Defective modules

R0cket

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My S3 (2008 pre-FL) has had the battery disconnected for a long time but now it’s nearly ready to go back on the road.
I’ve cleared all my fault codes and done basic settings on the things that needed that doing but I still have 2 faults for defective modules.

Immobiliser - rom error
And instruments - defective

there were no fault codes at all when I drove the car last. And everything works as it should.

any ideas

Sounds like the clocks have had moisture in them, they don't like that

Did you buy car from new, as some instruments defective rom errors come mileage correction tools, thats not to say this is your reason, but do you have a previous scan to compare?

No I’ve had the car 3 years. It’s just been off the road for the last 2 years. Before it came off the road I had no error codes active which I was quite happy about too.

maybe the moisture thing is the reason. I have got some FL clocks which I’d fitted briefly which the hope of coding them in with vcds but I don’t think it can be done without other software so I swapped them back to the original clocks. I guess that’s caused this?

Might be because the other clocks had different mileage on them so it’s flicked between the correct and other mileage?

Nigel is bang on I’ve found that 99% of the time these faults are caused by obd mileage correction tools. But as it doesn’t cause any issues or problems it goes unnoticed until people scan and find it potentially years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NHN
I have switched from pre fl to fl and never got any errors. Mine were paired with odis

I have switched from pre fl to fl and never got any errors. Mine were paired with odis

It is odd, it could be the fact that it’s been laid up for two years. But like I said 99% of the time I’ve found it caused by obd correction tools.

What’s the part number of the cluster? If I’ve got the files here I can offer to rebuild it for you.

Reactions: NHN
Could you sort out getting my FL cluster to work and correct the mileage for me?

So the original clocks are back in? They light up fine but it just doesn't start?
VCDS should clear them, also the end of the dashboard are some fuses, just check ones not blown, quite sure one powers the dash

Could you sort out getting my FL cluster to work and correct the mileage for me?

Yes mate provided is a white cluster as I’m still waiting on the tooling for the red ones PM me and we’ll sort you out

The original clocks went back in shortly after. Everything works fine now. I just wanted the white instead of the red. No problems at all with the car

Reactions: LEE69
Yeah once you've had white you can't go back lol

Definitely i changed mine to the lastest version the other day so the efficiency screen and tmps is all working as the should. I did manage to get the needle sweep and lap timer etc working on mine and it’s proper swish for a 2004 1.9TDI lol

Reactions: LEE69
I have a set of 2012 ones in mine and got that screen is a nice upgrade. Needle sweep be nice :)

The only pain is the A3 never had park assist 2 (bay parking) I’ve fitted it to mine and it works etc but the parking spaces on the cluster won’t change to bays like they do on the vw’s it’s just a little annoying lol