Definite less under steer than S3

jerseypaul

Reaction score
Hi guys.
we had a really wet weekend over in jersey but got out in the car through some twisty stuff to give it some stick.
really noticed how much more planted it is been with ESP in sport mode and S button on.
The wet weather meant I could get to the limit of the tyres and it is a lot less understeery than the S3.
wider track, better tuned suspension and chassis I guess.
There's not a lot else out there with this combination of performance, practicality and understated looks.
Throw in some wet weather and you can smoke most things out there.
I know Scoobies and Evos have similar hp and drivetrain but they look like they've crashed into Halfords and dont hang onto their value.
loving this car.

Did you go for the 255 front option, Paul?

cheers mate:icon_thumright: interesting to have the comparison vs the s3.. I wonder how much difference the extra wide fronts will make? sounds like its a pretty well sorted combo of all factors for the road already...?

Is so true. After a week in a courtesy S3 the RS feels very planted.

Is so true. After a week in a courtesy S3 the RS feels very planted.
There light years apart, the S3 i have at the moment is very like my R32, very chuck able and easy to get the rear out Not enjoying the hug flat spot / lag the S3 has at low revs, very irksome at lights etc. I prefer the R Golf which does not seem to suffer from this. The RS3 just feels like a completely new car.

Did you go for the 255 front option, Paul?
I will let you know in a month if they make much difference, I hope its more than just a RIM change and theres some physical change to the car, because £1500 for half inch rim increase is .....

I will let you know in a month if they make much difference, I hope its more than just a RIM change and theres some physical change to the car, because £1500 for half inch rim increase is .....

What else can it be if you order extra wide tyres?
Are there othe associated changes?
seems a bit steep.

AFAIK it's just the rim size change? I was just in the box ticking mood myself that day...:lmfao: you can't swap any of the wheels around anyway so it's gonna be an expensive ride as far as tyres go I reckon, with or without the 255, the fronts and rears are still different sizes, so every time you wear a front, a new one must go on!:scared2:.. Four wheel drive the haldex way, they are all gonna wear the fronts quicker than the rears?

AFAIK it's just the rim size change? I was just in the box ticking mood myself that day...:lmfao: you can't swap any of the wheels around anyway so it's gonna be an expensive ride as far as tyres go I reckon, with or without the 255, the fronts and rears are still different sizes, so every time you wear a front, a new one must go on!:scared2:.. Four wheel drive the haldex way, they are all gonna wear the fronts quicker than the rears?

Yes, fronts will wear quicker.
pall part and parcel of ownership these days.
Jeremy Clarkson does a great write up on tyres on the Top Gear website.
the RS2 used to eat tyres with the Torsen diff.
manouvering at low speed you could hear and feel the tyres scrubbing as the diff tightened.
New set every 9000 miles !