Delivery miles

Ryanytchan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just ordered my A3 1.8 SB. What sort of delivery miles is everyone getting? Should I be expecting something around 50 or? And one other thing- has anyone been been able to get the dealership to deliver with a full tank of gas?

Have a good weekend!

My A3 had 10 miles when collected and the wifes A1 had 8 miles, seen some people quote figures of up to 20. Somewhere around 15 would seem about right.

I work all over the UK and Europe. Last long trip was England, Wales, Southern Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland then back home to England all in 36 hours. I think that was 800-900 miles

Mine had 30 something miles on it when I collected. Explanation given from the dealer was that the PDI had been done at another of their branches (the paperwork supported this) and then driven over. Still a bit concerned someone else had a test drive in the car as well, but then I like to worry!

Mine had 30 something miles on it when I collected. Explanation given from the dealer was that the PDI had been done at another of their branches (the paperwork supported this) and then driven over. Still a bit concerned someone else had a test drive in the car as well, but then I like to worry!
What's PDI by the way?

10 miles on the clock for me. Half a tank of fuel.

Anything more than 10 miles is unacceptable, in fact, imagine the gunning they'll get by some valeter from the wash bay to the dealership.... I once saw a new golf gti gunned from the valet bay and it dropped a valve, blowing the engine head.".... I was shocked.!

Anything more than 10 miles is unacceptable, in fact, imagine the gunning they'll get by some valeter from the wash bay to the dealership.... I once saw a new golf gti gunned from the valet bay and it dropped a valve, blowing the engine head.".... I was shocked.!

Next to where i work used to be a garage that did car tuning etc.
The young lad that used to drive cars round the back of the warehouse's to wash them used to thrash the cars, i saw him when he was showing off one day, he floored the accelerator on a brand new Lotus Elise (when they first came out) as he pulled out, he got 10m down the lane before he lost control, slammed sideways into a kerb and flipped the car on 2 wheels and very nearly flipped the car on its roof, but only just came down the right way up!
he wrote off all 4 alloys and tyres, messed up the suspension, and damaged the body work, etc.
all this in front of most of his work mates and bosses !
it was quite spectacular to watch.
They must have had to do some serious explaining to the customer !

It was a bit like this Lamborghini crash, but far more spectacular

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY

Next to where i work used to be a garage that did car tuning etc.
The young lad that used to drive cars round the back of the warehouse's to wash them used to thrash the cars, i saw him when he was showing off one day, he floored the accelerator on a brand new Lotus Elise (when they first came out) as he pulled out, he got 10m down the lane before he lost control, slammed sideways into a kerb and flipped the car on 2 wheels and very nearly flipped the car on its roof, but only just came down the right way up!
he wrote off all 4 alloys and tyres, messed up the suspension, and damaged the body work, etc.
all this in front of most of his work mates and bosses !
it was quite spectacular to watch.
They must have had to do some serious explaining to the customer !

It was a bit like this Lamborghini crash, but far more spectacular

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY
]

Is it worth it if I tell them to minimise delivery miles i.e forget about filling up the tank too? Or just accept it if the mileage is under 10

8 on mine when collected and half tank petrol (eventually got him to fill it up before taken it) :happy:

When we had an r8gt come through it had 87 miles on it but they are taken on an extensive road test before being shipped over. I'll let you guys know when mine arrives but I'm hoping 2 maybe 3 hopefully! :)

Anything more than 10 miles is unacceptable, in fact, imagine the gunning they'll get by some valeter from the wash bay to the dealership.

>10 miles unacceptable? No - that's an unrealistic expectation. You'd be hard pushed to get anywhere with arguing if the mileage was below ~50 (excluding driven delivery).

Having said that, mine had 8, and my previous Audi had 9 miles on it.

Do they get ragged before delivery? Depends on the garage but most dealers nowadays wouldn't want to risk the customer (or a potential customer) spotting it. Some 3rd party valeters or the dock workers who unload them - quite probably do. Someone posted on here ~6 months ago about that as he heard them driven hard as he was passing one of the docks where cars were being unloaded..

John.

Anything more than 10 miles is unacceptable, in fact, imagine the gunning they'll get by some valeter from the wash bay to the dealership....
I don't think that's a reasonable expectation in my experience... Obviously the fewer miles the better, but in my experience of 3 new cars over the years, from memory, I think my Octavia had about 15 miles back in 2002, my wife's MINI had about 13 miles in 2005, and my new A3 had 11.

Also my dealer told me that the cars are shipped in a 'limp mode' with most of the features inactive, so the guys in the ports only have the necessary functions available to them. Only when the dealer does the PDI and activates the MMI etc. can you get all the functions and power. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Think mine had 7 miles and a full tank of fuel.

It used to be the case ( not sure if still the case) that the dealer could reset the mileage to zero, as long as mileage hadn't gone above a certain figure. I know this to be true as when I got my R32 a few years ago the mileage was something like 5 miles, but when you looked at the trip computer you could see the car had done quite a few more.

I just picked up and had 10 miles on it and just over 1/2 tank of fuel, oh and free chocolates.

Cant remember 15 maybe at the most, remember wondering which side the trip and mileage was at first, no chocolates but a bottle of champagne for me, if i'd known they did them would have hinted at some of those as well.

Oh and I remember thinking the range on the DIS looked a bit rubbish compared to the 8p sportback I had been driving for a couple of months but I since reckon the tank must be a bit smaller, makes sense because I remember being surprised it had more than half a tank showing despite them probably only putting the same £20 in or so for delivery.

54 miles & half a tank of fuel :smirk:

Clearly mine had a good nuttsing ( is that a word??) before I picked it up.

My S1 had 112 miles & a full tank so they must have gone joyriding in that too :racer:

Reactions: veeeight
When I picked up my 8P in 2010 it had 60 miles on the clock. It did make me wonder at the time as my previous 3 cars had only the miles needed for the PDI -about 6 or 7 as I recall. However, this was a stock vehicle whereas the previous 3 had been more or less straight off the transporter. When I got it home I looked at the documents and found that it had been manufactured 9 months before I took delivery and it had had a PDI 5 months later. By the time I took delivery, a further 4 months had elapsed so I guessed it must have been a cancelled order or something similar. The dealership also had 3 branches and it might have been transferred between the branches in an attempt to sell it for all I know.

My current car was at Aberdeen Audi and was transported down to Hants for me to take delivery. I think it had 12 miles on the clock which I found more reassuring.

13 miles and a full tank ;)