stepdad’s CLA against my S5 when I first read this thread a while ago and thought you were mad for cross shopping them. But just chalked it up to the CLA having an OTR of nearly half the S5 and that maybe the Audi “A” cars were worse than the “S” cars. But the bog standard A4 I’ve got on loan at the moment is equally nice inside with the exception of cloth seats, aluminium trim and tiny screen.

If it’s what you like I don’t want to rain on your parade but I wouldn’t dream of getting a CLA after having my S5 (and extension this A4 courtesy car). Especially when the CLA is lightly used S5/S4 money.
Have you actually seen the interior of the new A4, with the fl A5 following suit.
But each to their own, does your father have the new CLA by the way? Yes I could pay a similar price for another new A4, but actually go backwards in terms of options and equipment compared to my current one, and definitely far behind the CLA with the options I have chosen. An A5 sportback would also be more expensive, but all I'd be getting is an A4 with a different body so what would be the point in that? I would just feel I was sitting in a A4, but paying out more..

Have you actually seen the interior of the new A4, with the fl A5 following suit.
But each to their own, does your father have the new CLA by the way? Yes I could pay a similar price for another new A4, but actually go backwards in terms of options and equipment compared to my current one, and definitely far behind the CLA with the options I have chosen. An A5 sportback would also be more expensive, but all I'd be getting is an A4 with a different body so what would be the point in that? I would just feel I was sitting in a A4, but paying out more..

I have indeed seen the new interior of the A4, it’s still of a higher quality. And yes he has a brand new 69 plate one. It looks nice, but the feel of most of the interior is closer to my old 2012 A3 than it is my S5.

Comparing the CLA to the A4 just doesn’t make sense because they’re in a different class, the CLA is A3 level. Sure you may get more trinkets for the money but you’re getting a much worse off package overall.

Have you spent a decent amount of time in the CLA? As I say I don’t want to rain on your parade if it’s what you like, I’m just genuinely baffled

Reactions: tickedon
You are correct, the CLA technically is in the class of the A3, but hugely better, having owned a A3 saloon. It also has dimensions closer to the the A4 than the A3 and actually larger than the current C Class. Yes I have spent some time in all the A class variations and tested the hatchback, the saloon and the CLA. The hatchback was simply awful and on the basis of a road test in that version I had written off the Mercedes until the CLA came along. In fact I spent much of my recent enforced sabbatical looking at different vehicles to replace my A4.

To me yet another Audi would be a backwards step and cost me far more than the finance package the CLA is costing, some £65 a month less than my current one is. Plus I never buy the same car twice.

However I strongly disagree with your statement that I am getting a worse off package overall. But that's what forums are for. As the Audi's seem to be woefully behind with their technology these days, and have actually removed some positive features from their cars, I do not consider the CLA as merely having more 'trinkets'. There is more to the car than that, however I have found, depending upon the engine/gearbox combination, this can affect the overall driving experience of the CLA, which is why I've chosen the A250...

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
I am ditching my A4 next year and about to press the button on a Tesla Model 3.
They are a total revelation to drive, interior quality isn't up to Audi standards but there are so many plus points.
From next year BIK is zero on an EV so there is going to be a big shift in the direction of EV's very soon.
The M3 was the third best selling car in August in the UK.

The Audi Etron is basically a Q5 thats been electrified, its vast and has no appeal at all.

At the end of the day Audi are behind the curve playing catch up and having been an Audi owner for the last 23 years the brand has totally lost its appeal to me. The local dealer used to be great now they are all corporate and the service is expensive and impersonal.
I know Tesla will be impersonal but they don't actually need servicing and for minor things they come to you.

Reactions: A4B9, cuke2u and NevMan
I am ditching my A4 next year and about to press the button on a Tesla Model 3.
They are a total revelation to drive, interior quality isn't up to Audi standards but there are so many plus points.
From next year BIK is zero on an EV so there is going to be a big shift in the direction of EV's very soon.
The M3 was the third best selling car in August in the UK.

The Audi Etron is basically a Q5 thats been electrified, its vast and has no appeal at all.

At the end of the day Audi are behind the curve playing catch up and having been an Audi owner for the last 23 years the brand has totally lost its appeal to me. The local dealer used to be great now they are all corporate and the service is expensive and impersonal.
I know Tesla will be impersonal but they don't actually need servicing and for minor things they come to you.

Fair enough, plenty Tesla fans about, and as far as BIK if you are a business or company car makes complete sense.

E-tron is a long way off, not least charging networks at which Tesla lead by a mile. They will certainly get lots of business in the next few years, just not from me

Contrary to what is being stated in another thread over in the A3 8V forums, I assume by those who have only seen pictures of the Tesla and not even sat in one, it is a car whose technology is a class leader and benchmark that other manufacturer's aspire too. However far too expensive for me and at only 425 litres a tad on the small side.
But I don't doubt other manufacturers have been watching them and learning. So hopefully other EV competitor's will be coming soon...

Last edited:
I was seriously looking at a Tesla, being into technology it's essentially my dream realistic car. I did lots of calculations on the price and what amazed me is I'd only need to be doing around 1,500 miles a month and the savings on petrol would outstrip any additional cost of the Tesla vs. my pre-reg 2019 sport A4 with no extras.
Unfortunately I tend to do around 500-600 miles a month, sometimes less; so financially it just didn't work for me.
For anybody who can handle charging and does lots of miles the Tesla is almost a no brainer.

Same with me me, my current car has still only has 14200 miles after nearly three years of ownership...

Contrary to what is being stated in another thread over in the A3 8V forums, I assume by those who have only seen pictures of the Tesla and not even sat in one, it is a car whose technology is a class leader and benchmark that other manufacturer's aspire too. However far too expensive for me and at only 425 litres a tad on the small side.
But I don't doubt other manufacturers have been watching them and learning. So hopefully other EV competitor's will be coming soon...

I have sat in a few of them, and as you say class leader at the moment on tech, charging network, battery life so great for those that want one

Reactions: cuke2u
So you’ll pay the balloon payment? I’ve decided to keep mine for another year, although I bought it outright so not a particularly difficult decision. I did buy an extended warranty though. I thought £372 was pretty reasonable for a VAG backed warranty. I’ve watched the gearbox like a hawk for 3 years during which time it has been as good as gold. It would have been just my luck for it to go wrong if I hadn’t bought the warranty. In polite circles I think they call it Murphy’s law.
Quotes are coming out at either £446.57 for £0 excess, £372 for £100 excess and £297.42.for £250 excess, that's full cover on all components for one year. So I guess you choose the £100 excess. I am surprised the amounts are the same for different models though...

Last edited:
I have sat in a few of them, and as you say class leader at the moment on tech, charging network, battery life so great for those that want one

I havent driven a Model 3 just sat in one and the interior to me feels cheap and I personally dont like the 'starkness' of it. Looking out of the corner of your eye to see your speed also seems madness. The exterior styling is also very bland and a bit 'beluga whale'.

I spent 2 weeks with a P85 and didnt find anything positive - genuinely. It was the motoring equivalent of anesthetic. The example I drove was also on its 3rd set of batteries (gulp!) and had multiple other issues (had been sorted). When I had it the door handles failed to deploy several times, screen would just go blank randomly, it had so many squeeks and rattles. The performance was epic but weirdly not exciting. Although they are not like for like cars, I drove an E63s a few weeks later and it was of course slower but i was grinning like a cheshire cat and laughing out to myself when driving it.

I just cant get excited about them and have no desire to have one. Maybe I am missing something!

Reactions: Tej13, NevMan, jds_sg and 2 others
Ok might be a change of plan, more to follow as awaiting details...

Reactions: jds_sg, NevMan and V6_Man
a4eee709b5b550f116fdf0c9adaa0a31.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: DaveW
ROFL, Don't knock though, that was my first car, in that colour as well...

Nooo, not going for CLA anymore ... I am excited and looking forward to the update

Ok so after being off work since May through illness, back now though. One of my academies has decided they don't need my services anymore and have put out a restructure of ICT support to consultation, which make me redundant. With all consultations it it merely an exercise and the decision is all ready made in my experience.With the increase of hours at my other academy I can still afford the CLA but it is tighter. So have to sit down with my partner and talk this through but logic tells me not to commit to another deal then end up without car at the end of it as the final settlement for the CLA is very high and I would not have the funds to pay for it at the end of the deal, when I can pay off the A4 and keep it.

I think the decision is made really, but it's not like I'm losing out. Everytime I look at my A4 and drive it I do sometimes have this thought what am I doing and with only 14200 miles on it the car is hardly old...

Reactions: V6_Man, jds_sg and NevMan
If I were you I would definitely keep the A4, especially as it must feel like brand new with such low miles and careful ownership. See what's around in a year or two.

Mine is also just over 3 years old now (had it from 3 months) and it is a pretty much bog standard S line of 2016 spec, so no heated front seats, colour dash, alcantara, etc., as this was all extra when mine was made. However, as I own it outright, it doesn't seem worth upgrading to a newer one, and I don't miss what I haven't got. So I shall keep it for a year or two and then see what takes my fancy...am thinking new model 3 series at the mo...

The forum is saved, it'd be chaos if you left :yahoo:

Reactions: Jabba1980, NevMan, blackb9er and 2 others
Ok so after being off work since May through illness, back now though. One of my academies has decided they don't need my services anymore and have put out a restructure of ICT support to consultation, which make me redundant. With all consultations it it merely an exercise and the decision is all ready made in my experience.With the increase of hours at my other academy I can still afford the CLA but it is tighter. So have to sit down with my partner and talk this through but logic tells me not to commit to another deal then end up without car at the end of it as the final settlement for the CLA is very high and I would not have the funds to pay for it at the end of the deal, when I can pay off the A4 and keep it.

Sorry to hear about the redundancy. Sometimes I wish if there was an easier way of making organisations realise that they actually end up spending more than they think on the restructure in the form of consultancy costs. In the end, it is not cost effective as the outsourcing does cost more (in case an organisation is looking at outsourcing the ICT). It is only cost effective if a company has gone into administration. I have also seen companies often confusing restructure/re-org with redundancy and make the whole process unnecessarily difficult for themselves. Having said that, it is all part of an organisational maturity and learning.

Since 2012, I have been part of this new gimmick four times. I call it gimmick, as it is a new way of selling consultancy services by the Big Four, which is also benefiting the smaller firms. When I say part of it, it means the team responsible for managing the “restructure”. Rest assured that they will end up bringing people back in your position (and possibly others) in couple of years time :)

I think the decision is made really, but it's not like I'm losing out. Everytime I look at my A4 and drive it I do sometimes have this thought what am I doing and with only 14200 miles on it the car is hardly old...

Believe it is a sensible decision and I am sure it is the one you will not regret.

Reactions: jds_sg, cuke2u and NevMan
Sorry to hear about the redundancy. Sometimes I wish if there was an easier way of making organisations realise that they actually end up spending more than they think on the restructure in the form of consultancy costs. In the end, it is not cost effective as the outsourcing does cost more (in case an organisation is looking at outsourcing the ICT). It is only cost effective if a company has gone into administration. I have also seen companies often confusing restructure/re-org with redundancy and make the whole process unnecessarily difficult for themselves. Having said that, it is all part of an organisational maturity and learning.

Since 2012, I have been part of this new gimmick four times. I call it gimmick, as it is a new way of selling consultancy services by the Big Four, which is also benefiting the smaller firms. When I say part of it, it means the team responsible for managing the “restructure”. Rest assured that they will end up bringing people back in your position (and possibly others) in couple of years time :)

Believe it is a sensible decision and I am sure it is the one you will not regret.
I have had enough consultation paperwork now to wallpaper my bedroom, must getting on for at least 6 or 7 now with both schools. To be honest I'm not bothered, my partner has already retired and I've only two years to go. If it is a gimmick though it's been a long one. The academy in question has already outsourced to the local east sussex council ICT team anyway, and has been so for three years. They've just kept me on, but with reduced hours then, but the quality of work has nose dived. However, since I've been off, my fears were realised and they feel my services are not needed as they feel they've coped without me. Unless you talk to those most affected by hardware going wrong and not repaired. I came back to 10 new laptops setup by county, they were a mess, wrong language, software not installed. I've had to rebuild them all again.
Apologies, rant over...

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and V6_Man
I very nearly wrote to the salesperson yesterday to cancel the CLA, however.....

Reactions: NevMan and V6_Man
I know I know, just keep thinking he'll email me any day and say the car is being built and commit me. Choices, choices LOL...

This my friend has more drama then what we have seen under Boris since he became the PM

In a sort of similar position although Business contract hire. Was meant to end this March just gone after 3 years but with diesel gate and new models from elsewhere not available, new models to come out within a year I just extended by another year. Having spent a LONG time looking at all options I've come to the conclusion there just aren't many options, everything is a compromise of some sort. Currently in a 3.0 TDI Quattro S Line (218ps). Ideally I'd not want anything much slower 4 wheel drive, decent stereo etc. Choices seem to be new 330d x drive, Merc GLB 220d 4 matic or Superb 2.0 4 wheel drive. I doubt any of these will touch my current A4 for mpg, 47.9 which is a mix of town, A roads on a daily basis and 68.9 on motorway runs. This car has definitely had it's faults (around 15 from week two of delivery), I think the gearbox is rather dim witted when setting off from junctions/roundabouts. Strange when I had 3 A5's none of which suffered this problem, in fact between the 3 I had one minor wheel bearing issue that was resolved within an hour. Granted the A5's had 245PS not 218 but I can't see that making such a difference when setting off.

The facelifted A4 is a bit non descript and will likely be replaced by a totally new A4 within 12 months, yes it has more tech but I don't use or need most of it, no option for electric seats or matrix headlights anymore either. The price also seems to be a lot more compared to my 3 litre for a 2 litre. I just want a comfortable, reliable, 4 wheel drive automatic car with a good stereo, electric leather seats and decent headlights. Seems too much to ask, instead everything is a computer/ipad with the car attached to it.

Reactions: NevMan, jds_sg and V6_Man
In a sort of similar position although Business contract hire. Was meant to end this March just gone after 3 years but with diesel gate and new models from elsewhere not available, new models to come out within a year I just extended by another year. Having spent a LONG time looking at all options I've come to the conclusion there just aren't many options, everything is a compromise of some sort. Currently in a 3.0 TDI Quattro S Line (218ps). Ideally I'd not want anything much slower 4 wheel drive, decent stereo etc. Choices seem to be new 330d x drive, Merc GLB 220d 4 matic or Superb 2.0 4 wheel drive. I doubt any of these will touch my current A4 for mpg, 47.9 which is a mix of town, A roads on a daily basis and 68.9 on motorway runs. This car has definitely had it's faults (around 15 from week two of delivery), I think the gearbox is rather dim witted when setting off from junctions/roundabouts. Strange when I had 3 A5's none of which suffered this problem, in fact between the 3 I had one minor wheel bearing issue that was resolved within an hour. Granted the A5's had 245PS not 218 but I can't see that making such a difference when setting off.

The facelifted A4 is a bit non descript and will likely be replaced by a totally new A4 within 12 months, yes it has more tech but I don't use or need most of it, no option for electric seats or matrix headlights anymore either. The price also seems to be a lot more compared to my 3 litre for a 2 litre. I just want a comfortable, reliable, 4 wheel drive automatic car with a good stereo, electric leather seats and decent headlights. Seems too much to ask, instead everything is a computer/ipad with the car attached to it.

I'm in pretty much exactly the same position at the moment. :/

What have you looked at? Reading owner reviews and various forums I wonder how anyone buys any car as they all seem to have problems!

What have you looked at? Reading owner reviews and various forums I wonder how anyone buys any car as they all seem to have problems!
Yeah, I think there will always be scare stories - so long as it's in warranty, I'm not too bothered about the problems.

I considered an A3 saloon (184 TDI), another A4, the A5 TDI, Jag XE HSE, VW Arteon, Merc C300d. But as I mentioned in the separate thread I created, certainly on those last few, the monthly payments over 3 years were around (or in some cases a lot more than) a Tesla Model 3 standard edition. Which is food for thought...

Yeah, I think there will always be scare stories - so long as it's in warranty, I'm not too bothered about the problems.

I considered an A3 saloon (184 TDI), another A4, the A5 TDI, Jag XE HSE, VW Arteon, Merc C300d. But as I mentioned in the separate thread I created, certainly on those last few, the monthly payments over 3 years were around (or in some cases a lot more than) a Tesla Model 3 standard edition. Which is food for thought...

Just read your thread now. Not sure how fussed you are with having the latest model of a car but for what it's worth, there will be a new C class 2021, a new A3, I think the saloon stays but I think the 3 door won't exist anymore. You probably know the A4 is on facelift number 2 of the B9 gen so I'd expect a brand new one maybe late 2021. A5 will likely see it's second facelift and maybe again new model late 2021/early 2022.

Volvo, personal experience, look really nice, comfy but absolutely shocking on fuel, sat nav also pretty rubbish. Kia, not been in one or owned one but friends/family who have say they are good, long warranties, just not the badge.

I've just got a quote on the Sportline Superb 2.0TDI 4x4 and on 4 years 15k per annum under £400 though just over £2k down. 3 years just over £400 again, just over £2k down. Yet to test one. There will be a new Octavia very late this year/early next year from what I've managed to find out.

330d x drive around £500 per month, under £2k down
GLB 220d 4 matic around £600 per month again, under £2k down.

Don't know if any of that helps you or not, but seems we are looking at very similar terms. Feel free to DM me as happy to exchange opinions etc.

Reactions: V6_Man
There will not be a new A4 in 2021, more like post 2023 if the b8.5 is anything to go on...

Just caught up on this after some time and looks like quite the journey! Sorry to hear about your change in circumstances cuke2u - However I am sure you will make the best of it!

I think you'd do well either way. These B9's could hold some good residual value with the low tax, technology and no ridiculous touchscreens, but then would be just as nice to keep longer!

Not to steal your thunder (however I consider our cars close relatives as they came off the line around the same time!) I'm coming to the end if my A4 ownership, jumping ship in January to a Nissan Leaf e+ to take advantage of the gov 0% CCT from April. Whilst the Leaf has the same performance as the 190TFSI A4 unbelievably - I will miss the finesse of the Audi (perhaps not seat comfort)! Mine has just shy of 93,000 miles now.

There will not be a new A4 in 2021, more like post 2023 if the b8.5 is anything to go on...

I was just basing it on previous face lifts and how long after the new models arrive. Obviously not an exact science but has tended to be relatively accurate. Sadly my contact at Audi who used to get good insider information on model releases has moved on so back to the rumour mill and "clueless" dealers...:unamused:

I think my car is trying to tell me something, came out of the garage after filling up and had intermittent power, felt more like the gears but no warnings in the DIS. The car just wouldn't respond to any throttle, but did if I released it slightly I must admit the gears have felt a little different in the last few days as well.
Went into work a hour and a half later and no power issues but the gear change do feel a little strange.

We'll see how it goes and I'll mention it when the service comes up on the 25th. It might not be the gearbox, just me being paranoid...

Last edited:
Happened again this morning, definite hesitation, lack of power so now don't think it's gearbox related. I'll remove the malarkey from the engine and test again today. If it still happens I will contact the dealership as it is in for the service on the 25th and see if they will have the car in earlier.

Happened again this morning, definite hesitation, lack of power so now don't think it's gearbox related. I'll remove the malarkey from the engine and test again today. If it still happens I will contact the dealership as it is in for the service on the 25th and see if they will have the car in earlier.
Hi cuke2u just a question about the engine probs. on rip off britain yesterday and today they have been talking about fuel contamination with water from filling stations, might be an idea to have it checked.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had considered this however it started before then though, I noticed that the gearshifts were different and the car seem to surge. Once it clears it doesn't seem too bad...

Thanks for the suggestion, I had considered this however it started before then though, I noticed that the gearshifts were different and the car seem to surge. Once it clears it doesn't seem too bad...

I had a similar loss of power once, back end of last year. Pulled over, got out locked it. Waited a few minutes then unlocked and all seemed OK. Had a hesitant on start up issue which I was told initially there wasn't a problem, forced the issue they then said it was the moll battery (used for start/stop) replaced that FOC thankfully. Got it back filled up, then it refused to start. Did the same get out, lock, wait. It was OK, still the odd instance it seems hesitant to start but, touch wood not refused to start since. I always reported anything regardless of them looking at it whilst under warranty.