Diagnosis? - oil leak pics - 2005 3.2

Swinny

Reaction score
My car (2005 3.2 manual) went to audi for its MOT and they highlighted a 'potential prop leak' it passed and they included it as an advisory and wanted £250 for further investigation. Ermmmm......No thanks.
My dad's got a garage and ramp so had a look. Took the undercarriage cover off and saw this........

photo11.jpg

This area just above the sub frame looked about the worst, I did my best to take a couple photo's..........

photo31.jpg

photo41.jpg

It feels like power steering oil but as it has no reservoir could not check level. Checked gearbox oil level and thats fine. It doesn't look like its coming from the prop but has maybe covered it and since been sprayed everywhere??
Looking from above down the back of the engine it is also wet, from around where the lamda sensors are on the downpipes and below, all over the sub frame. Is the power steering system a sealed system built into the steering rack or is there someway of checking the fluid?

It did have an issue with cutting out when the revs dropped below 600-700rpm? The yellow ESP light came on and stayed on for a day. Then the next day it was fine and it has been since. It threw up a code for an MAF fault, but I cleared it and had no trouble...........touch wood!

Any ideas before I'm let loose with a socket set?
Cheers

On the 8P A3's the steering is assisted via an electric motor. So no fluid to leak.

First and foremost, get some degreaser down the back of the engine and clean as much off as possible. By chance can you see the highest point where the oil is? (half way up the engine, from the top, or is the engine bone dry)